“Wow a gem off the highway”

Little Red Market Cafe
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Mortlach
Price range: US$12 - US$24
Description: Cajun and Creole comfort food, wine, liquor, and beer list features. Also an off-sale liquor store.
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

Had the Clint Eastwood chicken sand with real roast chicken, bacon, strong cheese arugula and tomatoes. Comes with cole slaw and beans (nicely spicy home made)

All on in house sour dough bread

Make the journey, 20 min from the Jaw?

Service is as good as the cooking

1  Thank Nakodo
Write a reviewReviews (49)

Reviewed April 5, 2014

What a great find! This little old building houses a cozy little cafe with a short but thoughtful menu. It was lunch today (and we'll be back for the supper cuisine), and we went back to the future with The Mad Dog Tannen Philly cheese steak sandwich and the Clint Eastwood roasted chicken sandwich. The Mad Dog was served open faced with beef, mushrooms, red green and yellow peppers, red onions and jack cheese drenched in a delicious sauce; a wonderful interpretation. The Clint was so hug, my wife could only eat half, and had to take the rest home. both came with unusual sides: coleslaw and baked beans; Huh! Not quite stuffed enough, we shared a pear tart tatin; yummy! Bridie (not Birdie) is a wonderful host. If she can't coax a smile out of you, you'd better change your meds! Can't wait to go for supper (reservations recommended).

Date of visit: April 2014
2  Thank daveinthejaw
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We were off to Moose Jaw spa and wanted a good place to eat! By chance we found the small town of Mortlach and the Little Red Market Cafe! If you like small, quaint, welcoming hosts and good food you are in luck. We had sourdough sandwiches. 'The Clint Eastwood' and 'The Wolf' both were great mine was stuffed full of roasted chicken, sausage, tomato, bacon, mushrooms and peppers; very good! For desert my wife had a homemade scone stuffed with real vanilla ice cream, and finished with some whipped cream, strawberry reduction and a drizzle of local honey. Just a cute homey place in the middle of the prairies. We already reserved to go back for an evening meal! I will try the braised lamb shank, pan seared duck breast or the halibut.

Just glad this place popped up. As a foodie I am always looking for unique and honest food. This is it and I hope they keep it up!

Date of visit: January 2014
3  Thank Todd S
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Wonderful little cafe, bistro, liquor store in Mortlach, Saskatchewan. About 35 kilometers west of Moose Jaw. Well worth the find! I would drive from Regina for a night or lunch here anytime! I just happened to find it through google. Seats maybe fifteen and for evenings I would reserve. We drove there today for lunch. I had 'The Wolf' a lovely warm sandwich on sourdough filled with chicken, suasage, bacon, mushrooms, peppers, onions and cheddar. My wife had 'The Clint Eastwoood' again a warm sandwich with roasted chicken, bacon, tomato, arugala, white cheddar and a peach-chipotle mayo!!! We loved this find. Nice couple with personality running it and no we have never been there and don't know them or the town. We already reserved for Valentines and added a nearby motel to retreat to. Evening menu has duck breast, lamb shanks and halibut...........in rural Sask???!!!

My only hope is that they stick to their fresh food and local ingredients. As on now with just six months under there belt it is a wonderful and delightful visit to small town Sask! Oh and my wife had a 'Honey Buzz' which is a homemade scone filled with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with LOCAL honey and a strawberry compote. Keep it going.....this is a nice find!

Date of visit: January 2014