“Badlands Best”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Interior
Circle View Guest Ranch
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Wonderful family ranch! Fantastic breakfasts to say the least. 360 degree view for miles. Perfect location to spend time in BADLANDS. Had neat lightning show, probably 30 miles away/ 180 degree view.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Circle View Guest Ranch

Reviewed 18 July 2012

We now been to circle view ranch 3 times! We cannot go out west without going to this ranch. I have recommended it to at least 5 friends who have all LOVED it. It's located right outside of the Badland's National Park. There is a certain charm about this place that keeps us coming back. It's perfect for a family, very relaxing. They have a game room with ping pong and board games for the kids. There is a nice deck to sit and watch the sunset. We also loved their dog, cat, chickens and burros. Not to worry if you are allergic (I am), the animals are not allowed inside. As far as the hosts go, I noticed that some people wrote that they were friendly to some people and cool to others. I found that if you spoke to them and asked questions they were very friendly and helpful. I think they just like to respect peoples privacy and give them their space. The rooms were clean and had private bathrooms. The breakfast was amazingly good! Amy (the host) took the kids out to collect the eggs to use for breakfast and also let the kids feed the burros. They were great with our children! We also love horseback riding at a ranch that just a couple minutes away. It's run through a relative of the host, ask them about it if you would like a nice free ranch ride.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed her over 4th of July week. This was my first trip to the Badlands and have no frame of reference for what to expect. This B&B is located just a couple miles outside the National Park Entrance.

Its located on a giant hill formation. Driving up stay to the left, otherwise you will drive right over chicken coop!! And you dont want to do that, otherwise you will not have any breakfast because they use the fresh eggs from the chickens to make the next mornings breakfast!

They have plenty of space, large and comfortable beds, and private bathrooms.

Breakfast is home cooked and served hot! We had the priviledge to eat two times with the Kruse family and both times was the absolute best breakfast. They fill you until your full! They have many different types of beverages and they give you plenty of options. They have a full kitchen with everything you need to prepare/cook meals!

This was the best Bed and Breakfast at a fair and reasonable price.

Thanks for the wonderful two days!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This is a great place to stay in the Badlands. Very nice room, clean and comfortable. Fantastic B&B homemade breakfast. Great views, quiet with 6000 acres to explore. Had fun with their dog and cat, chickens and burros.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I have to agree with much of Anniescoota's review. The ranch is very clean and well maintained with big bathrooms, plenty of space. However, I felt the same way about the hosts. They were friendly with some guests while a bit cool to the rest. Breakfast was early at 7:30. Although it worked okay with our schedule, I don't like to have to be up and ready that early while on vacation. Other places we visited have a range of time for breakfast which is kinder to the traveler. Their website does encourage the guest to stock up on food before arriving. We heeded this advice and were glad we did, it is secluded. They do not offer any complimentary snacks or drinks. There is a very nice, fully stocked kitchen as long as you have your own food/drinks. Also, they have a hodgepodge of shampoo, conditioner and lotion, some with hotel names on the labels, in a box in the living room. You may want to bring your own rather than take a chance of what they have available when you arrive. I give it four stars because of the location and cleanliness of the property.

Room Tip: We had Room #1 which had the air-conditioning unit directly outside which was loud so I could not op...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Pittsburgh12
Reviewed 5 July 2012

This was our first experience at a Bed & Breakfast. The place is clean, smells good, and comfortable. There is a game room (Ping pong, foose ball, and some toys) for the kids. Amy is very nice and seems very busy running the place.

Breakfast was good and served hot. The kids seemed to really enjoy this part of their vacation. They loved the chickens, burros, and game room. If you like Bed & Breakfast, I would recommend Circle View.

But:

Phil.....you got to stop the politics talk. It doesn't mix well for people who disagree with you and who are trying to enjoy their vacation. We like hearing about how life is in South Dakota, not about how you believe public workers are bankrupting the nation. Little did you know you were saying all this to a public worker who scrapped and saved money for over 6 years for this vacation. Amy's french toast thing at breakfast saved the day

There was a large family wedding staying the same time we did. This family was associated with the owners. Our experience went from being guests to feeling like we were in the way. The owners didn't make us feel this way but it was just the circumstances. It was just one of those unpleasant uncomfortable feelings that is hard to explain.

Curfew/Quiet time was also kind of strange. We thought quiet time was 10 but kept hearing people talk about how 9 PM was curfew. Once 9:00 PM hit all the lights were turned out and no one was around. With no TV's in your rooms you may want to consider bringing something to do while you lay in bed.

Advice - Ask for a room upstairs. Especially, if you want to sleep in. Breakfast is served downstairs and early risers are very loud when you are trying to sleep.

Overall, this stay was a nice experience. We experienced it. We probably won't do it again. It just wasnt' our cup of tea. If you want to be on your on time table while on vacation take a look at Custer, SD. Lots of very nice hotels offering breakfast. Granted, it is not as good as Amy's but it still fills the stomach before seeing the sites.

Room Tip: Try to get a room upstairs.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ffla98
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us at the ranch. I'm happy that your kids had a fun time with the animals and that you enjoyed the cinnamon pecan baked french toast! I'm sorry about the wedding chaos that week. I'm always hesitant to host events like this because of how it may effect our other guests. I'm glad that you were still about to enjoy your time with us in spite of all the activity.
I truly truly apologize for Phil and his offense comments. Im grateful for your candid remarks and have passed this feedback onto him. I personally feel it's tacky to have these conversations with people who are relaxing and enjoying their vacation for this exact reason. He agrees that he was out of line and has vowed to change his topic of breakfast conversation from here on out. WE ALL THANK YOU for that! Thanks for giving us a favorable review and we're glad you choose to stay with us.

Reviewed 4 July 2012 via mobile

My family visited the ranch after staying in a cottage for a week in the black hills. We were SO ready for a home cooked breakfast & a private bathroom! The CVGR did a good job with both. However, we expected so much more based on the trip advisor reviews. I guess I have to be more careful with trip advisor....there are so many differing opinions for a five star review-- I just need to keep reminding myself of that. Anyway, the home , views, beds , bathroom and overall accommodations were just fine. I loved the fact that my daughter spent an hour chasing / feeding chickens right after breakfast!! The fresh scrambled eggs for breakfast were the best I've ever had!! Things that could be improved on: I did not find the owners to be overly inviting or friendly, though I tried to start conversation with them, the meal ( except for the eggs) was just average, the room ( bottom floor) was very hot at night( early June) with no way to adjust the temperature, and typically , at least bottled water, coffee or tea should be offered at no charge to guests at a 'guest ranch' or bed & breakfast. Overall, the CVGR was a nice place to stay, I just don't see a 5 star rating from so many travelers!

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank anniescoota
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Thanks for taking the time to offer feedback about your stay with us at the Circle View Guest Ranch. We are pleased that you found the ranch to be clean and the location to be suitable. I’m very happy to know that your daughter found the chickens entertaining (they are also my favorite part of the ranch!) I am sorry, however that you didn’t feel like we were inviting or happy that you decided to stay with us at our family ranch. We certainly try to do our best at letting guests know that they are welcomed and very much appreciated. Summer is a very busy time around the ranch and there are times when we are not able to visit and chat with everyone as much as we’d like to.

I am disappointed that you thought breakfast was just average. We find that most guests really enjoy our breads and pancakes made with homegrown wheat, that we grind fresh, in-house each week. Our locally harvested buffalo sausage and homemade blueberry-almond granola with fresh fruit and yogurt have been favorites among guests for years. I’m sorry that you weren’t pleased with these things.

I’m also very sorry that you weren’t comfortable during your 1-night stay with us. In the spring and early summer our nights are cool (usually in the 50’s and 60’s) and many guests tell us how much they enjoy an open window with the fresh night air filling their room as they sleep. So, although the days are warm, when it’s that cool at night the air conditioner doesn’t run and many guests tell us they really appreciate the fresh air. Once the summer heat hits (usually in mid-June) the air-conditioner rarely takes a break!

We do offer a full stocked coffee, tea, hot chocolate station in the lower kitchen for guests to enjoy at anytime along with coffee in the upper kitchen, all at NO charge. Instead of hauling water bottles over 80 miles from “town” and dealing with the plastic waste, we’ve invested in a large water filtering system where guests can enjoy as much great tasting filtered water as they’d like with taps located at all 3 kitchen sinks within the house. I’m sorry that we failed to inform you of these things during your stay with us.

Again- thanks for providing us with this feedback allowing us to provide the best possible experience for future guests!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Interior
35.9 km away
35.8 km away
Days Inn Wall
Days Inn Wall
#10 of 11 in Wall

Been to Circle View Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!