“Great location, enjoyed the outdoor pool”

Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel
Ranked #111 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Stayed here for 2 days with the kids. Pleasant hotel with a great location. Very convenient for fishermans wharf - just a short walk away. Food in hotel expensive,but there is a 7-11 next door, and a Safeway supermarket across the street. Clean hotel,enjoyed the pool. Be sure to ask fora quiet room that does NOT face the street.

Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank HeyMG
SheratonGM, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Dear HeyMG, my thanks for reviewing our hotel and for the 4-star rating. I was pleased you found the hotel to be both convenient and pleasant, and that you enjoyed the pool and area retail options. Thanks so much for the travel tip on room locations and I look forward to your return visit soon. Take care and warm regards,

Reviewed 5 April 2012

You'll see visions of turquoise, azure along with the hot pink and yellow colors of a beach ball in this hotel decor. It makes it bright and fun. Ideal location to a very touristy part of town.Generally safe, clean, and level. No steep hills in this area and it doesn't feel as compact - but it's still a very busy locale for tourists. Walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf, Ghirardelli Square, the main line to the cable cars, and you can see the Golden Gate Bridge from this area, not necessarily from your room. We were in the highest level but faced the interior driveway of where cars would come in.
Overall, it was nice. Front desk was good about directing us on places to go and things to do. Like the firepits outside if you want to grab a drink and some food. It doesn't give off a lot of heat, but it adds to the ambiance.
Lastly, if you're coming to SF, be prepared mentally to pay for parking. It's expensive in any hotel in the city. It was $45 for valet with in and out privileges. You could save some money by parking in a garage nearby -but might have to walk a bit with your luggage and so on.
If you want to go to the Saturday morning Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market, it is walkable - but it will take about 30 minutes of leisurely walking. At least it's a nice walk because it's right on the waterfront! Bring a backpack, though if you plan on buying something there.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
SheratonGM, General Manager at Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear NorCal_Explorer, many thanks for your review of our hotel and for the kind remarks regarding our front desk service. You provided some valuable tips for what to see in the area from Fisherman's Wharf to the Ferry Building and the multitude of convenient transportation options in our immediate area of San Francisco. Thanks again for the review and we look forward to hosting your next visit to our beautiful city. Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I would stay here again but only because of the location. If the room was not clean I would ask to be moved next time.
The Good:
The location is great - close to all the attractions at or near the wharf. It is an easy walking distance to the ferries for the Alcatraz tours. The area is very safe so you can feel comfortable walking day or night. The lobby is very nice. ALL the staff were very professional and helpful. Always had a hello and a smile even in the pouring rain. There are snacks, sandwiches and drinks available in the lobby for a fairly reasonable price. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. Starbucks coffee for the room :). IHOP just down the street for a cheaper breakfast.
The Not so Good:
The buffet was expensive but I did not go beyond the door. Would take a pretty outstanding hotel buffet to be worth the price. The rooms are far from sound proof. We could CLEARLY hear the people overhead walking. Fortunately they were not up late. The worst was the lack of cleaning in the room. The bed and the counters seemed clean but the floor was very bad. The corners and baseboards were very dusty. I thought I was being picky until we went to leave and my husband checked under the bed. There were pretzels and a bottle cap - obviously had not been vacuumed in quite sometime. There were problems with the elevator and one night only one of the three was running. Parking on site would have been about $60 /day with the taxes. Across the street in the Safeway parking lot it was $30/day but you could not take your car in and out without paying more. No free Wi-Fi in the rooms - cannot figure this one out at all. The hotel across the street offered free Wi-Fi and free parking. In this day and age Wi-Fi should be free in any hotel. I personally feel this is just a gouge and the "Shertons" need to look at their Wi-Fi policy. You could get free Wi-Fi in the lobby.

Room Tip: Higher rooms would have less issues with noise overhead.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Canada1959, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and many thanks for the recommendation and 5-star rating for our staff service, sleep quality and location. I was pleased to hear you found our staff to be very professional, friendly and helpful. I do apologize you experienced an issue with our housekeeping services and I have passed on your comments to our team to insure we are fully inspecting the carpets as you indicated. Your suggested room tip is perfect for light sleepers as we do have upper floor rooms with interior courtyard views that are isolated from any stray street noise. Thanks again for your visit and suggestions and we look forward hosting your next trip to San Francisco. Warm regards,

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Streetcar stop just along the road, Safeway supermarket acrosss the road, Wharf one block down - very good location. Staff at the Sheraton are very friendly and helpful. Rooms are kept very clean and bed linen is of good quality. There was a heavy footed person staying in the room above so s/he could be heard walking around. It would have been nice to have a small fridge in the room (there is no minibar) to keep drinks and chocolate bars cool. Although we visited in March it wan't cold so no heating necessary - I did turn the heater on (as I'm nosey) and it was very noisy, it went straight off! We highlighted a problem with the toilet to the staff at reception and they spoke to maintenance immediately and the problem was solved within minutes - excellent service.
If you have a car, negotiate the parking cost at the hotel. It's expensive at 45 dollars per day (but the parking is underground and, as it's valet controlled, should be safer). The average all day parking in the area is 35 dollars -- we negotiated and paid 30 dollars per day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out onto the inner courtyard, no view but rooms in this area seem quieter. W...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear 23Angelina05, many thanks for the 4-star review and for your kind comments on our friendly and helpful service staff. I most certainly will pass on these remarks to our team. I was pleased we took care of the engineering item in your room quickly and efficiently. Thanks again for the visit and we look forward to your return. Warm regards,

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Very close to pier 39 and attractions. Outdoor pool was great for the kids. Rooms were nice and modern and really clean. The fire pits outside were great to sit round in the evening. Great hotel in a great city!!

• Stayed: March 2012

Dear PeskyFly, thank you for the 4-star review of your recent stay with us. I was pleased you enjoyed our outdoor heated swimming pool with the family and that you liked our room design and signature outdoor firepits. We all agree San Francisco is a great city and we look forward to your next visit. Take care and warm regards,

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Security is an issue. Area is filled with homeless people and there is no security guard presence felt anywhere in the hotel. I placed my laptop on cafe table to save myself a seat while I bought a shuttle ticket to the airport. 3 minutes later when I turned around to go back to my seat laptop was gone. Person at table next to me said a man grabbed the laptop bag and walk straight out the door past the bellman. San Francisco is filled with people who are less fortunate as well as people who are always looking to swipe something and you would think a Sheraton hotel would have an armed security guard on staff. After laptop was stolen "head of security" advised me not to call 911 and file a police report when I got back home. I instead went to police station and the police said because the crime had occurred only seconds after I had left the table and because the person at the table had a description of the thief I should have called 911. There was also incident with other guests during my stay who reported to "head of security" that two men, one of which fit the description of man who took my laptop tried grabbing peoples bags as they stepped off the shuttle.

Additionally, the first night I got to the hotel it was raining and when I got to my room even though the window was closed the rain seeped through and there was a cold draft. The TV also had reception problems ( unrelated to the rain). I called for assistance but the engineer did not arrive until the next day. Sleep Quality was also low because of all the noise from the street including car and foot traffic. Food in the cafe and the restaurant is overpriced. Internet cost $15 per electronic devise per night. Business center printing is overpriced. Wifi in hotel lobby is incredibly slow and the connection constantly breaks.

The positive aspect of my visit was the staff is reasonably friendly. The location is in between pier 45 and 39, but the area itself has a lot more homeless people than the area surrounding the Argonaut.

I would not stay here again because I often travel alone and check in after dark and am always caring a laptop. I feel like the individual who took my laptop targets people like me and I am just thankful that I was not hurt in the process or I was not followed to my room. My laptop itself was worth $1000 and I had books and other possessions worth another $100. Because of the theft I missed my shuttle and the manager was nice enough to offer me a town car to the airport. Unfortunately a $60 fee for a ride to the airport will not compensate me for my lost laptop nor will it resolve the security issues at this hotel. After I left I have not received one phone call apologizing for the incident or any indication that the hotel acknowledges it responsibility in this and other similar incidences. I will be pursuing legal action against the hotel.

Room Tip: Select a room adjacent to the courtyard in hopes of having a quiet nights sleep.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear MasihF, again my apologies for the theft of your laptop and the distress that has caused you since you stayed with us. As we discussed in our conversation earlier this week, the San Francisco Police department is still investigating this incident and we hope to have word back from SFPD shortly. This was a very unusual event for our hotel and although we have a 24-hour security presence on property, the officer makes frequent rounds throughout the rest of hotel, so the thief involved most likely waited for the officer on duty to pass through into other areas of the hotel before taking advantage of your unattended laptop bag. If we do get a response from SFPD I will let you know. Again our apologies for this unfortunate event. I was pleased you found our staff to be friendly and enjoyed the location, however this incident clearly was disturbing so we have sharpened our security focus in our lobby since this occured to insure a repeat offense does not occur. Thank you for your feedback and we wish you warm regards,

Reviewed 30 March 2012

This is “value” lodging. The location is great, but the building is old and cheaply made. The walls and floors are thin. You can hear conversations from above or below. There are a lot of families and expect to hear crying children exhausted from a long day of sightseeing as you try to get to sleep. The beds are a little creaky and sub-par. Mine leaned to one side. As well, while I signed up for a room with free breakfast, it was for breakfast for one only. There were three of us and it was $25.00 per person to eat at the buffet, so even with the coupon, they wanted $50 for the “free” breakfast if we all wanted to eat. It was a crappy looking buffet as well. This is not a slightly cheaper version of the nearby Hyatt or Hilton, this is a MUCH cheaper version and not even as nice as the Best Western. Granted – the lobby looks hip and cool, but unless this were cheaper than the Best Western next door I would not go back.

Room Tip: Want a good room? Stay at the Hyatt a block away.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank inog

Dear Inog, thank you for your recent review of our hotel and for the your visit this past month. I do apologize you were disturbed by noise in the area surrounding our guest room during your visit. We do provide 24 hours security where we ask them to make frequent rounds of the guest floors in the late evening to be on the lookout for noise that can affect guests in surrounding areas, so I am so sorry this extra effort did not work in this case. All our our rooms are recently renovated and we installed new beds last year so I am so sorry you found your bed to be uncomfortable. Normally guests rave about Sheraton's new Sweet Sleeper bed concept so I apologize we missed the mark in this case. Our breakfast packages are designed for a specific number of vouchers and in this case the package you booked only included one per room. I'm so sorry you were not satisfied with your stay and encourage you to contact my office at your convenience so I can resolve any remaining issues you may have. Best wishes to you and your family and warm regards,