“Strategic, good value, clean, friendly - I'd recommend it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of SF Plaza Hotel

SF Plaza Hotel
Ranked #200 of 227 Hotels in San Francisco
“Strategic, good value, clean, friendly - I'd recommend it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

==Location, Price, Cleanliness
The location is indisputably strategic, price is very reasonable, bedroom & bathroom was clean, reception was very helpful.
==Sleep
If you don't mind the traffic noise (it really wasn't that bad, for me anyway) - I found it quite a pleasant stay! And wouldn't mind returning to stay there in the future.
==Ambience / Facilities
The elevator, whilst creaky and fits 3 people max, lent an old-fashioned feel to the whole experience of staying in one of the oldest Chinatowns in the North America (and largest in the western world).
You can get free wi-fi on Level 2 in a common room too.
==Breakfast!
Breakfast was as someone says decent - since it comes with the room rate, why not? Unless of course you want to try out the local breakfast places around (you'd have to walk/climb a few blocks to get to one - remember though, San Francisco is renowned for its steep slopes!).
==My Conclusion?
For the price, I have to say this is well worth it! Exceeds my expectations!

Room Tip: I stayed on level 3 - closer to wi-fi (on level 2) but also closer to the streets below. So if you c...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Wen-NiChow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

I have never reviewed anything before but I feel so strongly against this hotel that I want to make sure others do not make the same mistake. We chose this hotel because they had the best price in downtown San Francisco. Little did we know what we got ourselves into. The outside looks good but once you walk out of the elevator, you notice the musty, moldy smell. Also, when you open your room, the smell becomes even stronger. The tv is rather small, has no remote control, has 4 channels (3 of which are blurry), and is literally so close to the bed that it is hard to watch. There is a random sink right by the bed, the room is really small, and the heater is so loud. The walls are also really thin and you can hear people walking and talking. This hotel smells so bad and seems dirty. Being in the room makes you feel gross and dirty. My feet were so itchy when I walked barefeet on the carpet. Is this a hotel? This is not even a motel. Hotel Astoria is definitely guilty of hotel identity theft. Do NOT stay at this hotel. It might be cheap for downtown San Francisco's standard but you can't pay a price for cleanliness and comfort.

• Stayed May 2012
6 Thank Ihearttravel313

Travellers are raving about these San Francisco hotels

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Great place, friendly staff, clean rooms, decent breakfast (no taking food out though, grr... ). Stayed six nights and will stay there again. Located right by the pickup point for bus tours and a block from the cable cars, walking distance from everything. Across the street from Starbucks, a nice restaurant and a liquor store.
Shuttle to the airport for $15 was perfect.
Thanks guys, have recommended you to similarly budget-conscious people.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank leftblanknow
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I would like to apologize to the fine people who gave San Francisco’s Hotel Astoria a bad review. I cannot help myself, I love this place.

Even after my fourth stay there, 9 nights at the end of March 2012, I cannot come up with any major flaw, or any serious inconvenience the Astoria has caused me. Quite the reverse! The staff’s helpfulness repeatedly exceeded my expectations, and the accommodation itself never failed to satisfy me.

Mind you, folks: This is a 1-star downtown hotel with rates below $60 per night, continental breakfast included. It’s the basic version of plain and simple, the no-frills type without the whistles and bells. But what they offer and what they do is straight forward and bang-on right, at least for me.

I will return to San Francisco in 2013. Meet me at the Astoria!

Room Tip: if you don't mind the noise, ask for a room facing Bush Street (more daylight)
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank fossilizer
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

We have stayed at Astoria Hotel for one night only. The hotel is centrally located just by the entrance to China Town and only 5 minutes walk from Union Square. It's a basic hotel but if you do not expect too much you won't be disappointed. The room was clean, there were towels and soap available (no shower gel or shampoo).

The staff in the reception was very helpful and if you wish they can arrange a shuttle bus to take to the airport (15 dollars per person, cab costs around 50 dollars).

I would recommend this hotel if you are on a budget and want to be close to the down town ( a bit of a walk to Fisherman's Warth).

Free wi fi on the 2nd floor.
Would go back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GreenBeanBun
vermillion
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Have you ever been to any hotel that has no microwave, no fridge, no AC, no hair drier,no ironing board, no internet,no doorcard? This is like that, and more. Everything is fallen apart, worn, dirty. You can hear the street noisy all night long, actually it feels like you are sleeping on the street, that loud! I can smell the stink cat litter smell. It is really not a hotel at all, it is an old apt that is the worst type. No soundproof. There are tricks that they would do to you. When we first book the "hotel", they give us a really low price like 50 bucks, and it is economic type. But you won't know what is economic, then when you are actually checking in, they would tell you, "hey, you don't have your private bathroom in this type, and if you want one, you need to pay more." OH, come on, what kind of hotel doesn't provide private bathroom? This one is, I am not joking. They don't provide you nothing, and yes, they will charge you for your bathroom. I would tell every friend that I know that how terrible this hotel is. Don't be fooled by they 3 star rate, that is definitely not true, They have nothing. The low price is just to trick you. For God's sake, I am not saying anything untrue.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
State College, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I chose the hotel by looking for cheap hotels close to my favorite bar in SF. For the price, it is very fair. And: breakfast is included! It would be nicer if the breakfast started earlier (it starts at 8). True, the breakfast is not super fancy schmancy (toast, coffee, muffins, etc), but good enough for me. I had a room directly over the gate to China town, loved the view. Note that there is no AC, just old-school (open window) ventilation. The room was fairly clean and actually overall the hotel exceeded my expectations. I will probably choose this place again when I am next in SF. Also note that the wireless is only accessible from the "common room".

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business