“Budget motel/ Inn” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 71 San Francisco B&B and Inns
Jerusalem, Israel
“Budget motel/ Inn”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Absolutely nothing to reproach, as this Inn is exactly as it promotes itself: basic, clean, motel-style property. It was also good priced, or at least its price was good for us. We booked it because it was our first visit to San Francisco ever, and my biggest concern was about high parking cost there. So we were happy to get it with its free parking, and explored the city by walking. I think it took us about 10 minutes on foot intil we reached Russian Hhill with its dramatically steep streets and nice views over the bay. It was also good for us as drivers, because its location is convenient for first-time visitors.
The breakfast included juice, a muffin and coffe or tea. We got a room with kitchenette (a fridge, a stove, a table). although we didn't use it at all. I hope to visit San Francisco again and book something better than basic, but I can easily recommend this hotel for those who prefer to save money on accommodation and spend it rather elsewhere.

Room Tip: we receved a room on the 1st floor on the left, when looking from the hotel entrance towards its yar...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kipakip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hebrew first
Decatur, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

Have stayed here several times on trips to San Francisco and surrounding area. Hasn’t changed outside appearance in years. Small, 2-story building less than a block from busy Van Ness, but street noise isn’t bad. Don’t stay here for the ambience or well-appointed rooms. Rooms are typical ‘60s era-looking motel rooms but well maintained and very clean. Friendly staff, free parking in front of rooms. Modest ‘continental’ breakfast is free (coffee, juice, pastries). Easy walk to good restaurants and shops further down Union St. (which is not to be confused with the busy, downtown Union Square district). Bus stop about 50 yards from motel takes you straight to North Beach or downtown with ease. Not a bad walk to Marina area or even to Fisherman’s Wharf. Great place to stay if you plan on day trips to Marin County or Napa/Sonoma.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Elk Grove, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

Pleasant & helpful staff, willing to discipline unruly guests that were drunk & noisy. Inexpensive by San Francisco standards, including free parking. We only stayed one night & they allowed us to leave the car while we used Muni to tool about the city. Ask for a room on the second floor in the back or the left hand side (as you face the motel) to dampen the noise.

The place is a wee bit run down, furnishings & bathroom are showing aging & a lack of real reinvestment, but the price was reasonable.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank klpopp
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

This is what I would call your old-fashioned motor-in motel, which means it has the plus of onsite parking (although not enough for everyone). The "Inn" in Pacific Heights is stretching it a bit, as well as claiming " Pacific Heights" as it is next to busy Van Ness Ave. on Union Street. Decent area, but not swanky Pacific Heights. We had an upstairs room with an extra bedroom in which we could close the door. Great for two couples. It was quiet considering proximity to Van Ness Ave. Very clean. Mostly, it was reasonable for the price. My ownly BIG complaint was that I had to change rooms as my room which was supposed to be "non-smoking" reeked of cigarettes. Thankfully, the manager had a room she reluctantly allowed me to move to. Otherwise, no complaints!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Designer-at-Large
Jystrup, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

Our room was very small, but it was clean and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JanH0lm
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed here on Sep.7 for 5 nights, the three of us: me, my wife and our 14YO son. If I have to rank the features of this hotel in consecutive order, then they will be: 1.Location, 2. Staffs, 3.FREE Parking.

I selected this hotel after reading TripAdvisor review about hotels in SF 2 months before our family vacation to SF.
I contacted the hotel a couple of times both by emails and phone calls. I always do that, my 1st impression of the hotel would always come from how the staffs responded to me over a telephone calls (and emails) where I can set my preference and expectations, considering this would be a long trip from my home,

STAFFS responded very well (Jonah and Sue). They received my calls and answered my questions professionally and warmly. Quite detail information has been given before even we arrive. When we arrived, the other front desk staff (named Young) also assist us with excellent information on where to go and how. He gave me a handy map of SF complete with bus routes, cable-cars and light-rails information which then proved to be very useful for us. We went out of town to Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz and Monterey as advised by Jonah, wonderful trip! Furthermore they helped me by calling a taxi cab and also made a reservation for car-rental. Superb! Another thing is I accidentally locked my bathroom door at 4 in the morning and the front staffs lightheartedly came into my room bringing key to open the door.

LOCATION. Perfect, just as Sue wrote me in the email, it is close to downtown but fairly away to from the noises. Walking from the hotel to there are intersection (Union St. and Van Ness) where you can catch a bus in four different directions, which can take you directly to Fisherman Wharfs, Ghirardelli Square, Pier 39, (Bus47) and the other is to North Beach, Chinatown, Union Square, SF Museum of Modern Art). The SFCityPass that we purchased really paid for itself, we took the buses and the famous cable-cars and mainly because the hotel's location to these bus stops. I rented a car also but for out of town trip. I took Jonah advice on this, go for public transportation if you're heading downtown SF and I was glad that I did. Parking is not only expensive in SF but also difficult and not too flexible (you can park only at certain time, 2 hrs.max or you go for that expensive private parking lot).

FREE PARKING. We liked this very much, where other hotel will charge you up to $40/night for a parking spot. Be mindful that most of the time if you returned to the hotel in the evening, all the spaces would be already occupied, but then again, the hotel staff came to the rescue. They let us to leave our car (blocking another car) and kept the car key with them, and the next morning, my car already parked properly. Very nice!

ROOM & OTHER FACILTIES. Most important, room is clean, including the bathroom and the kitchen. We booked a double bed room with kitchen. The interior is not modern, a bit dated but clean. No AC but we never needed it anyway. Beds were comfortable, the room itself is not small, but with two beds, TV and work desk, it leaves you a little space for your luggage. There is one closet but kind of small. The solution for this, we put some of our luggage in the kitchen!
Our room is #19, upstairs (top floor/2nd floor). I chose that hoping that I would not be hearing people stomping on the floor. Glad that I made that choice.
Minimum noise level but still you may hear fire-truck sirens; all in all we had good sleeps. As long as you don’t choose the room facing the street, it will be OK.

Bathroom was OK, clean and there is window with enough natural light. Clean white towels were provided OK. The downside is the shower has a mind of its own, consistently changing the water flow from hot and cold, back and forth, again and again, forcing me to keep adjusting the valve during shower.
The kitchen is just standard, stove and microwave, fridge and a small dining table for three. Cutlery is very limited but OK.

BREAKFAST. Note that for the advertised free breakfast, they are just some muffins bagels with a choice of coffee, tea, orange juice and hot chocolate. The breakfast room is literally at the front office where you arrive and meet the front desk’s staff. It has only one table for two, we never use that, too small for the three of us and not too comfortable having breakfast with other person standing next to you talking to the front desk’s staff. We just went there, grabbed a couple of muffins and juices and ate them in the room/kitchen, far better that way.
There are also vending machines available for some light snacks and sodas.

FREE WIFI. Now this is very good. A strong and very fast internet connection is available 24/7. I specifically requested for this as I read one review from TripAdvisor that you do not want the room facing the street where the wifi reception is very poor. I’m very satisfied with this.

The hotel may consider in updating some room details (shower, the old tube TV, kitchenware) still OK for now but not next year. The friendly and helpful staffs is the winning point.

So $159/night (high season) for its superb location, quiet, basic clean room with free parking + free wifi in S.F. and extremely helpful staffs, then it’s worth of your money.
It is recommended.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the 2nd floor but not facing the street. I stayed in room #19, recommended. No elev...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank PakdeGaBi
San Diego, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

Stayed here a couple of years and going back this week. It's within walking distance of the Wharf and there's free parking. It's also only about an hour's drive from Nappa. Good day trip. I stayed in a single room for two nights on the ground floor. Plenty of places to eat and walk around town. Bus stops around the corner.
Small single room, nice bathroom, clean. Was perfect for what I needed. Nothing fancy, in and out for a decent price. Paid under $100 a night.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if you will be able to get a parking space. The lot is small and that's one th...
  • Stayed November 2010, travelled solo