“Good Place, Good Food, & Nice Hosts”
Review of Aberdeen Inn

Aberdeen Inn
Ranked #29 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Dayton, Ohio
“Good Place, Good Food, & Nice Hosts”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Stayed at the Inn on a Sunday and Monday in November, 2011. We were the only guests, so the Inn was ours. Our room was comfy and we used the fireplace at night. The food was good, sweet potato fritata and gingerbread waffles. It is close to downtown and not far from the Biltmore Estate. The hosts were friendly and offered great suggestions for dinner.

Room Tip: Our room was the Mt. Laurel and had doors that opened to the second floor deck.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Davidson, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Our experience was like none we've ever had. If I wanted to get into trouble with a stern parent, I would go visit my father, not pay money and stay at the Aberdeen. We were asked at breakfast, "what did I tell you about the sliding back door" when we inadverdently used the front door. Then I was tsk'd when I didn't eat the sausage. "No one mentioned we had vegetarians in the group". I'm not a vegetarian, and it's no one's business what I eat or don't eat. The next morning we were told we were only getting half portions of what is normally served because we didn't eat everything on our plates the day before. We were treated like errant children. This 59 year old woman is still in shock at having to still clean her plate at the Aberdeen Inn.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank Linda L
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 12 November 2011

The Aberdeen Inn looked great on the website. when I called for reservations, I talked to Tom, the owner, who was grumpy and rude. He told me we'd need to pay an extra $10 if we used the second bed in the cottage, that it cost money to make it up. I had never heard of such a thing and should've hung up then. We had to tell him exactly when we would check in, so our whole day had to be planned around his convenience. when we checked in, he went on and on about the inn, things we did not need to know, like which outside lights were on remote. We tried to slip away, but he barked at us, "I'm not done!" and kept us captive another ten minutes. When we went to the wrong door for breakfast, we were reprimanded. He fancies himself a chef and goes around all day in a chef's outfit, and has dozens of chef ornaments and dolls all around. The final straw came when he laid his meaty hand on my back. I moved away, but he was latched on. I told him not to touch me, he ignored me, so I said it more forcefully. He kept coming to our table to try to converse, even though we were giving him a chilly reception. When we checked out, he asked us for extra money to tip the college kids who work for him. I have never been asked for a tip by an innkeeper! The place was a dump, clutter lying all around the yard -- empty plastic pots tipped over on their side, just junk everywhere. Seedy neighborhood, dirty inn. It makes me wonder about all the rave reviews on his website -- I think he probably wrote them.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank PattiB975
Texas
Reviewed 29 September 2011

excellent gourmet breakfast - also complimentary beer and wine in the evening. very nice facility and location - cute. would definitely stay here again. thanks tom for letting us change our check-in date.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Sneads Ferry, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Bev and Rich Z. Sneads Ferry, NC - We spent two wonderful nights at the Aberdeen Inn. The Inn is Charming, and we felt very much at home. The room was very comfortable and very clean. We enjoyed a glass of wine before going out to dinner, which Tom offers his guests any time of day. The breakfasts were outstanding. Tom is a master chef and his meal preparation and presentation were fabulous. We hope to return to Asheville and the Aberdeen Inn. We would not choose any other place in Asheville to stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 25 August 2011

My family spent four days at the Aberdeen Inn in mid August and found it to be very relaxing and with lots of charm. My mother and I spent afternoons reading and enjoying the cool breezes on the porch while others in the family enjoyed the more adventuresome aspects of Asheville. Tom and Michele are wonderful hosts and the breakfasts are amazing! Thanks for making our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
New Albany, Indiana
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I have cumulatively stayed at the Aberdeen for 28 nights over the past 3 years. I travel all over the country and stay in hotels all the time and can say with authority that there's nothing like staying with Tom and Michele. They and their staff take such good care of their guests, it's better than being home. Bring your appetite to breakfast because it's always delicious and well-prepared. The Inn is a little off the beaten path, but it's still an easy walk to downtown and the neighborhood is friendly, quiet and full of character. The grounds are so beautiful, we got married there last weekend. No kidding! The day afterward was spent reading and napping on the big breezy front porch.

Room Tip: The Mt. Laurel has the biggest bathroom, the Rose is the biggest room overall. All the rooms are gr...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family