“Wonderful amenities”

The Donatello
Ranked #44 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 May 2008

The Donatello is great! The location is perfect, just enough off the beaten path to feel relaxed once you walk away from Market Street crowds. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. I love the little kitchenette and the empty fridge. It even had a microwave and toaster in the room, plus plates and glasses. There was a DVD player that was easy to use. The windows had shutters and could be opened. The thermostat worked. I loved the color scheme with the orange wall. The bed and pillows were comfortable. I thought it was an incredible value worth far more than I paid.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 May 2008

The location of the hotel was great, the staff was great, housekeeping was phenomenal, loved the convenience of hot beverages throughout the day, & noise was not a factor in our room. Enjoyed our stay immensely. We went to San Fran for my birthday, & per suggestions from other reviewers, I called the hotel to let them know that, & requested a room with a balcony. When I got there, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that they were able to honour my request (since there are only a few select rooms with balconies). Asides from the occassional police sirens, we did not hear any noise, perhaps because of the location of the room, & the fact that the weather was cool enough for us to sleep with the windows closed. I did not get a welcome pkg upon arriving, but they called a few days later for us to pick it up. We were too busy to pick it up, so I don't know what's in it. Also, despite other guest's comments, we were never bothered about attending timeshare. The breakfast was nothing special. I say you're better off buying some cereal & milk from Walgreens & eating that each morning than eating their sugary offerings. I am also puzzled @ how they would offer just orange juice, & not a choice of juices in the morning (my boyfriend & I can't have orange juice).
I have a bad back, & don't usually like hotel beds, but their bed was only second to the sleep-number beds offered @ other hotels.
The location is great, you don't need to rent a car, it is very close to everything.
Housekeeping vacuumed, & very thoroughly cleaned our place every day. Even our dishes were washed!
Turndown service everynight was lovely to come back to after a long & tiring day of sightseeing.
It rained one night, & the hotel lent us an umbrella (just ask front desk)
They even gave us a complimentary bottle of wine for my birthday.
My boyfriend & I were also @ another hotel on this trip, but enjoyed the Donatello so much more!
Tip: If you are an AAA member, check the website of the hotel direct before you book because I found booking direct with them using the AAA discount was cheaper than doing it through on-line travel sites.
It was a wonderful hotel, but I guess it best to book with this hotel during low travel season so that you're less likely to get stuck with a bad room.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pamsadventures
Reviewed 27 April 2008

We stayed at the Hotel for three nights on April 23rd. The rooms are quite large and have the advantage of a small refrigerator with a sink and a microwave. Nevertheless, only two pillows were supplied and we had to ask for two more. The A/C was not very good but we were able to sleep with the windows closed. On the 3rd night, which was a Friday, we could not sleep at all, with all the street noise (even though we were on the 9th floor). Another couple traveling with us had an inside room and did not hear the noise. The Continental Breakfast was ok, but there are only 4-5 tables which are very rapidly occupied. The breakfast, although ends at 9:30 am, sometimes runs out of food by 9 am.
Our valet parking was good, you would call 5 minutes prior to leaving and they had the car ready for you. Our "Welcome Package" was never presented to us upon registration, as they are supposed to do - only got a call two days later to have us pick it up - which we did not do. The staff is very friendly and warm. The proximity to Union Square and to Powell Street makes it very convenient for shopping and transportation.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank FabiolaMiami
Reviewed 25 April 2008

My wife and I have traveled to numerous locations throughout the US and Mexico. I have to say that The Donatello is the greatest hotel we have been to. The staff was excellent, especially the front desk and the concierge. I have read numerous reviews and want to dispel the rumor that it was "noisy". Yes there is a club across the street and maybe room location has something to do with it but we slept every night with the windows open and were not bothered one bit by the noise.
We are returning to the Donatello in two weeks and would never think of staying any where else in San Fran!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stoutmaker
Reviewed 21 April 2008

Despite reading a previous review about noise we took a chance. The hotel is very well located- a block from Union Square. The rooms are clean and freshly decorated. Everyone on staff was friendly and competent.

Just one significant problem- the noise. We were on the 9th floor (too high to hear anything we thought?) About 10PM to midnight on both Friday and Saturday nights the noise below from the nighclub Ruby Skye sounded like a riot going on. The commotion in front of the club caused traffic problems. (Shouting, screaming, etc)

And by the wee hours the clean-up crew would dump a load of empty bottles in the recycle bin about every 15 minutes. (CRASH)-I'd guess about 15 times.

The real shame is other than the noise I would strongly recomment this hotel.

If I were them I'd call the police to make a "disturbing the peace" complaint.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank fireandrain
Reviewed 8 April 2008

We are Shell Vacation Club members and the Donatello is part of SVC's network. It was really a pleasant surprise, as I've always heard how small the rooms are in SFO. Our room/suite was incredibly spacious with the best bed ever! I also like the stereo and DVD player in the room.

Location is really key. The Donatello is just a couple of blocks from Union Square and less than a mile walk to Chinatown. It was very easy to get around on buses and trolleys (bus is definitely the way to go, and you don't need to buy the $18 week pass...it's only $1.50 for the bus with a 2 hour transfer for free).

My only complaint about the hotel was that the jacuzzi tub was broken (and apparently has been since November 2007...are there no repairmen in this town?), and there is no pool. But we were so busy sightseeing everyday that it didn't impact us in the least.

Staff were incredibly friendly and they've got a pretty darn good happy hour everyday in the lounge. We absolutely recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank dm713
Reviewed 31 March 2008

We stayed at the Donatello during the week of St. Patricks Day,2008. The weather was sunny and of course a little chilly but we are from the NH so we thought it was great.
We were very impressed with the Donatello. The staff was very friendly at all times. The food at the Restaurant on the 2nd floor was great and we very much enjoyed the delicious pastries, coffee and juice served upstairs in the Donatello Club level.
Our room was clean, large, and the bed was so comfortable. The bathroom was marble tiles and the decor, reminicent of Italian style.
The location was near to the shopping district at Union Sq and in a good area, not too hilly right there. They have a parking garage which we did not need, we used the public transportation,streetcars and the cable cars. Do the cable cars and ride on the outside standing up. It's fabulous!
The Hertz rental car shop is right next door,very convienent!!
We highly recommend The Donatello and would go back in a second!!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business