“Very happy with this hotel”

Le Meridien San Francisco
Ranked #39 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The reception desk was busy when we arrived but the little wait was worth our while. We never felt so welcomed. The staff was professional, friendly and eager to help with any questions.
The room was spacious and had good views. The only flaw i could point out it's the carpet: it looks a bit tired. In my opinion It would be way nicer to have hardwood floors. I loved the comfortable armchair by the wonderful big bed. The Bedroom had a big TV and a stereo, good looking side table lamps, good bedding.
The Bathroom had a view as well, so much light and an unbeatable overall ambiance. I am not a huge fan of the windowless hotel bathrooms! The toilet had a separate space, i like that too.
Maybe the bathtub could be bigger and them would make harder for me to go see the city! i would just stay way to longer in that bath!
There was also a little office with a desk, another TV and plenty of storage space - would work great for someones who intends to stay over a week there. The office offered a view of the prudential building which was great.
The toiletries smelled good (you forgot to bring your own shampoo/moisturizer etc).
There was free coffee at the front bar on the reception area in the morning.
The area where the hotel is located it's quiet in the weekends, but there are some restaurants and there is also the great Embarcadero - Ferry Building Market Place. One cannot go to San Francisco and skip this place. It's a must see place.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,130)

Reviewed 23 September 2012

I was in town for business and tired of staying at the nearby Westin. Nice room, roomy, clean, quiet. Nice sized bathroom. I got in very late and had to work in the room so i got room service dinner which was pretty good. The room service breakfast was great delivered quickly and yummy.

A minor issue was that I booked a room with a view of the San Francisco bay and while I did get this room, the hotel is a bit far from the bay and the view was 85 percent blocked by other hotels and buildings.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2012

The hotel is contemporary without being far out. My room was a good size and had a divan. It was very quiet at night even though it was facing the street. There is a good gym and free Internet for those of us without Iphones, etc. The people were very nice and helpful.

The location is a bit of a problem; it is very near the Embarcadero, but you have to walk through (or past) four blocks of the Embarcadero Center complex to get to the Ferry Building etc. The hotel is in a business district and there are not many places to eat at night or on weekends. Also, it is a bit of a walk to get to the BART station.

But all in all, the positives outweigh the location; I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Out_of_valley
Reviewed 22 September 2012

I found this deal randomly on hotwire.com after desperately trying to find a place in SF. So, that said, I was much less critical. However, as others have alluded to, there were some problems with cleanliness-- there were other people's hair in the bath (not that I was going to take one anyway.... but). Otherwise, it was clean (clean sheets!) and good room service, staff was nice, easy to find taxis etc. Would I stay here again if I wasn't in a pinch or paying full price? No, but it was a good hotwire deal.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2012

Let me start with the few positives - I liked the location because it relatively close walking to landmarks. I liked the modern design of the hotel. The bed was comfortable. That's all I've got.

Now for the negatives (and there are many): The biggest issue we've had has been financially. We prepaid for the room about 3 months before our stay. Upon arrival, they took my credit card to place a hold on it, as most hotels do. I was very surprised, however, when the next day a charge of almost a 2 night's stay showed up on my bank account. I inquired at the front desk. I was told that it's typically a $100 hold, but for some reason that computer was charging me close to $500. But I was told that it's just a pre-authorization that will come off when we check out. I guess that should have raised a red flag, but I let it go. On our second to last day there, another almost $500 charge showed up on my account, which caused my bank account to be overdrawn. This time, I asked to speak with a manager. I spoke with someone named Kathryn who was not very helpful. She couldn't give me a good reason why the computer wasn't registering that we had prepaid. Then, instead of taking care of the situation herself, she told me I would have to call my bank and explain the situation to them so they could contact her about it. A good manager would have called my bank herself. Again, she told me it was just a pre-authorization hold that would reverse when we checked out the next day. I went back up to my room to call my bank, but couldn't reach anyone since it was a Sunday. Since we were checking out the next day anyway, I decided to just let it go and wait for the charges to reverse after checking out. I did contact my bank the next day to be sure I wouldn't be charged any overdraft fees, and the rep I talked to said there is no reason why the hotel couldn't have contacted them to have the charges reversed. Now, 3 days after checking out of this hotel, ANOTHER charge of almost $800 has been charged to my account. This one, however, is not a pre-authorization - it was pulled right out of my account. I called the hotel this morning and am still waiting on a call back to get answers. I was told they would call me back after they "verified" my hotel reservation. That was 45 minutes ago. You can see how important they think their customers are.

I would expect mistakes and behavior like this from a hotel like a Days Inn, but a $260/night hotel? They should be bending over backwards to make sure I'm happy.

Other negatives: the thing I disliked about the location was that, since it is the Financial District, it was empty at night. Some may consider this a good thing because noise was reduced, but walking back to the hotel at night felt a tad unsafe.

The walls were paper thin. I could hear people talking in the next room our first night there. It sounded like they were talking at a normal level. I could also hear their phone ringing through the wall.

Not a huge deal, but our favorite TV station didn't have sound for the entire stay. Every other channel did.

The bathroom didn't offer much privacy because it had a sliding door instead of one that locked into place. The toilet was very loud upon flushing.

The temperature of the room was very uncomfortable. I set the thermostat at 65 because it was so hot in our room, but I never really felt the room cool down. I would sweat through the night and have trouble sleeping. I've never had this problem sleeping at any other hotel.

I did not complain about the TV station not working or the temperature in the room while we were there. If I had, they may have been fixed for us, who knows. And if those had been our only issues, I would not have felt the need to come here and air our grievances. But the continuing financial issues we've had with this hotel just make me realize how poor everything else turned out to be for the price point of this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Lori S
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Great hotel, staff so nice and helpful. Room was great, huge tv, fast Internet, very clean. Slight negative that the financial district is quiet at night but more than offset by the fact that the hotel is so great. Used the gym as well and it was clean and modern.

I would almost certainly stay here if in San fran again. Last point, the bed was so comfortable that I almost couldn't leave the room.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2012

When I recently stayed at the LeMeridien in San Francisco I woke up three consecutive nights in a row with bug bites. When I first went to bed around midnight, I had no bites but when I woke up around 6:00 a.m. the next morning, I had about six bites on my body. They were red and iched. In fact, the itching is what woke me up. The next morning, I again woke to excessive itching and noticed approximately six more bites on my body which looked exactly the same as the ones before. At this time, I was convinced there were bugs in the bed biting me throughout the night. I became even more convinced that I was getting bitten through the night because when I went to bed the third night around midnight, I again awoke around 6:00 a.m. the next morning with approximately six additional bites. All of the bites were on my torso area. I showed them each morning to both my husband and adult son and we were all totally convinced I had gotten bitten by bugs throughout the night. I reported it to hotel management and they "claim" (as I expected they would) they had an inspection done and no bugs were found but a formal investigation has been requested because I know, for a fact, I was bitten multiple times while sleeping in that hotel. So, if you stay here, I hope you don't get bitten.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Concerned248
kkehs1, General Manager at Le Meridien San Francisco, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

LeMeridien has a detailed nuetral third party procedure in place that addresses any bed bug concerns. Clark Pest Control is contracted to do a thorough investigation of the guest room in question.

The inspection found no evidence of any bed bugs; and as requested the copy of the report was shared with you. All guest concerns and feedback is taken seriously at LeMeridien and personally handled in a timely manner.

We appreciate your business and feedback.

Pradeep Bobba