The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sammamish, Washington
“Super”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

My wife and I made our first non-business trip to SF. The Hotel Monaco was our chioice based on prior visits to sister property in Portland. We were not disappointed. Location excellent. Easy walk to Union Square, BART, Chinatown. We even walked to Wharf. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Service was outstanding. Coffee service available in room and lobby. Evening wine reception at 5:00 pm. Complimentary chair massage! We arrived via air and BART, but noticed pricey overnight valet parking ($50). Highly recommend the Hotel Monaco SF.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 18 February 2012

We arrived in mid-afternoon with others from our company. Others were quickly shown to their rooms but we had a king, and were told it wasn'g ready yet. We had a late lunch and when we returned, it still wasn't ready yet. At first they offered to switch us to a queen room, but we had paid for a king, I wasn't budging. However, finally around 4:30 when the room still wasn't ready, they offered us an upgrade which we took. The junior suite was excellent and made our stay wonderful. We got a discount on a spa treatment which I took advantage of. The room was lovely and the bedding was very comfortable. We really enjoyed it. The massage I got was extraordinary! The workout room was well equipped and pleasant. The sauna and steam room were great as well. Didn't try out the whirlpool but it looked fine.

We ate in the Grand Cafe (hotel restaurant) and my dinner (sirlon) was very good but others in our party were disappointed with the cassoulet. We all enjoyed the wine hour with snacks. It was a great place to rewind. Unlike other wine offerings at hotel, the Hotel Monaco had enough seating for folks to stay through the hour. It was a lot of fun. I also enjoyed the Aveda products in the bathroom, the provided terry robes, umbrellas and the free NYTimes and other newspapers available in the morning along with coffee and tea.

We really enjoyed our stay, after a rocky start, but it proved to be a blessing to get the upgrade. I'd definately stay here again!

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor as it is a mixed use space, with business rooms and hotel rooms. We stayed n...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank jenkins_2004
Hotel_Monaco_GM, Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us while in San Francisco for business. I apologize for the delayed check in experience and I thank you for being so understanding. I'm delighted we were able to give you a complimentary upgrade to a junior suite and it seems after the initially rocky start, things turned up. I'm so glad you enjoyed your room and the amenities in it such as the umbrellas, robes and morning paper. I'm also glad to hear that although you were close to the elevator, you heard no elevator noise.

Thank you for taking advantage of the Spa discount. I am so glad that you were able to get some relaxation in while here for work. I am also pleased to hear you were able to dine at the Grand Cafe and enjoy the sirloin. We have a new Chef who has made some amazing changes and additions to the menu. Thanks again for your feedback- We can't wait for you to stay with us again!
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed here for a travel association conference and I was joined by my fiance. We were assigned to a room which we just couldn't stand staying in for those 4 days in San Francisco. Tiny room - San Francisco style. The only view was to a courtyard from a small window. It seemed like the room was in the basement of the hotel. We decided to upgrade to a suite and we were assigned to a third floor room. And now we experienced the true Kimpton!

Gigantic bathroom. Really nice bedroom with a huge bed. Nice living room. Perfect housekeeping - besides that one time when we were in the shower and the maid came in and didn't notice us until I was standing quite naked in front of her. Not my proudest moment... But the Monaco was worth it all. Great staff. Perfect location with Union Square a short walk away and a 24-hour supermarket across the street. Expect som noise - you are in a city so you should not mind anyway.

Stay here. You'll enjoy the hotel. San Francisco - that's an entirely different story!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Have stayed here a number of times although this is my first review of the place. Ideally located a few blocks from Union Square, the hotel is well placed for business or leisure. Kimpton (Owners) often do deals and I managed to secure a good room at a good price. Although perhaps a little small, my room was well proportioned with all ameneties plus quality soaps etc. The whole place has a very European feel about it which I enjoyed - not the usual stuff served up in the US. Reception was efficient as was room service (try the onion soup...delicious!). This is all well complemented by the Grand Cafe, an art-deco masterpiece of a restaurant on the ground floor. Great breakfasts served up - try the Roast Chicken Hash, unusual and tasty. In summary, if you are looking for a touch of old fashioned luxury in a great city, try the Hotel Monaco.........especially if you can secure a good room rate.

Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
missoula, montana
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Kimpton has it figured out. I have stayed at numerous Kimpton properties around the country and they always meet or exceed expectations. SF Monaco is no exception. Close to everything you would want to do in downtown SF without having to drive. Staff is very cordial and helpful and seem to always go the extra mile. Rooms are very clean and very eclectic with bold approach to mixing colors and stripes. Did not get a chance to eat in the restaurant so can't advise there. Only complaint is the cost for valet parking, $50 a nite unless you have a full size SUV then it's $65. Nevertheless very much enjoyed our weekend stay at the Monaco.

1 Thank stateofgrace-montana
Hotel_Monaco_GM, Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
It is so great to see yet another Kimpton fan for life! Thank you for staying with us during your trip to San Francisco. I am glad you were able to enjoy our central location and our unique decor. Perhaps during your next stay you can dine at the Grand Cafe and try some of our new Chef's items! I do apologize if the cost of valet parking seemed a bit steep. In our very central location, we are comparatively priced for hotel parking. Luckily, we are also close to public transportation in case people would prefer to leave their cars at home or take the BART in from the airport. Hope we see you next time!
Toulouse, France
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I spent 7 nights at the hotel Monaco in Jan/Feb. 2012.

I Flew from France to visit the city and this hotel was a perfect place to stay.

The staff is really nice and helpful, they provided us with all the information we needed.

The hotel lobby is very nicely decorated, with great services such as free coffee in the morning and wine tasting at evenings by the fireplace.

We had a room on the 7th floor. As requested at booking, it was calm and I've got to say it features one of the best beds I've had in hotel rooms ever. However small the room was very convenient with a lot of amenities and a very well stocked minibar. As a Kimpton intouch member, I had a complimentary $10 voucher at the minibar which was nice.

The fitness area is quite well equipped and the sauna/jacuzzi and steam room are so enjoyable after a day of sightseeing.

Well, a very positive review for an hotel where we'll be definitely back.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DomVersyn
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Had a wonderful one night stay in a deluxe queen room on the 6th floor. Furnishings were fun and romantic, the bed was comfortable, and loved the amenities (free wifi and $10 minibar credit with Kimpton membership program, cucumber and orange water in the lobby, and coffee/tea service in the morning). Didn't hear any street or neighbor noise from the room. Staff were incredibly friendly and I wish we could've stayed longer (and tried the sauna!)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hotel_Monaco_GM, Manager at The Marker San Francisco, A Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay with us! I'm so glad to hear you were able to utiltize most of the amenities we have to offer such as the coffee & tea station in the morning. Thank you for being a Kimpton Intouch member and reaping the many perks it has to offer. I hope we see you during your next trip so that you can use the sauna (as well as the $30 discount that comes with your Kimpton membership).