“Great Room, Great Location, Great Stay”

The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #5 of 230 Hotels in San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I stayed for three nights at the Inn while attending a conference at the Moscone West site. The Inn is very conveniently located for downtown (right off union square), BART, just up the street from Powel Station, and the Powel Street Cable Car. The staff were superb. Every single person from the reception to the cleaning staff were friendly and welcoming. I didn't have an iron in my room... but it arrive literally a minute after I called the front desk. Otherwise my King room was excellent, VERY quiet. Bed was comfortable. Bathroom spotless. I particularly enjoyed the breakfast buffet and wine receptions (both served in small area on third and sixth floors so although tiny, conveniently set up to allow you to take tray back to your room). I saved about $100 per night staying here instead of at hotel recommended by my conference so I was very happy. I will certainly stay here again and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: My room was at the rear of the hotel on a small courtyard. Still enough light, but VERY quiet.. no s...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank ocall0
Write a ReviewReviews (1,706)

Reviewed 27 January 2012

Stayed there for two nights. Cozy, well-furnished rooms and well-equipped bathrooms. in a traditional hotel style that I like. Rooms have no view, except over the street. Omar and Ann at reception were helpful and cordial. The housekeeping staff was friendly and eager to please. No in-room fridge, but I understand they are available on request. A convenience store is right around the corner, and take-out is a short walk down Powell.

Our 5th-floor room was quiet. Because most rooms are off the street, I expect even the lower floors to be quiet. I've read about noise from other rooms, but we experienced none on our Sunday-Tuesday stay.

It may be customary for SF, but we did appreciate the umbrella in the closet during our rainy stay. While we were there our floor lobby was closed due to a water emergency, so had to visit other floors for ice. No biggie. The ice machines are ancient (the cubes tend to melt together) and need updating. All-in-all a pleasant stay. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: For more quiet, get a room farther back: 04, 05, etc. A higher floor well get more sunlight.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank luvtheworld
Reviewed 26 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here over Christmas and New Year on the recommendation of some friends, and we couldn't have made a better choice. We arrived in San Francisco and spent two nights in the inn, then took off for a short trip along the coast, then came back and spent another few nights at the inn before heading off again, this time to Russian River. We ended our trip in San Francisco and again stayed at the Inn on Union Square. Each time we came to the inn (3 times in total) we had a different room, and each time the room was clean, relatively quiet (just the sound of air conditioning or generators from other buildings in some rooms) and comfortable. Most of the rooms are at the back of the hotel with a view over the backs of other buildings, but we didn't mind, because we realised that if we'd had a view over Union Square it would have been too noisy. We paid for a regular Queen Room, but were upgraded to a Junior Suite at no extra charge without even asking for it. The staff were always friendly and helpful and made us feel most welcome. Omar at reception was particularly helpful, and it was he we saw most, as he was on duty over Christmas and New Year. He even sent a bottle of sparkling wine to our room when we returned from one of our trips to welcome us back. Wayne, the innkeeper, was also very friendly and helpful, and between them he and Omar provided us with lots of good tips on which restaurants and bars to visit. Anne, also on reception, went out of her way to be helpful too. The breakfast was served in the dining area on each floor, and there was a lot to choose from - bagels, pastries, cereals, fruit, etc, and although there was no minibar or fridge in the room, we were able to use the fridge in the dining area and make ourselves coffee or tea at any time of night or day. There was even a bowl of fruit there and a jar of home made cookies you could help yourself to any time. The cheese and wine reception every evening was also great fun. If we felt like socialising we could stay and mingle with Wayne and other guests, if not we could take some cheese and wine to our room. We were even encouraged to invite our friends along too, which was very generous. We'll definitely recommend this hotel to our friends and come back next time we visit San Francisco. The Inn at Union Square is a little gem!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank snooba
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent visit to the Inn at Union Square. It was truly our pleasure to have you as our guests over the holidays and thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback of your experience. The Inn’s staff takes great pride in providing exceptional service to our guests to ensure the their visit is memorable for all the right reasons. We have passed on the mentions to Ann, Omar and Wayne who are delighted to be recognized for their contribution to making your stay a “5” Star experience. We look forward to your return in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,
Inn at Union Square Management and Staff

Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed here the week between Christmas & New Years. Everything was perfect. The inn keeper and the front desk people couldn't have been more freindly and helpfully.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SHARON S
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Excellent boutique hotel 1/2 block from Union Square. The Good: 1st - Wayne the innkeeper is excellent at making every guest feel welcome & cared for! Every night 5:30 - 7pm, Wayne hosts a wine & cheese reception; this time, a winery came & poured their wines; a masseuse from local spa was on hand at the tasting for comp. 5 min. massages for guests -amazing!; every a.m. continental bfst in lounge area at end of each floor; top notch coffee/tea (complimentary) - better than any other hotel; Hop-on/off tour bus has a stop right at front door; 4 stops to the wharf. The Not As Good: 1) common in SF, must valet park; but unlimited in/out; get the parking package up front; 2) a bit older/more historic hotel so carpet in room a tiny bit warn/rooms smaller (i'm extremely picky); however spent most time out touring; std rooms don't have views.

Room Tip: front suites have Post Street view; only 30 rooms so book early;
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank sssssfffff
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I went solo to Union Square for the Christmas Holiday. I reviewed alot of hotels on trip advisor to find one that would suit me since I was by myself. This little boutique hotel offered the amenities I was looking for. I reserved a queen room (although I knew that the room is very small), but the price fit what I wanted to spend. When I arrived at the hotel, I was offered an upgrade to junior queen suite that also had a little sitting area. The room was nice appointed, although it was a little worn, but clean. View from room was not good (walls of other buildings and heating/air ventilation system or something in the middle of the buildings). Not a problem though...I was there for the Union Square Holiday lights! Wine reception offered at 5:30 was very pleasant with cheeses, fruits and crackers right at the end of my hallway in a sitting area. Breakfast was also served there with coffee, juices, scones, muffins, hard boiled eggs, fruits, yogurt and other little danishes. Very nice! They also had trays there so you can bring it all back to your room to enjoy. I felt very comfortable there and people were friendly also. If you are looking for something grand, this is not....it's a small, cozy hotel with a few nice perks to also include bottled water, newspaper and chocolates with turndown service!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank travelerlpl
Reviewed 10 January 2012

This is a great little hotel in an excellent location. It was very convenient for us to get to a lot of places. The rooms are a bit small-- on the first 2 days of our stay we were upgraded to a Deluxe King room and on our return from Napa Valley we had a Queen room. Even though the bed is larger, don't expect the Deluxe King room to necessarily be all that spacious. Although the rooms are a bit small the beds are comfortable. If you are not planning to spend a lot of time in your hotel room but intend to be out and about during your stay in the city, the size of the room should not be an issue and this hotel in my opinion is great value for money. One problem we had-- on our last night there our room was quite close to the lift on the 2nd floor and where breakfast was being served. You can hear the noise from other guests at breakfast, so don't plan on sleeping in.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, make sure you ask for a room that is away from the lift landing on the 2...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family