“Good is bad” 1 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Marino, California
“Good is bad”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

2 warnings about this place. One, it is in a very bad area. If you are staying alone, will be walking alone or just uncomfortable with junkie bums sleeping on the sidewalks this is not the place for you. I stayed here for 6 nights and on both taxi rides to and from the hotel I was warned by the drivers that the area is very bad. Two, don’t ship anything to this hotel. I do this often and this is the only hotel that did not give me my package when asked. They still have it as a matter of fact. I called for 4 weeks after my departure attempting to retrieve my package and it took 5 tries to get someone to find it. Then they asked for a credit card to ship it back to me. Crazy! They told me they would send it back to the shipper if I didn’t and they haven’t done that either. They just keep your stuff. The thieves.
The hotel was clean, no bedbugs but the maid through out a fresh bottle of water. Why? I am not into the sink being built in to the top of the toilet and the furniture is the cheap side of Ikea. You get 2 pillows and don’t ask for a 3rd. This hotel is not a customer service oriented hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Cruzam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

We didn't pay much. I stayed there 4 nights. People were very friendly. The room was very clean. No breakfast. Close to everywhere. I would go again. People who complained just want more but don't want to pay more. You want better expect to pay more. It is worth the money. I would really recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank marta784
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Cheap & basic, but does the trick. Good facilities, only let down was the room me and my mate got. Our "view" was the car park, but that was the only downside.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

We stayed one night here and found it to be very basic, more of a budget hostel then a hotel but without the budget price tag.Not a very good area either.( We moved on to the Parc 55 by Wyndham instead better rate and accommodation .) The hotel was clean enough, no bed bugs but very old building, really needs updating. The photos on the website are misleading. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rinnie S

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Brisbane
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Unfortunately hadnt read TripAdvisor before this hotel was booked. Looking for something Cheap doesnt always relate to good story afterwards! After friends giving rave reviews of San Fran, I really dont want to ever go back. Read the Hotels own blog, and got sucked in, did not find the area easy to travel around, and was out of the way of all the sight seeing activities we had planned. Liked Alcatraz and Wharf location and really should of stayed in that area. Hotel staff didnt seem to give a care about clientel and on checking out, asked to pay for bottle of water with cash, and was told not to worry about it. To then seeing it charged to my credit card 2 days later, with all the foreign xchange rate and conversion fees!!! Not impressed!! Spend the extra and stay in a safter, cleaner neighbourhood.

Room Tip: If you have already booked and have to stay there, DONT stay in the courtyard. Homeless people aski...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank SueBrisvegas
Portland OR
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

I, hopefully unlike you, fell victim to a very carefully shot and well written puff piece for this hotel. What it actually is as I write this from my room here is a crap hotel with some Ikea beds and furniture in a crap neighborhood, with non-existent 'free' internet ( you get a signal but it is impossible to connect), a $20 fee to park your car yourself in a tiny lot, no on-site restaurant or bar to ease the pain, and unless you are in an inner room, one of the noisiest hotel rooms I've ever been in in 40 years of traveling. If you pay more than $100 you are being way overcharged in my opinion, and you can find a much better $100 room in this city if you look hard for it.

Room Tip: Inside away from any street by all means
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Lockjaw43
california
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

I was compelled to write this review after recently staying at another eco-friendly hotel that puts this place to shame.

My husband and I stayed here last spring and were pretty excited to try something that appeared to be hip and eco-friendly. The price didn't really matter, we just wanted a fun San Francisco experience. This was not in the cards.

We couldn't enter through the lobby because it was being "redone" (there was never anyone working on it while we were here, it was just taped off), and the restaurant connected to it was also never open. After waiting for a few minutes the gentleman at the front desk was very helpful. He gave us directions and called a cab for us. That was the extent of our positive experience. The room was so much smaller than what they advertise and the bed was uncomfortable. The blankets were itchy and thin. The minimilist, recycled look they are going for just looks cheap and worn down. We tried not to let the disappointment get to us. This experience really affected what we thought about eco-friendly hotels- we have since learned that this place must be the exception because it has been the only "green" hotel to disappoint us.

It seems everyone has already said this, but it has to be mentioned. It's not in the best part of the city and there are homeless people all over. Part of the San Francisco experience, right? It's not the hotels' fault, and it also can't be helped that the sirens woke us up multiple times each night, (I think it's really close to a fire or police station) but it all just added to the negative experience.

Room Tip: Try somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple