“Last resort”

The Mountaineer Inn
Ranked #34 of 39 Asheville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 November 2011

My husband and I came to Asheville for a weekend getaway with friends. We waited until the last minute to book a hotel, and the mountaineer inn was one of the only places left. We did not expect much, since we paid $45 for our room, which was a good thing... It was pretty bad! Very old rooms, spiders throughout the room, wood paneled walls, dark, dingy. We actually went to the local wal-mart and purchased a bedding set for $20, to feel more comfortable about what we were sleeping on! Our friends booked a room for $65 and stayed in the back building, their room was much better than ours (which was in the original front building right off the road.) my suggestion is to only book this as a last resort or if you are on a very tight budget. And even then, request the newer rooms in the second building. Overall, I would not stay here again and would not recommend this!

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Jen1619

Reviewed 16 September 2011

I really enjoy staying in the old room. This hotel fits in with Asheville's vibe. Very comfortable rooms and beds. They have the best rates in town and is close to everything. Your money stays with a local business no a corporation. They are biker friendly.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Julian B
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Ok people, if you want the Marriott then pony up and pay for it. I rate the Mountaneer highly considering reasonable expectations and cost. Was the room perfect? No. Was the room very acceptable? Yes. I have stayed in the upper newer rooms and the lower older rooms. I actually enjoyed the lower rooms for convenience to the pool and lobby. Room was clean, TV old, but had cable. If you enjoy nastalga and are a little adventuresome you'll enjoy staying here. Inn keeper/owner is fascinating to talk with.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2011

The guy up front seemed nice enough but the room smelled like a dead body. I mean really really really smelled like a dead body. It was so bad I washed our clothes 4 times and the smell was still in them I am not exagerating. This was the worst experience of our lives this old 60's hotel should not be allow to operate it is that deplorable. I ended up throwing away the clothes and the suitcase because the dead body oily smell wouldn't come out. I've had nightmares of this place. Now all we have to do to get the kids to behave is tell them that were going to send them to the mountaineer and they will do anything to not have to go.

4  Thank mistybluehour
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We were visiting the area on Friday, August 5, 2011 and needed a room at the last minute. The first couple of hotels we contacted were charging a rate of $200/night or were booked. I found the Mountaineer on Yelp and the review wasn't horrible so we checked it out. From the outside it wasn't great and we asked to see the room for cleanliness, it was acceptable ...not great. We accepted it last minute but they gave us a different room that was very dirty and had an unidentifiable smell. We went straight to the front desk and requested a refund and went on down the road.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doreen J
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We were here for the festival, and althought the room did stop in 1965, we slept well in our room. I took an early dip in the pool and thought that a warm shower would be great. Well, one small problem...no hot water in room 165. We still made it a good stay. Now my daughter and son-in-law had a different expereince. in room 166, they had blood on the mattress, a fight with a spider as big as the one from Will Smith's Wild Wild West movie, but the good thing was that they were out of the room early.LOL
Have a good strong drink and it will be good.

Room Tip: try to stay in the front units
1  Thank johnnydurango
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We stayed at this motel while gem mining at nearby towns, and by far this was the best motel/hotel stay I've had in years. The people working the desk were amazingly attenitive to anything we needed or questions we had about places to eat or things to see. They didn't just care about getting you a room, they were interested in how the drive in was and what brought us to their town. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance from the motel. The rooms were very clean and big. We stayed in the 'double bay' rooms which are located behind the building of regular rooms. The rooms were bigger (with 2queens)than normal hotel sized rooms. This area was very quiet and when we were sitting on the lounge chairs outside our room we could barely hear the traffic from the road out front. They don't have fancy new furniture or flat screen tv's, but who goes on vacation to sit in the hotel rooms anyway. We traveled with 4 adults and 2 kids (realistically 1 adult and 5 kids). If you are traveling with kids, I highly recommend this place. There's a huge kidney shaped pool with an extra 2ft area for the little ones and a very large 8-9ft deep area for all the cannonballs your group can handle. And, the pool is open 24hrs! Nothing like a little midnight swim in the hot summer weather to make the vacation perfect. This was my first time at the Mountaineer Inn (suggested by me from a friend who stayed their twice in the past), and I will most definitely book a room here in the future when in Asheville.

Room Tip: There are double bay rooms, which had 2 queens and just some extra space around the beds for all you...