“Recommend hotel on price... Not location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #184 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
Adelaide, Australia
“Recommend hotel on price... Not location.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed for 5 nights. Overall the hotel is nice and our room was comfortable. The starbucks in the lobby was a bonus. The hotel is very traditional, styled like it would have been back in the 1800's which was nice however the hallways where a bit dark and spooky. I wouldn't recommend eating in the hotel restaurant as the menu is limited, the food was okay but the service was poor and to be honest disappointing.

The location has its good points and bad. It's good because it's on Market street and only a few blocks from a major shopping district. Also there is a bus stop and tram stop just outside the front door of hotel which will take you straight to Fishermans Wharf for $2. The metro and 'Bart' systems are also outside the door.
The locations bad points are ... There are a great deal of homeless people in the area but we found that's the case in most big American cities. We would make sure that we were back at the hotel before dusk or we would catch a taxi. We didn't feel 100% safe after dark in the streets surrounding the hotel. Moving on ... Wireless was free but don't count on it, sometimes the connection was poor.

Overall we recommend the hotel for its price not location.

Stayed April 2012
2 Thank Peaches0016
Dear Guest,

We would first like to thank you for taking time to post your comments about your stay. We are happy to hear that your enjoyed your stay with us. We have heard your feedback and will immediately examine the areas you mentioned.

Kris Betz, Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

While the staff at the hotel are very friendly, the rooms are absolutely tiny. Clean, yes, but old. CRT tv, a closet the same size as the bathroom, a bed chair and table. We're talking 200sq/ft. Maybe.

The location is fairly central, especially with transit. But like everyone else has said, there are homeless people and thugs everywhere. There are not just a few, they really are everywhere. You don't ever feel safe.

Expedia generally offers this place at half off ~100. Still not worth it. Stay near the wharf.

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank 21Seagull
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that your experience with our staff was pleasant. However, we are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your overall experience. We have heard your feedback and will immediately examine the areas you mentioned.

Columbia, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We arrive. We are not greeted until the front desk person says "Next!" very impersonally 20 minutes after standing in line. We walk up to our room and the cleaning woman is in "our" room just starting to clean it. So we had to quickly drop off our bags and leave. I had no time to change because she was inside. Meanwhile the entire hotel smells musty. The hotel claims to be historic; well it definitely smelled historic.

The room was tiny. There was the bathroom, the bed, a closet and 2 feet empty space surrounding the bed and that was all. The ac/heat unit was the kind that is set into the window. The halls are filled with massive mirrows and long corridors! It seriously looked like something straight out of the shining!!! Ahh!

The location is good and bad. Let me explain. Geographically it is excellent. There is a bus stop and a Bart Subway (airport and other transportation) just steps from the front door. Many of the must see neighborhoods are not far and there are plenty of places to eat in the neighborhood. That was the good; and here's the bad: the neighborhood! The neighborhood is called Civic Center/Union Square and it is the home of hundreds of pushy homeless people looking for some change. You literally could not walk two feet without someone begging and aggressively demanding some change or food. Oh and if you are a pretty lady or are going to be with a pretty lady, be prepared for some abrasive staring and shouting in her direction. I wore my purse that wraps around my body just in case. But don't get me wrong, the neighborhood isn't dangerous or "ghetto" it's streets are just literally the home of many many homeless people.

Finally I think the only major positive thing I can say about Hotel Whitcomb is that it does not have a shared bathroom. Your bathroom is right in your room like most normal hotels not in San Francisco.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kristen M
Dear Guest,

We would first like to thank you for taking time to post your comments about your stay with us. We are dissapointed that you did not enjoy your experience. We have heard your feedback and will immediately examine the areas you mentioned.

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Not a bad Hotel for cheep and cheerful but the location was a bit too scary for me. There wasnt anywhere in or close to the Hotel to go where you could feel relaxed and safe

Room Tip: Try another hotel
2 Thank Albert_Finnie
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Why just visit a landmark when you can stay at one? The Hotel Whitcomb has an amazing interior that brings you back to the glamorous era of grand hotels. Even the staff still treats you like a valued guest with the kind of courtesy that has gone amiss at many other hotels.

The Whitcomb does have a broad variety of rooms, so naturally your experience will vary. There are rooms overlooking Market Street. There are rooms facing the back alley. And then there are rooms facing a narrow courtyard. Only the rooms towards the street offer some view. The other rooms offer zero view. We had one of the courtyard rooms without a view. While I missed the view, on the plus side, the room was very quiet away from the street noise. I am a light sleeper and slept great. That being said, you may want to get a room on the 4th floor or above, since the bottom of the courtyard has some A/C units scattered around which might be noisy. Our room had no door to the adjacent room and I never heard any noise from there. The older A/C unit under the window was quiet.

Our room had a very small but renovated bathroom. It had a toilet, mini-sink, and a faux marble shower stall. While small, the bathroom was functional. Rooms with mini bathrooms are probably best for couples since there is not much space in the bathroom to dry yourself off – you may need to keep the bathroom door open.

Speaking of the bedroom, the room seemed freshly painted/touched up. It was rather small footprint-wise, but the tall ceilings made it feel much larger. It had a generously spaced walk-in closet to store suitcases and such. The TV was older, but had a remote and worked fine. The only thing that did not work well was the outlets. They were very old and in urgent need of replacement. Plugs would just fall out making it difficult to plug in chargers and such. I found one outlet where my phone charger managed to stay plugged.

Speaking of technology, the hotel is not particularly tech-friendly, due to its age. It does have free wifi, but it does not work. Even though I had full wifi signal, pages would not load for the most part. Wireless internet on my phone only worked when sitting in the window due to thick walls. The hotel does have a business center in the lobby, but charges a minimum $5 fee for its use.

Speaking of fees, one fee you need to avoid is the $40 parking fee. ($35+tax). I was really upset about the hotel wanting to charge this ridiculous amount. Yes, other hotels in San Francisco charge this much, too, but this hotel is at the edge of downtown and wants to be budget friendly. The fee is just out of line. Fortunately, there are many affordable parking alternatives right around. Right across the street, there is a self-park 24 hour lot that offers parking for $18 per day. There are also parking meters that are enforced 7am – 6pm, Monday-Saturday – just make sure you don’t park there on street cleaning nights (read the signs).

If you plan on visiting San Francisco only, you will not need a car at this hotel. The F Line, Muni Metro, and BART have stops right in front of the hotel. You can buy day passes at the cable car turnaround, which is about a 10-15 minute walk away. I did not have any problems with bums. Yes, there are quite a few of them, but just don’t give them money and they leave you alone. Giving them the “don’t even think about it look” will usually do the trick. I did not have a single person ask me for money.

Overall, I would definitely stay at this hotel again. It has charm, great staff, and a perfect location. Just don’t park there.

Room Tip: Higher floors are more quiet. The 6th floor is supposedly haunted.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback about your stay with us. We are pleased to know that you would choose to stay with us again in the future as that is the best indicator that we are doing well. I will share your comments with the staff to see if there are some areas we can make improvements.

Columbus
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Lovely historic hotel - vintage charm - the location of the hotel is scary at night, we had a few unpleasant expereinces - we will not return .

Room Tip: upgrade so you don't get the tiny bathroom
2 Thank PF F
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate that you enjoyed the property, but sad to hear that you did not have an enjoyable experience. We have taken note of the area in which you mentioned and will do our best to target those areas that need improvement.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Location and customer service are top notch! I was with my infant son in the lobby area at 4:30 am - we were on Eastern timezone. One of the security guards asked if I needed help and I jokingly said I needed coffee. Starbucks next door didn't open till 5:30 sadly. He graciously, said, I can get you some coffee and he appeared 10 minutes later with a steaming cup full of coffee. That kind of customer service is unparalleled and I just wish I remembered his name so I can give him the credit he deserves. One downside is the expensive parking, $35 per day, but I suppose it is nice to have in/out privileges. The civic area is not the best but should be fine during the day. Nice shopping area within 5 blocks of the hotel.