“Fabulous hotel!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Fabulous hotel!”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This wonderful hotel has a contemporary charm with old world elegance all in one. The location is fantastic, literally right next to Union Square the center of great restaurant and shopping. Whether you are there for business or leisure this is a wonderful hotel.

The concierge Leif gave several excellent recommendations and the front desk was very accommodating to all of our requests. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking in the area!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Dear Sarah K:

I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay at the Drake! I can't agree with you more on our location - close to everything from shopping, dining, sightseeing and so forth! Hope you got to take advantage of that while you stayed with us!

Mostly, I am very pleased to hear that Leif, our chief concierge and our front desk team were able to assist you. As a general manager of the hotel, nothing makes me proud than receiving a nice comment on our staff!

Visit us soon!

Jim Gross, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, California, USA
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Go to the TOP! Dance with the stars!!! Watch the city twinkle like a land of stars or diamonds at night.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Gail M:

I appreciate your short-n-sweet comment on our Starlight Room!

Indeed, it is a wonderful place to be!

Lac La Biche
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights and was very satisfied. A great location to come and go, Street car stops in front of the hotel, attractions, shopping and restaurants are all over the place. There is free wireless if you sign up for the rewards program or else you can pay 10.00 and get the same coverage. I didn't know this the first night but the front desk didn't even hesitate to take the 10.00 off the bill. I will stay here the next time I'm in San Francisco.

Room Tip: Rooms are not big by today's standards, but one has to keep in mind that this hotel was built in...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Bcnllb
Dear bcnllb:

I appreciate your comment! Our building is one of the historical ones in the city of San Francisco and do offer our guests with the OLD CHARM. I am greateful to know that you appreciate that!

AND you are absolutely right about our location - close approximity to what this city has to offer...

Look forward to your next visit!

Cameron Park, California
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Booked an Exclusive Holiday Weekend Special Grand King room that included free overnight parking. Normal parking would have been $50.00 per night. So the special was one of the main reasons we booked. The room was clean and relatively large however the bathroom was small and lacked counter space. The elevators were slow and some guests even opted to walk down the stairs rather than wait 30 minutes for an elevator. Apparently there were a couple of wedding parties that took up most of the floors and rooms, clogging the elevators. Our reservation was confused and we were billed the $50.00 for parking. After discussing it with the reservation manager and showing them my printed reservation from the internet that indicated the INTERNET EXCLUSIVE HOLIDAY WEEKEND RATE, were we credited back for the parking which at first they denied and then offered 1/2 off but I insisted that they honor their internet special which was the reason we booked the room. Then followed a 45 minute wait for our car to be brought around. Other than those two situations our stay was enjoyable. If you plan on staying at the Sir Francis Drake and book your reservation online, make sure you understand what your options are and you print out a copy of exactly what your reservation entails.

Room Tip: Book at least a Grand King room, the higher floors are better.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Bob F:

Thanks for posting your comment!

First off, I am pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of our special promotion. Second off, I apologize that you had to go through few glitcheds, especially about the parking fee. I am happy to know that our staff finally came through to resolve the issue with your parking fee.

We are one of the historical buildins in the city of San Francisco that offers something unique to our guests.

Hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 11 February 2012

This has been our favorite hotel in San Francisco for many years!!! I just spent my 50th birthday here and had an outstanding experience. Jim Gross, the General Manager of Sir Francis Drake, made our stay an exceptional one. He was extremely attentive to our needs and made sure that my 50th birthday was unforgettable. All of the staff at the Drake are friendly and helpful. The Starlight Room atop the hotel is a "the bomb"! It's the best place to view the city and dance the night away. Scala's Bistro (at the Drake), has some of the most flavorful food that we've tasted in S.F. Sir Francis Drake is located in a prime location nestled in the heart of Union Square,....you can catch a cable car right in front of the hotel..take it to China Town or down to Fisherman's Wharf. We love it here and will always come back!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear Sugar_shack77:

It was my pleasure! I am happy to know, not only that we were able to make your 50th birthday a special one, but you enjoyed our establishment, too!

Please keep us in mind for your 60th, 70th, 80th and so on!

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 7 February 2012

This hotel looks much nicer on the website than it is in reality. We had a junior suite and it was actually quite small. so don't expect space nor a nice room full of light. it is actually pretty dark.
Also check the room before, as we had to change it given the windows were not isolating the air properly and it was freezing. (but that i guess was just bad luck, as the other room was fine)
However the hotel staff is friendly and the location is excellent.
When we were staying there the hotel's hall was always crowded and therefore it does not give you the impression of being a cozy hotel as seen on the website.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gaia G
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear Gaia G:

Thank you for posting your comments. I couldn't agree with you more on our location and the friendliness of our hotel staff!

It sounds like you might have stayed during a busy city-wide convention week, and sorry that you didn't get to enjoy the quaint atmosphere.

Hope you'll get to come and visit us soon in the near future!

Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Overall I was very pleased. When booking the hotel I told them it was my anniversary and I would love an end room ;) they came through for me. The room was small but to be expected for the city. There were a few hickups with the room itself. The heater didn't work, the bathroom door didn't keep close, and the remote for the tv didn't work. My boyfriend and I still had a wonderful time, taking advantage of the front desk. They made reservations for us with an hours notice on a sat night. They even took almost half the bill off after learning about the condition of our room!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Jim G, General Manager at Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear Elizabeth B:

I am glad to know that you had a good overall experience and that our team was able to come through for you and your boyfriend during your stay.

I appreciate your expressing the issues with the room in which you were staying: I will take a closer look to make sure that everything is in working condition.

Hope to see you back at our hotel in the near future.