3,396 results
All reviewssam's dinercity hallcivic centerstarbucks attachedhistorical hotelbart stationpublic transportationan older hotelbig cityfisherman's wharffew blockssforpheumdoormantrolley
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights with my wife on a leg of my USA West Coast trip. I have to say I wasn't impressed with the area. It's pretty run down, but the hotel looked good from the outside. Inside, the lobby was nice, staff were pretty friendly and the room was ok. We felt it smelt a bit of something stale. They say there's free WIFI, but I could barely get a signal. The bathroom was nice and modern. Good shower pressure which is always a plus!
As others have said, walking the streets at night is not recommended. Quite a few unsavory characters.
All in all, it did a job but Im glad I was only there for 2 nights, any more would have been a let down.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DUSKWICK_10
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are pleased to know that the staff was plesant and that you got a good nights sleep. We continue to strive to make sure that each guest who stays here leaves with a feeling that it was a good value and that they would return. If you should find yourself in the San Francisco area again please contact me personally.

Reviewed July 10, 2011

I just spent 2 nights at the whitcomb....i love the old charm of this hotel,the lobby is very impressive....the bellboy wear a big funny hat.......and the staff was really helpfull.

The room was really big and even if the furniture was also old it gave a certain charm to the place....the bahtroom was kind of small but nothing worse then what iv'e seen before...you don't live there.Free wi-fi internet....but no fridge in the room.

The location is perfect just on market street.....restaurant nearby and you are not far from the powell street cable car....it's true that there was a lot of homeless peoples but i never felt treatened by them...it's just sad to see so much human misery in a so beautiful city.

I love my experience at the whitcomb and would definately make it my home on my next stop in San Francisco.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel Whitcomb and for posting your feedback about your recent stay. We are pleased to know that you found the hotel comfortable and the location convenient for your needs. We appreciate these comments and will make sure to keep making imporvements so that our guests have the best stay possible.

Thanks Again for your time.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations.

Reviewed July 9, 2011

The hotel is tired and the staff decidely unfriendly, particularly the grumpy reception staff. Rooms are dark, small and have very small bathrooms which are antiquated. The area isnt safe after 7pm at night as there are lots of hobos around the area. Very unimpressed. The highlight was Sam's Diner across the street - very good food and freindly service.

Room Tip: dont bother!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank boblad

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We want all our guests to know that we take these reviews very seriously and are constantly in the process of identifying areas where we can make your stay better. We do hope that if you return to SF from London you contact me personally to make your arrangements.

Thanks Again.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

OMG! I stayed at Whitcomb for the Bruno Mars concert. I was somewhat skeptical of the hotel because of its location... I was pleasantly surprised to find the location perfect for anything you wanted to do; we strolled the streets late night; enjoyed the neighborhood and the hotel was fantastic! The rooms are tastefully decorated and the bed was so comfy! The staff treated us like Rock Stars. The restaurant was fabulous, too. I would highly recommend staying here. In fact, I plan to visit in August! I live in Sonoma, CA so going into the City for a night or two is a treat-especially at Hotel Whitcomb! TWO THUMBS UP~~

Room Tip: We had a room the overlooked Market Street. Grea!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SonomaJoJo
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay last week. I will be sure to share all the positive things you said with the staff. We love to hear that our guests enjoyed themselves and hopefully that means you will stay with us in the future.

Thanks Again.

Reviewed July 4, 2011

Nice hotel, clean rooms and very, very nice staff. The location is very good in regards to transportation and proximity to the Opera house, but there are alot of homeless people from the Tenderloin district spilling out into the streets. We would definitely stay here again. The price is very reasonable for a big city and again, it was clean and the staff was lovely.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback about your stay. We are all pleased to know that your experience was great and that the service, value, cleanliness, and your nights sleep were all excellent. We do hope to see you again in the future if you return to SF from NJ.

Thanks.