“Money grabbers”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Katuah Market
Reviewed January 20, 2015

It is obvious the employees are doing the ratings. Prices are enormous on the hot buffet and bakery. I bought a cup of coffee and the cashier put my change directly into the tip jar. I made her take it out. She blamed it on a co worker telling her to put the change in the tip jar.
These are street people hustling in a workplace environment.

1  Thank Jean M

Reviewed December 14, 2014

I hate to do this but watch:
1. Katuah's began with a soft opening without any sign showing where it was. They needed to start bringing in business but they lost some amount due to this and other factors.
2. While other locations I'm sure were examined, they are in a lousy one. Between timing my drive to get there when the trains won't hold me up and the danger of going south from the main entrance, I now waste more gas and go out a safer way. The sign is at least up and has been for a while.
-- Bureaucracy maybe caused some of Katuah's problems but WholeFoods on Tunnel came out of a new store and they were (I really dislike them and hate to say this) prepared.
3. Katuah's had a hard opening later. But this connotes they're ready to open. They were not. As a store marketed as organic by the gentleman who owned a large share of GreenLife (not Whole Foods), we expected it to be better organized.
-- The inside was beautifully designed but if they can't be successful at their goal (to sell food), this becomes useless.
4. Katuah's is changing again. It's natural to adjust a business to pull more customers in. Last night I was asked what do I like about Katuah's (not including the bakery) by a friend. My answer was the labeling of the food to go. It's not enough to keep me there.
-- The meat dept. has folded and they're now putting meats in packages. It's not how we purchase meats, though. We like the butcher concept where we can talk to someone who knows what they're selling. So, we have local farms and other local stores that carry local products.

Katuah's may make a few cents from me on occasion when I happen to be in the area and I just don't go there much and will go less. But they appear to be en route out. It makes sense to establish a new identity but to what? We (spouse and I) can't afford to give them another chance as we faithfully did when they first opened. It was a great concept but appears that for our needs, it has just never worked well. We'll follow them (I hate to see the employees go but the faces are changing there) and hope for a sound turnaround. Other markets with these issues would've gotten a one rating but Katuah's isn't gone and I hope they turn into something worth going to.

The best laid plans ... where did these go?

1  Thank sbirn100
Reviewed December 8, 2014 via mobile

The only way a business can improve is if you give them feedback,so here is mine...As a Manager of a busy nearby hotel I have always had the luxury of having Katuah Market between work and home, so last night when I was craving a Pittsburgh Rare Filet I hurrried over for what I thought would be a beautiful selection in Katuahs butcher shop...To my dissapointment there were only 3 small filets that looked somewhat odd..Old I thought??..After asking the young man behind the counter if these were were fresh he replied, "yes", so with that I had him wrap up the best one he could find....Well, after seasoning this small filet and letting it sit to room temp. To assure proper heating I finally put it in the oven to broil while I sauted my asparagus...Minutes later I had the finished product, a firm, bloated, almost hard piece of meat...Terrible, not even bad but terrible...The flavor was off, the consistency was off and most of all it didn't char lime a quality filet should and has always done in the past...If you aren't going to sell the best then don't charge for the best...I could have done better at Ingles and that is a frightening thought...Annoyed that I am sending hotel guests to this Market every day and telling them it's great local quality when in fact it's a disappointment...

2  Thank rabsales
Reviewed November 1, 2014

This store is new to town so alot of people dont know about it.
The French Broad Co-op is hard to beat or compare with because its a co-op.
however Katua has more selection. They have real food. They have more than groceries as well.
They have a deli, great selection at a hot food bar, pastries and coffee.
They also have free classes at times. Free wifi. nice bathrooms. hands down the best grocery store in Asheville. Besides the Co-op. All the other "health" food stores in Asheville Trader joes, whole foods, green life, are all wolves in sheeps clothing. We are happy we found Katuah.

1  Thank matt k