New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Tapas” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zambra

Zambra
Reserve with OpenTable
Zambra is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 757 Restaurants in Asheville
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown Asheville
Cross street: Haywood Street
Description: Our dynamic menu is the passion of Executive Chef Adam. Adam has attained many influences through his training in Europe and New Orleans. Zambra is his modern vision of the tastes and flavors of the western Mediterranean: Spain, Portugal, Gypsy, and North Africa. As an appropriate accompaniment, we have assembled the region's finest selection of Spanish and New World wines. We have been awarded the Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence and our wine list has been voted the best in Asheville.
Canton, North Carolina
“Tapas”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Zambras is fundamentally a tapas bar. Howerer, they really don't try to match drinks and meals togeter as they do in Spain. I have a real problem with their approach to food. I order dish A. two weeks ago and order the same dish A next week and it is completely different depending on the chef's whim. I am supportive of culinary innovation but if you are modifying a dish don't callit the same thing. Second, my son-in-law is not very fond of seafood. He ordered a salmon dish expressly requesting a welldone fish. Although I cringed inside, if that was what he wanted so be it. The chef refused to honor that request and sent out what was, essentially raw sashima. Certainly, not what my son-in-law was looking for. Now I may agree with the chef. but it is not his choice as to the customer's taste. We sent it back and the chef refused to cook it further. At least he didn't cook it and spit on it.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great place for drinks with friends”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stopped in for some after dinner drinks with friends and stayed for hours because we were having such a great time. Josh at the bar mixed up some fabulous cocktails for me, taking into account my likes and he didn't steer me wrong all night. My friends had wine and the pours were generous. We had a ball...great service, great cocktails/wine and good atmosphere. I love a good, engaging bartender and will definitely be back for another visit.

• Visited February 2012
Smyrna, Georgia
“Cool restaurant with a few surprises! Just go already.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My wife and I went to Asheville a few weeks ago and hooked up with the "Eating Asheville" tour with Josh and Stephen....fortunately Zambra was the last stop of the tour and left us wanting more! We booked a table at the bar and actually saw most of our tour group in the crowd that night. This place is busy so be sure to call or book online early for reservations. Josh worked the bar that night and made an Absinthe Drip that is both visually quirky to make and even better to drink! I left the small plates up to him since he knows his restaurant better than I, so he picked 3 incredible dishes. If memory serves, I believe I had the duck confit, a seared scallop plate, and a lamb dish that was delicious! This place has great live music on weekends, cool ambiance, and doesn't take itself too seriously...we HIGHLY recommend Zambra and ask for Josh if you dare. Thanks for a great night guys!

• Visited February 2012
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“romantic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

This place is on my wish list for my birthday or any special occasion. The environment is so romantic, the tapas are ALL exceptional, the bar is WOW.

Weaverville, North Carolina, United States
“If you love tapas this is your kind of place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

make reservations, it's always busy. The variety is wonderful and it's a change from a standard restaurant meal. Everything comes out as it is ready so it's a steady stream of good food. Lots of opportunity for variety.

• Visited August 2011