“Last resort” 2 of 5 bubbles

Mountaineer Inn
Ranked #33 of 38 Asheville B&B and Inns
“Last resort”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

My husband and I came to Asheville for a weekend getaway with friends. We waited until the last minute to book a hotel, and the mountaineer inn was one of the only places left. We did not expect much, since we paid $45 for our room, which was a good thing... It was pretty bad! Very old rooms, spiders throughout the room, wood paneled walls, dark, dingy. We actually went to the local wal-mart and purchased a bedding set for $20, to feel more comfortable about what we were sleeping on! Our friends booked a room for $65 and stayed in the back building, their room was much better than ours (which was in the original front building right off the road.) my suggestion is to only book this as a last resort or if you are on a very tight budget. And even then, request the newer rooms in the second building. Overall, I would not stay here again and would not recommend this!

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Jen1619

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Snow Camp, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

This was BY FAR the most disgusting place I have ever had to lay my head. Everything in Asheville was booked and this was the only place we could find that had rooms to rent. The smell was horrid. I had to open the window just to stomach it. In the middle of the night I awoke freezing. Only 1 light in the room was working so I stumbled in the dark to find a wall switch that simply said, Heat/Air On/Off. I flipped the switch and heard something blowing air. Put my hand against the vent and felt nothing. The sound was coming from the closet...THE AIR CONDITIONER WAS IN THE CLOSET in a rudely cut hole! I quickly realized I had NO control over the room temperature. The television was a 1980's Zenith that you had to get up to change the few channels it had. The bathroom had a window with a hole in it and was covered in dead AND live bugs. The walls were dark and stained and had several large holes. The room had a lime green plastic chair that had probably not been cleaned since the Bicentennial and was splitting at its seams. I rented 2 rooms, each room was equally horrible. I made several calls to the desk with questions and complaints and the elderly woman staffing it literally did NOT understand my complaints. I gave up and got out as early as possible.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank SPfeiffer_7777
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

I really enjoy staying in the old room. This hotel fits in with Asheville's vibe. Very comfortable rooms and beds. They have the best rates in town and is close to everything. Your money stays with a local business no a corporation. They are biker friendly.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Julian B
Augusta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

Ok people, if you want the Marriott then pony up and pay for it. I rate the Mountaneer highly considering reasonable expectations and cost. Was the room perfect? No. Was the room very acceptable? Yes. I have stayed in the upper newer rooms and the lower older rooms. I actually enjoyed the lower rooms for convenience to the pool and lobby. Room was clean, TV old, but had cable. If you enjoy nastalga and are a little adventuresome you'll enjoy staying here. Inn keeper/owner is fascinating to talk with.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
High Point, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

The guy up front seemed nice enough but the room smelled like a dead body. I mean really really really smelled like a dead body. It was so bad I washed our clothes 4 times and the smell was still in them I am not exagerating. This was the worst experience of our lives this old 60's hotel should not be allow to operate it is that deplorable. I ended up throwing away the clothes and the suitcase because the dead body oily smell wouldn't come out. I've had nightmares of this place. Now all we have to do to get the kids to behave is tell them that were going to send them to the mountaineer and they will do anything to not have to go.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank mistybluehour
Cambridge
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

We were visiting the area on Friday, August 5, 2011 and needed a room at the last minute. The first couple of hotels we contacted were charging a rate of $200/night or were booked. I found the Mountaineer on Yelp and the review wasn't horrible so we checked it out. From the outside it wasn't great and we asked to see the room for cleanliness, it was acceptable ...not great. We accepted it last minute but they gave us a different room that was very dirty and had an unidentifiable smell. We went straight to the front desk and requested a refund and went on down the road.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Doreen J
Knoxville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2011

We were here for the festival, and althought the room did stop in 1965, we slept well in our room. I took an early dip in the pool and thought that a warm shower would be great. Well, one small problem...no hot water in room 165. We still made it a good stay. Now my daughter and son-in-law had a different expereince. in room 166, they had blood on the mattress, a fight with a spider as big as the one from Will Smith's Wild Wild West movie, but the good thing was that they were out of the room early.LOL
Have a good strong drink and it will be good.

Room Tip: try to stay in the front units
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family