1,844 results
All reviewswine and cheeseunion squarecontinental breakfastother guestsevening cookieswarm cookiesfreshly baked cookiessmall hotelboutique hotelhard boiled eggsbrick wallyogurtevening winepost streetsitting areaceiling fanperfect location
Reviewed March 14, 2012

The reason I booked this small boutique hotel was location, reviews and it was literally half the price of our conference hotel. But they got everything right! My colleague and I were pleasantly delighted with our week long stay at this small boutique hotel; our rooms were lovely with great attention to detail, clean and quiet. The atmosphere and decor is European mixed with New England. The location is in the heart of the city, ideal for wonderful restaurants, shopping and galleries and within walking distance to the large conference hotels without the burden of staying in one. But it is the customer service that really makes the experience and this staff is absolutely outstanding; it really makes a difference when they anticipate your needs before you do and then add a few extra special surprises! From the minute I contacted Ann to make my reservation I knew it would be a great experience; she is an incredible ambassador for the hotel and indeed San Francisco. She greeted us at arrival remembering my name and the previous conversations. No matter what we asked, she responded with a smile, quickly made great recommendations, booked dinner reservations, transportation, and then she placed a bottle of wine in our room when we were working too late to enjoy the wine receptions. We genuinely thought she was the hotel owner until we met the owner one evening who also was very gracious and charming just like his hotel. In fact all of the staff we met during the week were great; it was clear it wasn't just a job, they genuinely wanted us to have a wonderful experience-what a nice change!
As part of the stay they offered a lovely continental breakfast, wine and cheese reception and tea in the evening and there was an abundance to be enjoyed at all three times.
We met guests from all around the world and a short drive away, some on business, others pleasure, but many were repeat customers.
Regardless of whether travelling alone, in a couple or with friends, I would highly recommend this boutique hotel, but as single women, this experience was truly appreciated. We both said we'd be back only next time on vacation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Deb1955_12
Reviewed March 5, 2012

My favorite hotel, period! (or exclamation mark, that is). Have stayed here on a couple of occasions, and have always been satisfied.

Cute little boutique hotel in downtown SF. The location is great, just a stone's throw from Union Square. Staff is very friendly, and they genuinely seem to like working there.

Rooms are small, but nicely decorated, and they have great amenities from Aveda. The bed is comfortable.

Their complimentary evening wine reception is great, with a good variety of cheeses and nuts.There is also coffee and tea served all day, and chocolate chip cookies at night. Continental breakfast is also included. Wifi is free.

Will be back!

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ymseduria
Reviewed March 1, 2012

In a world of pretention and exaggeration usually followed by disappointment and disillusion, the Inn at Union Square is a sweet surprise! For decades my preferred San Francisco hotel choice has been the St. Francis. But, for a recent girlfriend weekend, I decided to try something new. I was looking for a smaller and less hectic hotel near Union Square. Booking was easy and when I called to adjust my reservation prior to arrival, the person who answered the phone was happy to hear from me, as though I were traveling to the home of an old friend. I felt welcomed and I hadn’t even gotten there! At check-in which took only a few minutes, I learned that I’d been upgraded to a suite with a nice view of the St. Francis just across the street. The front desk person said that because I had friends staying in the hotel she was sure we needed a nice place to gather! I felt transported to a fine European hotel. The Inn is a narrow elegant 6-story property, easy to miss between gallery entrances but literally steps from Powell and Union Square. Despite being in the exact middle of the action, it maintains a romantic, cozy, and peaceful ambiance. The rooms are on one side of the hallways with a small dining/serving area on each floor. Breakfast every morning and wine tasting every evening is included. Since the breakfast room was very near my suite, I felt like I had access to my own kitchen where warm cookies awaited us every evening when we returned from dinner. Housekeeping was impeccable and timely; the entire hotel was immaculate and charming. The front desk staff was gracious, patient, knowledgeable about restaurants, shows, activities, and anything else we needed to know or do. Since it is a smaller hotel, they were not rushed or ever felt that we were imposing on their time. It was as if we were treasured guests and they were there to take care of us. This is a full service hotel but you swear you are in an elegant private villa in the middle of a large Italian city. My suite and the rooms of my friends felt spacious, the décor tasteful, the towels and linens expensive. I had two flat screen televisions and a great bathroom with just the right lighting. It was a small apartment where we gathered every morning and evening. I joined Stash, the loyalty program offered by the hotel, as I plan to make the Inn at Union Square MY hotel in San Francisco. I will recommend it to everyone I know though I kinda want to keep it to myself.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank sertp38
Reviewed February 28, 2012

This is a small, above-average hotel in a very convenient downtown location. It is not a luxury property but we found the hotel very quiet and pleasant and we would stay there again.
The breakfast was served daily (2 cold cereals, cold hard boiled eggs, bagels, selection of danish rolls, cinnamon rolls, oranges, apples, bananas, almond croissants, milk, OJ, caf and decaf coffee, a selection of teas). February 26, they had someone call in sick so the front desk manager was trying to cover the breakfasts on the 2nd and 5th floors while delivering newspapers and being available at the desk. He did the best that he could. I believe it was only a problem for guests in a hurry to leave who could not wait for him to catch up. The eating areas where food is served are quite small, but you can use their trays to take food to identical sitting areas on the other floors so it was not necessary to eat in one's room.
One evening, the "wine reception" was in a suite and featured pouring by a particular Sonoma winery. However, the other evenings the wine and cheese was served in the same two locations where breakfast is served. Few guests seemed to find or take advantage of it, but the wines were acceptable and the cheeses were very nice.
There is tea available in those small lounge areas at all hours. Cookies appear late in the evening.
The included wi-fi was fast enough for my smart phone. However, it is rather annoying to be required to log back in manually every time I wished to use it (even though I set the phone to remember and log in automatically).

Room Tip: The hotel is a narrow building. There are 7 rooms on each floor, numbered from front to back. The first 6 rooms look onto a brick wall that is about 3 or 4 feet away. Room 7 (607, 507, etc.) is at the rear of the property. The window looks onto a small area between buildings. Although the view is not much, it does afford you some (northern exposure) natural light. We were in 507. It was a very quiet room, a junior king suite. Even as a junior suite, it's a relatively small room but certainly adequate for two people as it includes a couch and an arm chair as well as a chair a the small desk.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cmish
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I knew it was a small hotel but geeezzzz....the lobby is the size of a large bathroom....only one person works there. Our room was also very small, but comfortable. They promise you breakfast each day....we only got it once. It was very nice the first day...lots of small, but nice choices...muffins, bagels, scones OJ, cereal, hard boiled eggs....only one table in another very small area. The second morning was a disaster....only decaf coffee and one tiny croissant was available....what the heck? I called the front desk and was told someone called in sick. I felt terrible for the guy working....he was very nice and seemed embarrassed. They also had a nice wine setup the first night too....descent looking wine and several cheeses and crackers. The best thing I can say is the location is awesome and it was the quietest hotel I've ever stayed at.

Room Tip: Our view was a brick wall...not sure if all are that way or not.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank susiemcbride92124
IAUSManager, General Manager at The Inn at Union Square - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Inn at Union Square and for sharing your comments. We strive to provide every guest with an exceptional experience however it appears we fell short of that goal during your visit. We do our best to anticipate and mitigate issues before they affect our guests but were caught off guard by extenuating circumstances. Our sincere apologies that the issue effected your stay. We have reviewed this incident to ensure this will not repeat in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Kind Regards and Safe Travels,