“Old out-dated Crowne Plaza”

Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville
Ranked #43 of 66 Hotels in Asheville
Atlanta, Georgia
“Old out-dated Crowne Plaza”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

This was probably one of the worst Crowne Plaza's I've stayed at. It was still nice, but it was very dated and felt like an old hotel. Although, the location is great! I would stay again, I just wish they would put some money into updating the rooms. We were in an Executive room and it sure didn't feel like one.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
I am very sorry that you had an unfavorable experience at our resort recently, and I wanted to tell you a bit about the continuing updates we have planned for the property. In the past year we have opened an 8,000 square foot fitness complex, full service spa, zip line course, new wireless internet system, new hallway lighting, and have recently completed new carpeting in our lobby, banquet rooms, and meeting spaces. In the coming months as part of Crowne Plaza's freshen up program, we have all new bedding in our guest rooms and we will soon be extending the new carpeting into the guest hallways/rooms. Though we are an older hotel that was originally a Hilton, we have done some amazing upgrades and the owner has many plans for the future including an indoor ice skating rink. We hope you can come back and give us another try in the future. Thanks!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

This is the second time we have stayed here. Both times were nice. It isn't a 5 star hotel, but still nice. We like the location plus the rooms are nice.

We didn't try any of the resort facilities as we just needed a hotel. But the hotel is relaxing, clean, and quiet.

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 1 June 2012
Thank you so much for posting your feedback for us, and I am very glad that you are one of our valued repeat guests. Though we strive to have the service/staff of a 5 star hotel, we are listed as a 3.5 star hotel on most sites. We appreciate your return business, and hope to see you again soon.
San Diego
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We were greeted at the front desk by Ian. He was very personable and gave us a better room than what a booking on the internet provides. We were on the 3rd floor with views of downtown Asheville. The room was large and very comfortable. The hotel is beautiful and is located in a area just out of walking distance of downtown Asheville.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Ian is an outstanding Front Desk agent and I am so glad that he was so pleasant during your check-in process. Though we are just out of walking distance from downtown Asheville, we do operate a $5/person roundtrip shuttle to/from downtown 24 hours a day. Next time you are in town, hop on the shuttle and we'll be glad to take care of you!
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Great hotel. Easy access and clean room. Great beds. Great location. Everyone is friendly and knowledgable about downtown items.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for you outstanding review. You have highlighted many of our best features, and we strive for all of our guests to have the same kind of experience. Come back soon!
Atlanta
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I used Priceline requesting a hotel in Central Asheville and got the Crowne Plaza. The location was not really what I was looking for. I was hoping for hotel in walking distance to downtown, but it turned out to be okay. It was only a short 5 minute drive to downtown and the front desk arranged for a cab for us on Sat night and it cost about $10, with tip one way for 2 people.

After I reserved the hotel with Priceline, I called the hotel directly to request a room with a king bed and a view and NOT of the parking lot. They honored our request and we were on the 5th floor with a view of the zip line. Highly recommend to call and request a room on a higher floor and not facing parking lot. The hotel is older but it was clean and I think they have done a great job in what they have to work with.

The room was spacious with 1 king size bed and love seat. Yes, the bathrooms are small and wish they had a vanity outside the bathroom for a hair/make-up station. They did have a nice floor length mirror with a bench under it which would have been fine to do make-up at, except there was no lighting so that was not an option.

The only real pet peeve I had was the shower did not drain properly, that was annoying.

There is an issue with noise, you can walk down the hall and hear people talking in their rooms, mind you not loud talking just normal volume. It looks like they designated our floor as a quite floor so we didn't hear any kids or any big groups making a lot of noise, so it really wasn't an issue.

We had the breakfast buffet on Sunday. Think it was about $10.99 (or something right around there) for hot breakfast buffet and $5.99 for cold breakfast. We got the hot breakfast which came with make your own omelet (limited topping, Spinach, ham, cheese, Onion, mushrooms and peppers) and made to order waffles. For the price it was just so so.

They do have golf, tons of tennis courts, zip line and indoor pool with fitness center that is not attached but a short drive or walk from the main hotel. We did not use any of these facilities though. I did try to call the spa they say is on the facility. I left message 2 times with no return call. Guess the spa didnt want our buisness. Not sure if they are connected with the hotel or independent but that was not good service.

Honestly, when I go someplace new I don’t expect to spend my time in the hotel. I want to be out exploring the area. So all in all the hotel was appropriate and comfortable for what we were looking for.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to submit your feedback. It seems as if you had a pleasant experience at our property overall and I hope you can come back to visit another time. I apologize for your issues with hallway noise as well as your slow draining shower, and I will have our engineering department resesolve the drain problem right away. I am also very sorry that you problems getting in contact with our new Spa. I believe they had just reopened during your stay under new management and they were in the process of replacing their phone/computer system. This is absolutly no excuse, and I will relay this feedback to the Spa Director. Again, I appreciate both your positive and constructive feedback and thank you for posting your comments.
Allentown, PA
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We paid $87.66 including taxes (Priceline) for a Sunday evening.

My husband and I arrived around nine p.m. The gentleman at the front desk told us that it was the calm after the storm. Due to two proms and a wedding, they had been at full occupancy the previous evening. On Sunday night they were down to only thirty-five guests. Check-in was handled quickly and efficiently.

Although the beds and the shower were fine, half of the electrical outlets in the room did not work. I discovered that the outlet for the coffee maker did not work only after I had filled the coffee maker. The hairdryer was attached to the bathroom wall and kept overheating and turning itself off.

Around eight o'clock the next morning, we heard the sounds of power tools from the room next door. Perhaps they were working on the electrical repair. I could not help wondering, with such low occupancy, why were we put in a room next door to repair work?

I would have stopped at the front desk as we were leaving and told them about the electrical issues in the room. Unfortunately, the front desk was unattended.

Our night at the Crown Plaza made me really appreciate the next three nights spent at the Inn on Biltmore Estate.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Bryan B, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Resort Asheville, responded to this review, 13 May 2012
I am very sorry that you had such problems during your one night with us no matter how slow or busy we were. I can't explain the cause of the maintenance noise you encountered because I'm not sure which room you were in, but we have had no scheduled maintenance in our sleeping room areas for the past several weeks, so I can only assume that they were handling an problem that had been brought to our attention by another guest. I sincerely apologize for the noise as well as the problems with the electrical outlets, because we could have taken care of both issues with a simple call to the front desk. The part of your review that mentions that the front desk was left unattended is of great concern to me as the front desk manager. We ensure that at least one person is on the desk 24 hours a day, and I assure you that the person on duty was either just behind the desk baking fresh cookies, or filing paper work just out of sight. Our staff always acts in the most professional manner to take care of guests if they have had problems during their visit, and I am sorry you were unable to explain your situation. Thank you very much for your feedback.
Macon, Georgia
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Overall, we would return here but there is much room for improvement.

Our reservation was handled with terrific professionalism and promised special arangements to cope with my wife's allergies. That promise was kept and we are grateful.

Our arrival was somewhat spoilt by a contractor sealing the asphalt in the parking lot leaving a petrochemical stench that endured for the duration of our stay but fortunately not pervading the restaurants or rooms.

Check in was efficient and helpful. The hotel has pre printed directions to all attractions and that is much appreciated. The front desk also provided complimentary bottled water upon demand.

The hotel layout is weird leading to long traipses to the rooms but our room was splendid, very large with two double beds, a balcony overlooking the zip lines and a mini fridge. BUT the bathroom was pint sized by comparison and one would be hard pressed should more than two persons occupy the room. We found that sound proofing was not so good so we could hear our neighbours TV.

On our first morning, we enjoyed breakfasts ordered from the menu skipping the buffet. We had a superb server (Robyn) and everything was just excellent. On the second morning, the service was indifferent and the meal below par.

Regrettaby, we canot recall the name of the concierge but we have to say, our enjoyment of the Biltmore Estate was greatly enhanced by the tips she gave us. Just as well because it is hard to imagine regarding this hotel as a resort.

Promotional materials tend to give the impression tha this is truly a resort with two outdoor pools, one indoor pool, a comprehensive health club, zip lines etc etc. In actuality, the outdoor pools had not yet opened despite temperatures near 90 degrees. To use the indoor pool, one had to take a shuttle to a seperate building on the campus and use a cramped changing room. This also housed the health club abd gift shop but it was all under renovation. It is not part of the hotel but has the same owner. One of the shuttle buses we used was very scruffy.

All in all, we would return and the location is not bad, just a five minute drive to downtown and 10 to 15 minutes to Biltmore. But management needs to get a grip and shake the whole thing by the scruff of the neck to realize it's full potential.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for submitting this review, and I am very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. You brought to light some of our best features such as our staff, guest rooms, and multitude of recreational opportunities we have to offer. I also appreciate your constructive criticism, as it will only help us to improve and enhance our property for guest enjoyment. There are so many possibililties with a 125 acre property and we are constantly trying to provide great amenities to compliment our outstanding staff.