“great place to stay in Asheville”

The Lion and The Rose Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 38 Asheville B&B and Inns
rochester, NY
“great place to stay in Asheville”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Beautiful B & B that is welcoming but not intrusive. We had 2 rooms: The Fanny Rice & margaret Grace. Both nice, but I'd spend the bit more and get the Fanny Rice if just one. Beautiful poster bed, quiet, you can hear the fountain in the garden and 2 nice easy chairs. Very comfortable. The breakfast Jim cooks is unbelievable. No choices, but we had great fruit, a yummy crepe and all in an elegant setting. You are at one table with who ever is in the house and breakfast is at a certain time/window of time. They let you know. Easy distance to Biltmore which was amazing. Also loved the restaurant just down the block

Room Tip: Fanny Rice is great
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Bloomfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I've always been skeptical of reviews full of over-the-top raves and exclamations (one is too many for me), but as the title suggests, I may have joined the fray of frothy reviewers (!), but I will attempt to be objective.

No doubt my impressions were affected by my love of Asheville and my now-stronger desire to retire there. My wife, who has never been to this part of NC, knows of my ardor, and our wonderful experience at The L and the R helped create a new Asheville devotee.

Linda and Jim Palmer (he not of Baltimore Orioles or underwear-commercial fame) sweat the details effortlessly, which means they put thought and effort into every part of their B&B. The breakfast table is always set for the right number of guests with china, glassware and linens. No, it is not intimidating, simply inviting and comfortable -- Jim and Linda create that atmosphere. In my book it is also elegant; I'd never have breakfast at home in that fashion, but experiencing it on vacation is a treat. If not then, when? Same for that which you eat. I'll add my kudos to others who've described the breakfasts as unsurpassed. My only regret is that we were eating so well and abundantly at dinner, hunger had not returned by the morning for me to finish every breakfast. I'm salivating as I write. Lunch was a meal we gladly missed every day.

I wouldn't mind if information pamphlets were laid-out on a table. Jim and Linda store them in an armoir. Nice touch. Raining? They leave umbrellas by the front door. Thoughtful. Need to use a computer and print from it? It's there. Hungry between meals? Snacks and drinks a-plenty are available in the butler's pantry. (Maybe that was the reason we didn't have lunch?) Want an after-dinner sherry or port? Yes, it's always there. Information on anything in the area was always provided with cheer and charm by Jim and Linda.

And the immaculate gardens? Don't get me started.

You couldn't pay me enough to run a B&B -- the Palmers appear to enjoy it. Amazing.

I said I would be objective, here's my one criticism: in your room is a cup of Hershey's chunk chocolates which is refilled everyday. One day I emptied it by 9:00PM. I could say I wanted more and only for the sake of a critique I'll say I did. I'm certain the Palmers would have told me where the stash is if I wanted more, but how embarrassing would that be? How dare they put out an abundance of chocolate to feed my addiction? Some criticism...

Jim and Linda could/should write the definitive book on creating and managing a B&B since, for us, they've created the gold standard.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

Fantastic B&B. Jim and Linda made me feel so welcomed and safe. The breakfasts are absolutely scrumptious and I skipped lunch the whole time during my stay. I also had amazing dinners at Cucina 24, Bouchon, Tupelo Honey Cafe, and Limiones. I can't wait to come back to this foodie town some day!!!! There is no better place to stay when in Asheville :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We are experienced Bed & Breakfast travelers and most appreciate attention to detail and friendly, knowledgeable inn keepers. Jim and Linda do an outstanding job with the details and with making you comfortable. They are extremely knowledgeable on the area and they know how to care for your needs. Coffee & Tea at your door in the morning and then a wonderful treat awaits at the breakfast table...wow! Hope to be back soon!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Big Canoe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Jim and Linda have established a wonderful bed and breakfast with all the details having been taken into consideration. Jim is the cook with his excellent and creative breakfast dishes each morning. Whether it's information on the area, chocolats in your room, drinks and snacks during the day, or sherry at night; everything has been thought of, making the stay a delight. We highly recommend a stay there. We'll be going back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Chapel Hill
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Just imagine being awakened in a lovely, comfortable bed by the smell of interesting herbs rising from the kitchen - on your bedside table there are fresh flowers and a small bowl of chocolates. There is a soft sound as someone leaves a tray with coffee in front of your door. Downstairs in the dining room the table is decorated beautifully with antique china, crystal, lace, and fresh roses. At each of the places there is a bowl of fresh fruit for your start to breakfast. Linda comes in and asks what you would like to drink with your breakfast. After a while she returns with a plate of freshly baked, sliced apples, fresh bacon, crisp Belgian waffles, whipped cream, and a pitcher of home made pomegranate syrup. This is the type of daily start you can expect at this wonderful B&B. We stayed at The Lion and the Rose at the end of March when the beautiful garden was full of blooms and you could leave the windows open all day and night. The breakfasts were different on both days, each time superbly created by Jim. When we came back in the afternoons we found sherry, coffee, tea, soft drinks, small cakes, fruit, and nuts waiting for us in the pantry. Later when we came back after dinner, we could sort through a large DVD collection to find a movie to see in our room. This B&B has wireless free internet service which worked every time. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Lion and the Rose from the first moment to the last and I am already planning a return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EBrinich
Bristol, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We have stayed at 10 B&B's in Asheville and this ranks at the top. Jim and Linda are gracious hosts and our four day stay was very enjoyable. Beautiful home, great food, close to town and quiet. We look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family