“Awesome coffee”

Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Downtown Asheville
Description: Green Sage Café is committed to making healthy food using pure, organic, local, non-gmo and humanely-raised ingredients. We offer a wide assortment of organic farm-to-cup coffee and espresso drinks, whole-leaf teas, raw juices, whole-fruit smoothies and scratch-made pastries and meals with vegan and gluten-sensitive options. We are an environmentally responsible company gratefully serving an enlightened community that cares about our future. Breakfast and lunch served all day!
Reviewed October 23, 2018 via mobile

You have to be willing to wait. It’s busy. Healthy food options and all good. From oatmeal to breakfast sandwiches to burritos. Best coffee in Asheville.

Reviewed October 19, 2018 via mobile

There are things to love and things that need changing (IMO). We went to the location across from AC Marriott.
Bad news:
1. Long line out front and not clear to newbies what the seating/order protocol was. Maybe Ashevillians know the routine but no one i asked in line knew. (Stand in line, order and pay at the counter, sit and wait for your food. Not the coziest reception.)
2. They bring the food out, ask if you are set and don’t ask again. If you need something, you have to flag someone down. If you want to order more, I guess you have to wait in line again?
3. You have to clear your own table. No problem, except they have a dirty plate station that has a row of recycling bins. That’s cool except for the people who are eating at tables up against the recycling bins. I was slopping leftover food into the compost bin a few inches from a couple trying to eat their breakfast. I felt bad for them. It was kind of gross. If I leave a tip, hire someone to bus the tables to a location where the customers don’t have to see it.
4. As another reviewer mentioned, I also got a coffee mug with a sizable chip in it that had a coffee stain around it.

Good news
1. Friendly staff
2. Good food. Lots of gf options

Given the other breakfast options in the area, we probably won’t be back.

Reviewed October 7, 2018

I have been to both the downtown and the south locations, trying many different food options and have never been disappointed. Being a big breakfast fan, my usual choices fit that bill, but they have a wide menu for many tastes. Most recently I had, the Pura Vida breakfast bowl which was quite filling and delicious. I've also had the egg breakfast sandwich and the everything avocado toast which were both also excellent. The coffee is also excellently roasted and flavorful.

Reviewed September 21, 2018

My wife and I rented a nearby condo, and this cafe happened to be close by. We ate there twice during our week-long stay. Despite the vegan, vegetarian, organic, non-GMO offerings for the young hipsters, a 60+ oldster can get a good artery clogging pork sausage and egg biscuit sandwich for breakfast -- so don't shy away if you happen to be a carnivore. My wife had the avocado toast one day, and their avocado/salmon sandwich the other day. Everything was delicious. For new comers, you have to order at the counter, and they will bring the food to your table. At the end of the meal, you bus your own table by taking your plates, napkins, utensils, and food scraps to their recycling station where they have bins for washables (plates and utensils), recyclables (plastic ware), and compost (paper napkins and food scraps). Very interesting and eco-smart! If I lived in the area, I would have breakfast there often!

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed September 19, 2018 via mobile

In the heart of Downtown Asheville, the Green Sage offers interesting choices of meals in a casual, friendly setting. The food is well-prepared and tasty. Very friendly staff, and a relaxing atmosphere.

Date of visit: September 2018