“Close to downtown but musty rooms”
Review of Hotel Whitcomb

Hotel Whitcomb
Ranked #180 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The hotel is well located. Walking distance to main areas. Around the hotel, there are alot of homeless people lurking around and a bit scary to walk after dark. The rooms were quite musty and I was constantly sneezing; so ensure you carry your allergy medicines. Housekeeping wasnt too good. They dint regularly change the towels.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay. We have addressed the issues you mentioned and shared it with the necesary departments to ensure that we make corrections. Please feel free to contact me if you should return to this area to personally take care of your reservation.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Whitcomb

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Please believe the bad reviews this is the worst hotel I have ever been to I understand it is old but the smell in the hotel I checked in around 1am it was dark dusty the lobby the rooms had oders the star rating is wrong it is a one star the homless all over when checking in the front desk gave me a reciept to sign for check in and thhe rate was way less then what I paid to hotwire they had a room rack rate they tried to tell me it was the wrong paper with my name on it the first room smelled so bad they moved me to the next it smelled the sink was helled up by 4x4 wood this should just become a shelter. Please don't go I didn't believe the reviews and was sorry that Idid not listen to previous guest. I had to pay for another hotel and move out of their. Oh yes the next morning they poured pine-sol in the elevators to try and kill the oder.

Room Tip: there is no good room
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Sharon B

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay. We apologizge for any discomfort you feel you may have experienced.

Thank You.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Sadly, this may have at one time been a grand hotel, but that day is long past. It is on the absolutely worst stretch of Market Street in San Francisco. There is nothing along this stretch but boarded up storefronts and a couple strip-joints. Luckily there is a Starbucks adjoining the lobby as this is what you get! And, no coffee in rooms. No room-service. And, listening to the staff at the desk – this is a “groups” hotel. Yeah, groups from out-of-the-country, groups of teenagers, and groups of unknowing Midwesterners. The plumbing is from the 1930’s. The bed I tried to sleep in was actually lumpy! I have never had a hotel-bed be wrecked, and – it was on three legs. I thought it would fall over! And, smoking in the hallways! This is not a good place for a business traveler. It may be a place for a teen spring-break wild-vacation.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank DoctorBuckles

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay. We are dissapointed to hear that the hotel was not right for your needs as a business traveller. We are currently in the process of upgrading several areas that you mentioned and hope that in the future you will try and stay with us again to change your mind.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Have been here multiple times for special events in the Whitcomb Ballroom~ they were glorious affairs. All the food entrees I have tried are delicious. The salmon, especially, melted in my mouth. The cheesecake is just right ~ light and creamy. The warm dinner roll selection is very good - like the ones sprinkled with cornmeal.The wait service is extremely attentive. The ballroom can be set up with a beautiful floor, perfect for dancing. There is a permanent gallery of photographs, depicting memorable history of San Francisco, that is not to be missed! The gallery overlooks the ballroom. The interior of the Hotel Whitcomb has a lot of elegance and charm.

Room Tip: I have only attended several gala functions and not stayed overnight.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
whitcomb1, Manager at Hotel Whitcomb, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback about your stay with us. We are pleased to know that you would choose to stay with us again in the future as that is the best indicator that we are doing well. I will share your comments with the staff to see if there are some areas we can make improvements.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Our room was elegant, clean and comfortable. The only thing I didn't like was that the curtains didn't close. They have a lace curtain covering the window with decorative curtains on the side that don't move. I could see parts of other rooms. The view wasn't great but the hotel is in downtown so it was expected. I liked the location since it was close to everything.

• Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Keep in mind that I booked this hotel due to its specific location to the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium which is about a block away. While the hotel is ok, the area is pretty scary. It's in the heart of the tenderloin and I would not suggest walking around there after dark. If you're taking a cab you should be fine. The rooms were very small and definitely in need of some updating. However, the front desk staff was nice and the room was clean. Lots of chipped paint, etc. knowing that it was only for one night, it was fine. It's also a ver loud hotel, you could hear slamming doors all night. If this had been my destination hotel for a weeks vacation in SF, I would have been very bummed

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank kld94931

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay. We are happy to hear that our staff took care of your needs and were courteous and polite. We have listened to your feedback and are working to make imporvements immediately where possible. We hope that if you return to the area you contact me directly to handle the stay.

Thanks again

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Vastly overrated. Quaint, semi-elegant entrance not remotely representative of your room and bathroom, especially if you're a [Discount Site] guest. Housekeeping routinely forgets to deliver a full set of towels (I had no towels whatsoever one night). Drains are chronically slow, ensuring that all the accumulated gunk from previous guests returns to haunt you as you shower. In addition to plumbing problems (water can switch from tepid to boiling in 10 ms.), you will encounter inpoerative lights and broken accessories (broken hook on bathroom door). Front desk always overstaffed when lobby is deserted and understaffed when busloads are checking in.

Last but not least, the prison cell sink, complete with no shelving or cabinet to place your toiletries.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AwayOutOfState

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay. We have listened to your feedback and are working to make imporvements immediately where possible. We hope that if you return to the area from Seattle you contact me directly to handle the stay. We hope we can give you a better experience next time.