“Great friendly staff but otherwise just average for the price”

Super 8 Asheville Tunnel Road
Ranked #26 of 63 Hotels in Asheville
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
“Great friendly staff but otherwise just average for the price”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I recently stayed here with my parents during a long weekend visit. The front desk staff was very helpful and always accomodating. From the exterior the hotel looked as if it was remodeled a few years back but the interior was dated and worn. I know this is only a Super 8 but for the price we paid the rooms were just acceptable. They do offer nice amenities such as free wifi and breakfast but if you're expecting something modern and plush you'll be disappointed.

Room Tip: Do NOT book this room via Hotels.com, you'll get a better price by calling directly.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank chris t

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Fairfield, Iowa
Reviewed 23 July 2011

My girlfriend and I have been travelling on a 2 week trip visiting family, and we have been staying at Super 8, Days Inn, Ramada, and Motel 6 all over the place. This hotel was one of the best Super 8s we have been stayed at. The gentleman who checked us in was great. He was very polite, gave us a room close to the office, and gave us the AAA rate when we couldn't find our card. We had a issue with the TV not working, but the guy was very happy to give us a another TV. I couldn't believe it when I saw him the next morning. His boss must work him to death. The beds were nice and the breakfast was great. I have never seen a Super 8 carrry eggs, sausage, and gravy before. The place was very clean, but there were alot of ants outside. The drink machine wasn't working and the keys weren't working that well, but overall it was a great place and we had a wonderful night. Too bad they don't have a pool, because that would have made the place perfect.

Room Tip: Nice beds and quiet rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LadiLuci91
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Wanted to make sure this Super 8 gets credit for an awesome stay. I only stayed for one night but I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the room.
The staff was very helpful in questions that I had and I was greeted the following morning by Garry the general manager of the hotel.. Had a "GREAT" breakfast and was on my way.
I'll stay again when I'min the Asheville area.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Woodman007
Rocky Mount, Virginia
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We loved this motel! It was very clean and fresh-smelling! Had a microwave, refrigerator, coffeemaker, hair-dryer. Very roomy! They had a free hot breakfast that was great, included sausage, eggs, gravy, biscuits, muffins and more! The rate was excellent. We really got our money's worth here! When we go back to Asheville, we'll go back to Super 8!!! Wonderful!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank hikers4
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I cannot say enough about the friendliness of the staff at this Super 8, especially the manager, Garry. When we entered to inquire about a room, Garry and another employee were helping a lost family who had his motel confused with the Super 8 in the next town, Black Mountain, where they had a reservation. Both men patiently explained to the group that they were in Asheville, not Black Mountain. They made calls for the family, gave them excellent directions to their original destination, and calmed the flustered women. They were SO nice to them! I was SO impressed. After waiting on them they gave us a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price on the ground floor, which we requested. Courtesy is in short supply these days, but it is alive and well at the Super 8 in Asheville.

Room Tip: Just ask, staff was happy to meet our requirements
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MizCindyLou
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Its a Super 8 like all others. It took us about 20 minutes to check in because the reception was unmaned and it took a guy 20 minutes to show up. We parked in the rear so that our car was below the room - we were on a room in the rear in the back. I would have preferred a room in the front, because the rear is slightly isolated and I was less than certain of the guests on the ground floor. But there was no issue - my car was full of stuff. I prefer the parking in the front, so I parked there on the 2nd day.

Cheaper hotels in Asheville are in this neighborhood. We wanted to see Chimney Rock, which is about 30 minutes away. For that, I would have preferred a hotel closer to the place, but this was the cheapest place. The entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway is not far away, about 3 miles which was perfect for me after I had checked out.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Greenville, NC
Reviewed 16 March 2011

Our room was VERY dark and dingy compared to the room photos on the website. Also, service is pretty poor... there were several times we called the front desk during normal business hours and nobody answered. Also, the wireless service is TERRIBLE... it constantly crashes, is very slow, and does not work with most browsers. The best thing about this hotel is that the provided breakfast is better than what most budget motels offer. We booked this hotel during a promotion, so I feel like it was ok for the price we paid, but I would not pay over $55 per night to stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple