“One Of My New Favorite Places”

Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten
Ranked #179 of 829 Restaurants in Asheville
Price range: US$0 - US$27
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Houses
Description: The Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten is located on 332 Weaverville Highway just a few minutes north of the city of Asheville, North Carolina. Each season abounds with it's own activities! We are only 20 minutes from The Biltmore House and Gardens, 13.4 Miles to the The Blue Ridge Parkway, and an hour drive to the beginning of the Great Smoky Mountain National Park at the Cherokee Indian Reservation. The Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten is surrounded by abundant natural beauty, friendly atmosphere, wealth of year-round outdoor activities including winter skiing, hiking, biking, and fishing. Enjoy our rich history, and lively local arts and music scene. Just about every weekend from spring until fall, Asheville and its surrounding towns play host to all kinds of festivals from Bele Chere, the southeast's largest outdoor street festival, to the Mountain Dance & Folk Festival which celebrates the area's rich heritage.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

As familiar as I am with this area (even having stayed in the neighboring cabins), I had no idea this gem of an establishment existed. Until one day when we were in town looking for a new place to dine, we found the Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten through an internet search.

Now, I have over the years fallen in LOVE with German culture -- the food, the BEER, the amazing people -- and so I relish any opportunity to immerse myself in anything German, outside of visiting there (which will happen soon enough). So finding this place was indeed a pleasant surprise.

And it does not disappoint!

I fell instantly in love. Sure the pace is slower than what we might be used to here in the US. But personally, I don't enjoy restaurants that serve me the bill my main course. If that's what you want, there are plenty of chain restaurants in town you can go to. No. The Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten is meant to be soaked in, savored, and lingered in. And that's exactly what we do every time we visit.

In terms of the food, I've not been disappointed yet. They start you off with bread and butter which is a great compliment to the Vienna Salad. I'm a fan of schnitzels (and a small eater) so that is always where attentions are focused. To date I've had their Jäger Schnitzel and the Matterhorn Schnitzel, both of which I absolutely loved. And there's no doubt in my mind that the other schnitzels are equally delicious. I look forward to trying more menu items on future visits.

Moving onto their drink offering...
There's a full bar and they offer a bevy of presumably German-themed specialty cocktails. I haven't really explored these cocktails nor their wine list because well... how can I? What, with all the AMAZING BEERS they have here! They've got a great selection of german beers on tap and in bottles that I haven't been able to find anywhere else locally. My favorite beer hands down comes from the longest continually operating brewery in the world, WEIHENSTEPHAN.

My particular favorite is the Hefeweisen, which they offer mixed with other flavors -- raspberry, cola, and lemonade. These are good if you're not normally a beer drinker and are looking for a light refreshing flavor. Me, I like my beer, BEER... And God bless, the people at Weihenstephan have been perfecting their craft since the year 1040AD!

One more reason (as if it needs anymore reasons) I absolutely love the Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten is that they offer liter beers. But wait. Not just liter steins that we might expect from any self-respecting German themed establishment. Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten serves their liter beers in THE BOOT!

Sure, call it schtick. Call it gimmick. Call it what you will. But where else have you been able to drink premium beer from the oldest brewery in the world in a friggin cool German-themed establishment out of a boot?!

Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten is the only place I know of so far, and that's plenty enough to keep me coming back for more.

Janis J, Owner at Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Wow! Thank you so much for your sentiments.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I have wanted to try this place for a while and I am glad I did, but I don't think I will return. The service and atmosphere is great. The cocktails and wine are great. The food is, unfortunately, lacking and expensive. The schnitzels were dry, the potato salad was really gelatinous (I am familiar with warm German potato salad) and the brats and sauerkraut was just boring.

Janis J, Owner at Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hello, I am Janis, and would love to talk with you about your experience. You may call me at the restaurant, and if I am not there, I will return your call. 828-645-8383. Please do call. I want to make this right, whether with you or in the kitchen. We are authentic German food with many positive reviews. We do all from scratch, and it might be possible that we had an off night.

Reviewed 31 December 2017

Well things started off poorly and went downhill fast. We were greeted by our waitress who had laryngitis. she was filling in for the regular waitress who was out sick.Ordered our beers from a decent selection of German beers. Tasty! Ok, I was raised on German food. I've been to Germany many times and frankly this is not very good German food. My wife's Kase Bratwurst had no cheese in it. We inquired if it was the right bratwurst as it tasted like Knoblauch bratwurst, but were told it was the kase wurst. My goulash was so heavily spiced with paprika to make it almost inedible. The waitress warned us that the chef liked it "super spicy". No kidding. Plus, the amount of meat in my $22 dish was hard to find. Tiny little chucks of meat. The entree had clearly been sitting under a heat lamp as the gravy was congealed with a "skin" on top. The spatzle did not taste fresh made but rather reheated. The apple strudel was disappointing. Not good German food. Decor was charming and did invoke memories of Germany. Service was OK given she was not feeling well.She tried hard.

Reviewed 9 December 2017 via mobile

A short drive out of Asheville to an old cabin. We had mixed feelings about this place. Great beer choices and prices! Normally we like German potato salad but not a fan of thers.My brat was very bland and the red cabbage was a bit different. Husband liked his jaeger schnitzel a lot. The service was great but not excited about the food. With so many places to choose from I probably won't go back.

1  Thank roadtripmomma
Janis J, Owner at Bavarian Restaurant & Biergarten, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2017

I appreciate your honesty. Glad your husband liked his jaeger schnitzel. The gravy is very popular. Which bratwurst did you get? As to the red cabbage, people usually rave about it. Sometimes it has to do with where one is used to eating in Germany, which is a big country and diverse in its flavors.

I wouldn't give up! We have lots of other items on the menu. Our Sauerbraten is a beef that we marinate for two weeks and people come specifically to enjoy that. Rolladen, too, is most popular.

Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Great food, beer and service. Charming little restaurant very much like small village local restaurants in Germany.