“Horrible, Aweful, Likely BEDBUGS”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #181 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 14 July 2011

The halls REEK of mildew. The elevators stink and are achingly slow, often completely full (with foreign tourists) when arriving. This is a special problem whereas one is anxious to get on the elevator to escape the mildew reek that concentrates in the upstairs hallways. Though I checked for signed of bedbugs and found none, I nonetheless found a very unusual bug bite on my arm the next day that looks like pictures online of a bed bug bite. I have prudentially disposed of all the clothes and luggage taken with me into the room.

Room Tip: Never come here
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank city_guy_with_family
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

Dear Guest,

We are sorry for any discomfort that you may have experienced and we are very concerned about what happened. We want you to know that it is our highest priority to provide our guests with the cleanest rooms possible. We have a dedicated inspection team of trained staff that inspects all our rooms to ensure that these cases do not arise. As you mentioned that you did not find any evidence, so it is possible you could have encountered them elsewhere. Please note that this incident has nothing to do with the cleanliness of our rooms. Please rest assured that this is not a reflection of our facilities cleanliness, as we take pride in providing excellent service and the cleanest accommodations, for all our guests. Please feel free to contact me at your convenience so we may discuss any circumstances which may have occurred and please accept our sincerest apologies.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Write a ReviewReviews (3,141)

Reviewed 11 July 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights with my wife on a leg of my USA West Coast trip. I have to say I wasn't impressed with the area. It's pretty run down, but the hotel looked good from the outside. Inside, the lobby was nice, staff were pretty friendly and the room was ok. We felt it smelt a bit of something stale. They say there's free WIFI, but I could barely get a signal. The bathroom was nice and modern. Good shower pressure which is always a plus!
As others have said, walking the streets at night is not recommended. Quite a few unsavory characters.
All in all, it did a job but Im glad I was only there for 2 nights, any more would have been a let down.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DUSKWICK_10

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are pleased to know that the staff was plesant and that you got a good nights sleep. We continue to strive to make sure that each guest who stays here leaves with a feeling that it was a good value and that they would return. If you should find yourself in the San Francisco area again please contact me personally.

Reviewed 10 July 2011

I just spent 2 nights at the whitcomb....i love the old charm of this hotel,the lobby is very impressive....the bellboy wear a big funny hat.......and the staff was really helpfull.

The room was really big and even if the furniture was also old it gave a certain charm to the place....the bahtroom was kind of small but nothing worse then what iv'e seen before...you don't live there.Free wi-fi internet....but no fridge in the room.

The location is perfect just on market street.....restaurant nearby and you are not far from the powell street cable car....it's true that there was a lot of homeless peoples but i never felt treatened by them...it's just sad to see so much human misery in a so beautiful city.

I love my experience at the whitcomb and would definately make it my home on my next stop in San Francisco.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for posting your feedback about your recent stay. We are pleased to know that you found the hotel comfortable and the location convenient for your needs. We appreciate these comments and will make sure to keep making imporvements so that our guests have the best stay possible.

Thanks Again for your time.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations.

Reviewed 9 July 2011

The hotel is tired and the staff decidely unfriendly, particularly the grumpy reception staff. Rooms are dark, small and have very small bathrooms which are antiquated. The area isnt safe after 7pm at night as there are lots of hobos around the area. Very unimpressed. The highlight was Sam's Diner across the street - very good food and freindly service.

Room Tip: dont bother!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank boblad

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We want all our guests to know that we take these reviews very seriously and are constantly in the process of identifying areas where we can make your stay better. We do hope that if you return to SF from London you contact me personally to make your arrangements.

Thanks Again.

Reviewed 5 July 2011

OMG! I stayed at Whitcomb for the Bruno Mars concert. I was somewhat skeptical of the hotel because of its location... I was pleasantly surprised to find the location perfect for anything you wanted to do; we strolled the streets late night; enjoyed the neighborhood and the hotel was fantastic! The rooms are tastefully decorated and the bed was so comfy! The staff treated us like Rock Stars. The restaurant was fabulous, too. I would highly recommend staying here. In fact, I plan to visit in August! I live in Sonoma, CA so going into the City for a night or two is a treat-especially at Hotel Whitcomb! TWO THUMBS UP~~

Room Tip: We had a room the overlooked Market Street. Grea!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SonomaJoJo
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay last week. I will be sure to share all the positive things you said with the staff. We love to hear that our guests enjoyed themselves and hopefully that means you will stay with us in the future.

Thanks Again.

Reviewed 4 July 2011

Nice hotel, clean rooms and very, very nice staff. The location is very good in regards to transportation and proximity to the Opera house, but there are alot of homeless people from the Tenderloin district spilling out into the streets. We would definitely stay here again. The price is very reasonable for a big city and again, it was clean and the staff was lovely.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your stay. We are all pleased to know that your experience was great and that the service, value, cleanliness, and your nights sleep were all excellent. We do hope to see you again in the future if you return to SF from NJ.

Thanks.

Reviewed 3 July 2011

I live in the valley and come to SF often...I will never stay here again...I don't even know where to start. This hotel is located in the TENDERLOIN, the worst and oldest area in SF, known for its homeless and drug abusing population. I don't have a problem with homless people but when you have to walk 15 minutes through this area to get to Union Square with these questionable individuals looking you up and down, yelling every come on line in the book it gets a little scary. There was a young lady passed out in the bathroom of the hotel lobby, obviously drugged out. The hotel looks like the hotel from The Shining. This hotel is in desperate need of a MAJOR remodel...the pictures are very misleading. It is dark and dingy, the toilet in our room looked like a public restroom toilet, the kind you flush with your foot! Mold on the bathroom wall, the bathtub drain was clogged, there was a yellow stain on the comforter, the TV looked like it was from the 1980's...everything was wrong with this place. The lady who checked us in was not friendly at all...I booked this hotel as a "Mystery Hotel", at a discounted price and found out after I booked it that is was the Whitcomb. I recommend Parc 55, it is literally blocks from everything near Union Square and it is beautiful...Hotel Whitcomb ruined my weekend getaway...the only thing good about it was that I only stayed for one night.

Room Tip: don't stay here!!! you will regret it!!!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank L0veT0Trav3l

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us this July. We have taken the time to share these comments with our staff and are constantly in the process of renovating and making imporvements. We want all our guests to know that we read these posting and will do everything possible to make chages for the better.

Thank You.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations.