2,754 results
All reviewstop floortime shareunion squaretv in the mirrorgreat locationmini kitchenclub roomstreet noisepost streetcoffee makersofa bedroom was spaciouscable carturn down servicepublic transportationsitting areacentral location
Reviewed December 12, 2010

This was our first time to San Francisco and we went the week after Thanksgiving. We utilized a time share exchange and it was a bargain. The hotel is one block from Union Square and the Powell St cable car, five blocks to Westfield Shopping Center and the Market St streetcar line, nine blocks to Chinatown. And these are all small blocks, so it is within easy walking distance. We did not "fine dine", but we found plenty of good places to eat on a budget. If you are driving, prepare to pay $32 per day to park. This is just the way it is in San Francisco. If you plan on public transportation while visiting, buy a multi-day or weekly pass . Also, if driving, watch for pedestrians. If you see anyone crossing with the light, it is probably a tourist. The staff was friendly and we had no complaints about our stay. Enjoy your visit to San Francisco.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gary20636
Reviewed December 11, 2010

Our room was on 5th floor facing the street. We stayed two nights and probably got a total of about 2-3 hours good-but-interrupted sleep each night. Even though the location is GREAT, so close to Union Square, shopping, theaters, etc, the street noise and almost constant noise day and night (fire/sirens, noisy garbage collectors/trucks, horns, drunken/loud homeless people ALL through the entire night) does not make this a comfortable or restful place to stay. If you pretty much DIE when you sleep, then fine. If you are easily woken by ANY kind of noise, then it will be a battle. I took TWO sleeping pills the second night, and was still woken up by drunken, loud homeless people at 2:30 am. It didnt help that one of our windows had a poor fit, making it impossible to completely close (but we tried our best) I honestly cannot say that a quieter room exists here - but I would definitely ask for the highest possible floor and IN THE BACK of the hotel, NOT street side. And be prepared to stuff cotton in your ears if you are even a slightly-light sleeper like myself. Other than this (!?) clean hotel, nice room amenities, fairly spacious room for SF, great location.

1  Thank cdhtraveler
Reviewed December 8, 2010

This is our second trip to the city this year, we stayed at the kensington park hotel, which was across the street from the donatello. The room at the donatello was much nicer, it looked like everything was new, the carpet, furnishings, etc. The kensington park just looked old.
Staff here was the friendliest i have ever seen, everybody and i mean everybody was friendly. Parking was only $28 a day, which is cheap in s.f. Located 1 block from cable cars and union square, shopping center was 2 blocks away. They have a large balcony on top floor, but not really much of a view, tall buildings all around block it. Balcony would be nice on a warmer day though. Only thing bad i can say was internet was spotty if you could get on, someone had been stealing the routers out of the hallways, there was just one on the other end of my floor, and the routers on the floor above and below were gone.
They said a new vendor was taking over 1st of year, and all would be fixed. So yes I would stay here again, and I'm sure i will.

2  Thank noon28rick
Reviewed December 8, 2010

The Donatello has become our go to hotel in San Francisco. The staff is always friendly, the rooms are spacious and the location can't be beat...just one block from the greatest shopping in the city. We particularly appreciate the small hotel feeling with big hotel amenities.

2  Thank EllynGreen
Reviewed December 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in mid Nov for one week. We are in our late 30's and were there for a surgery that I had to have in San Francisco. As most, if not all of the reviews that I read stated this IS a really great hotel. I totally agree with everyone. I do have a couple of comments to make but all in all, I really enjoyed staying there and would definitely stay there again. It all depends on what you are looking for in a hotel. If you want a great location, friendly staff and a spacious room then this is the hotel for you. Are there nicer hotels in SF? Yes. Are there more upscale and modern hotels? Yes. Are there more hip and happening hotels? Yes. But, this hotel felt so inviting, friendly, quaint, convenient, and did't have that corporate feeling to it but yet had all the amenities that a corporate hotel has. So, the location is quite central and perfect. The customer service at this hotel was excellent. I called before our arrival and spoke to Bobbi and Jesus who were excellent and took down all of my requests including a wheelchair that they let us use for the entire week that we were there following my surgery at no cost. When we checked in, all of our requests were taken care of and we picked up the wheelchair as promised. Any time we needed anything, everyone was very accommodating and friendly.

I do have to comment on the room service breakfast. It was terrible, the fruit was old, and the oatmeal was a bag of instant quaker oatmeal. Don't waste your money on this. There is a Bristol Farms nearby and lots of bakeries. Just go pick up some things for your stay. You have a kitchenette which includes a mini refrigerator, microwave, sink and coffee maker that were all very convenient. Also, on the club level which all hotel guests have access to, you can get free coffee and tea all day. The concierge is there and the lounge is really nice with a flat screen TV, plush couches and outdoor seating which we got to enjoy. This hotel does not have 24 room service but you are in SF so you can order from just about any restaurant that you want and everything is delicious.
We had a wheelchair accessible room and it was huge, very spacious, had a fold out couch and large sitting chairs. I felt very comfortable there. There was a flat screen TV but it was a bit small and too far from the Bed. Also, they didn't have On Demand although they did have HBO.

The gym looked small but had everything that one would need for a full work out and the equipment looked modern.

We didn't try their restaurant but it always smelled good and they had live Jazz in the evenings that you could hear in the lobby that was wonderful.

Regardless of my few gripes above, I loved this hotel, was very appreciative to all of the staff and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple