“This is not the #5 hotel”

Loews Regency San Francisco
Ranked #2 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 October 2017

I stay in a lot of great hotels - Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, Intercontinental Hong Kong, Mandarin Oriental, Wynn Tower at the Wynn, etc. - and generally in suites. This was the first time that I've stayed in a Loews.

My stay did not leave me with the impression that the quality of service or the nature of the hospitality provided by Loews puts them in the tier of the other hotels in that list. *No one* should consider rating this as the #5 hotel in San Francisco.

a) No one was able to serve breakfast to us (in our room or the dining room) before 6:30 AM. This is a West Coast business hotel, guys - anyone with a flight before 9 AM out of SFO that wants to eat breakfast in the hotel can't do it.

b) When I asked Michael the concierge if we could have room service at 5:00 AM he seemed totally mystified by the request. (Clefs d'Or, indeed!) He didn't know when the pastries would come, when the kitchen would really get started, whether we could even really get coffee for sure, or even who to speak with to get the answers. He stammered over all of it, kind of made a phone call, and sort of shrugged. We spent several thousand dollars at your hotel in two days and the best your front desk hospitality could manage was "you should probably figure out a plan B." *Literally* "you should probably figure out a plan B." Huh? Michael didn't even have a copy of the room service menu at the concierge station. Huh?

c) OK, so you have decided that you don't want to serve breakfast customers before 6:30 AM and your concierge doesn't know how to help luxury travelers. I get that. Maybe there's a 24-hour option for cold food? Oh, sorry, no - the "overnight" room service menu was entirely inadequate. It was, in fact, so forlorn that I almost took a photo of it. YOU HAVE TWO KINDS OF SALAD ON A SIX ITEM OVERNIGHT MENU. Who on earth wants a green salad at three in the morning? There was a turkey sandwich on the menu which would undoubtedly have come out of a package and have been microwaved. Yuck. Gross. Silly. Stupid. Get the picture?

d) There were long black hairs in the shower basin during my first shower. I don't have long black hair.

e) There were stains and watermarks on the bed frame - oooh, gross.

f) The finish on the wood in the minibar and the desk was obviously old and crummy and was missing in some areas. Not first class. If you're going to buy the Mandarin, at least change out the furniture. Laughably, the minibar had two totally empty drawers. Huh? I was so mystified by that I took a picture and have included it in my review.

g) A double espresso to my room was $18 and change. When you stay in a Deluxe Suite at the Intercontinental Hong Kong in Kowloon, they have an espresso machine in your room. Even modest hotels at a global standard have a hot water heater in their room and some instant coffee. You? Zilch. Did you take the chance to add some of the new Blue Bottle instant coffee to the room, since you're right in San Francisco? Nope. Your hotel is a smash-and-grab money generation operation, and little else.

I noticed but won't particularly complain that the fruit bowl by the elevator was allowed to run out - or that the chicken hash served in the morning didn't match the recipe that was presented in the breakfast menu.

While you re-did the main room in the junior suite in tasteful blues and creams, you left the 1980's pink marble buildout in the bathroom. (Check out the Four Seasons in Shenzhen - really, actually, almost any nice new hotel in the world - for a better way to treat a bathroom. If you want luxury travelers to return, you have to invest in details like that.)

Your website was programmed by someone that doesn't know how to use Chrome's Autofill feature - the fields don't line up with Chrome so I had to re-enter things (name, address) that shouldn't have to be re-entered. The "state" dropdown only recognizes the first keystroke, and it does so in funny ways. This is 2017, and there's no excuse for your website programmers getting in the way of ecommerce.

Overall, the feeling of the hotel was more like a stop-and-rob in Las Vegas where everything costs you dearly - not a posh, sensitive retreat in the sky in beautiful downtown San Francisco.

The view is wonderful. I loved the hotel when it was the Mandarin.

All of the things combined don't indicate that I had a bad day at the hotel - bad days happen and I think that I'm sensitive to them. That chain of problems indicate that the hotel doesn't have a direction and that the hospitality tone for the business is inadequate and/or corrupt.

No part of this experience felt "luxury" and no part of it is worth repeating.

It will take a lot of getting your act straight before I would ever considered staying here or another of your properties again.

This hotel is thoroughly not recommended for luxury travelers.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Dean_G-LRSF, General Manager at Loews Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Dear Missingthemandarin,

These experiences and others mentioned in your review are not the norm at Loews. We take great steps to ensure a positive guest experience. We thank you for your feedback and have shared with all appropriate areas of the hotel. We hope you will stay with us again and allow us the opportunity to address the issues of concern. I also responded to your survey as well and if you would like to discuss further please feel welcome to respond to the email and I look forward to speaking with you.

Dean Griffin

Reviewed 2 October 2017

I have stayed around SF many times and the Loews Regency is my favorite hotel, Easily the best view, calm, and quiet. I must say that the beds are extremely comfortable and made for pleasant nights sleep.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tsz109
Anthony E, Manager at Loews Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

Dear Tsz109,

We are proud that you have made the Loews Regency your home away from home. Many guests comment about the plush beds, they are extremely comfortable, and most definitely a factor in a good night's rest. We are looking forward to your next stay and if you need anything, please feel free to reach out to me directly. -Anthony

Missing the other hotel!
Stunning views and location make this hotel still worth checking out although the decor is tired and furniture very basic. Quite frankly we miss the mandarin oriental which was what this used to be with its elegance and old world style.

Room Tip: High floor! Stunning views although furniture is very tired and pedestrian. We miss the Mandarin O...
Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 2 October 2017

I got in early and asked to leave my bags in their closet while I attend meetings during the day. The staff advised that my room was ready to check in, which allowed me to hang my suits and get myself organized before starting the day.

I also went for a run in the morning and the staff gave me a banana at 5:30AM before my run and a water upon my return. The amenities were of high quality. The very friendly and attentive staff is the reason for the 5 star rating.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank herman_brito
Reviewed 26 September 2017

Check in took about 2 minutes - very professionally handled and straight-forward. The lobby is small, has wifi guest access, and a well managed restaurant. Ordered Eggs Benedict one morning and it arrived minutes later with perfectly done eggs - always tricky for a busy team to handle. The rooms start on the 38th floor - if you want a good view, you'll likely want a room on 40 or higher to avoid a railing and balcony outside your window. The view is exquisite, however, and you can easily see Golden Gate as well as Alcatraz and the harbor area. The room itself is comfortable, with a good sized bathroom. The HVAC system is quiet and highly efficient. The bedding is very comfortable and the room is quiet. You may wish to ask for a room without a connecting door to avoid any noise from the adjoining room. My neighbors were quiet but I could hear an occasional sound from time to time. There are two elevators handling the hotel, but they are fast and waiting time was never excessive. Overall, a very pleasant stay at a hotel with a highly professional and accomplished staff.

Room Tip: Higher floors have best views
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank TwinComanche
Anthony E, Manager at Loews Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Thank you TwinComanche, for such a great detailed review. From the restaurant, to the room temp, to the views, it looks like you truly enjoyed your time with us. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and point out a few great tips! We do hope to see you back to the property soon! If you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to reach out! -Anthony

Reviewed 26 September 2017

We stayed at the Loews Regency for a long weekend (25th wedding anniversary). This hotel is amazing! They made us feel "at home". This was our first stay at this hotel and we will certainly return! Great location, outstanding staff and service that is truly remarkable. We stayed to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. The hotel sent up champagne and chocolates (so thoughtful)! Everyone called us by first names and it was as if we had been to this hotel many times. So incredible to receive such care from everyone at the hotel. I would HIGHLY recommend!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 0Familytraveler0

Dear 0Familytraveler0,

Happy Anniversary once again, we are so happy you choose to stay with us on such a momentous occasion! We appreciate your Highly Recommend as well, I will make sure this review gets to the team so they can all read it and know they make a difference each and every day! We hope to see you back soon! -Anthony

Reviewed 11 September 2017

This is an outstanding hotel in the San Francisco area . My wife and I were extremely impressed on the professionalism and expertise of the staff ! They met our every need! The restaurant was absolutely wonderful ! They even offered a hotel car to take us to dinner ! Five stars for this one !

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank macfairley
Anthony E, Manager at Loews Regency San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Dear macfairley,

Thank you for the glowing review, it is so appreciated. We are always so happy to hear from satisfied guests like yourself! We hope to have you back soon, and if there is anything you need next time around, please do not hesitate to let me know! -Anthony