“Great for budget travelers”
Review of 40 Berkeley

40 Berkeley
Ranked #11 of 25 Speciality Lodging in Boston
Patchogue, New York
“Great for budget travelers”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

The staff really makes this place. Everyone I dealt with was super friendly and helpful - they had some good discounts on touristy stuff to do that I took advantage of. Great location, you can literally walk to any major tourist spot in Boston, or easily access public transportation, which on my two day visit was quite good. The buffet breakfast is good, certainly not gourmet, but for the choices and amount offered I can't complain. The building is a little noisy. From my room on the 7th floor, I could hear water running through pipes, the elevator, and people on the street even with the window shut, but I did have an awesome view of the Boston skyline. That being said, if you just need a place to sleep and get breakfast (included) then this place is perfect. I definitely recommend staying here if you want to stay in the city but can't afford a hotel.

1 Thank Meghan B
40Berkeley, Director of Events and Media at 40 Berkeley, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Hi Meghan,

Thanks so much for the review! I always love hearing from guests that enjoyed their stay with us. Since we're located in the heart of the city, it's inevitable that some street noise will make its way into our building and rooms, though we are always happy to switch you to a room that faces a quieter street if one is available! Our front desk staff are available 24/7 to accommodate any requests you may have - especially ones like those!

Thanks again for taking the time to post your comments. I'm so glad you had a positive experience, and can't wait to see you again soon!

Best,
Director of Events and Media

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I stayed at 40 Berkeley for 2 nights in a Standard full room with my sister in March 2012.
The things we didn't like about the hostel were: unfriendly staff, bugs and flies in our cornflakes in the morning, bad smell in the rooms and the breakfast room, dirty floor in our room, toilet flushes didn't work properly, dirty showers, heater is very noisy in the night so that we couldn't sleep, not enough showers for all the guests on our floor (long waiting time), heater was always on so our room was unbelievable hot (no way to turn it off), windows couldn't be opened in our room, bed for two people was very small, electric outlets in our room were broken.
The thing we liked about it: elevator to the rooms, good location of the hostel (you can easily walk to Boston downtown).

40Berkeley, at 40 Berkeley, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Hello Anna,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback about your stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that your experience was anything less than 100% satisfactory. Regarding the pictures on our site, we are currently in the process of updating all of our rooms, as mentioned in the room descriptions. We make sure to provide pictures of both the new rooms and the rooms that have yet to be renovated, as both are available for guests to stay in at this time.

At 40 Berkeley, we pride ourselves in having the friendliest, most welcoming staff in town. It's upsetting to hear that this was not your experience, and I can assure you that I will be addressing this concern in this week's staff meeting.

I would also very much like to personally address some of the issues you stated regarding your room. We have a running list of rooms in need of renovation, and it sounds like we need to move that room closer to the top of the list. Could you please email me at bschecker@maloneyproperties.com and let me know what room you stayed in? I also want to make sure you know that if, at any point during your stay, you are not satisfied with your room, we are more than happy to move you to a new one free of charge. All you need to do is notify our front desk staff.

Regarding your additional concerns, were you able to address any issues with the front desk? If your room is ever in need of housekeeping service or repairs, we are happy to send someone to tend to it at a moment's notice. In addition, I can assure you that the outlets in all the rooms have been tested recently; you just need to make sure the switch on the wall is turned on. Each room also has a knob on the radiator in order to control the amount of hot air being released into the room.

I do hope you are willing to stay with us again and give us a second chance on your next visit to Boston. If there are ever any issues with your stay, our front desk staff is always willing to lend a helping hand. If there's anything else I can do from my end to further assist you, please don't hesitate to contact me at the email address above.

Thank you again for taking the time to post your comments. I wish you safe and happy travels in the future!

Best,
Director of Events and Media

Travellers are raving about these Boston hotels

Middlebury, Vermont
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Very good price, location, room, huge breakfast and super nice staff.
However, we thought it was a bit noisy and we wish curtains were more blackout.
I would recommend it for sure.

Room Tip: Room far from the road may be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Hi Pauline,

Thanks for posting your feedback for 40 Berkeley! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were able to take advantage of some of the many amenities we offer.

I can honestly say that I've slept in some of the rooms, and I agree with you that the curtains could block out the light a bit better. All of our rooms do have blinds though, and they work great for blocking out that early morning sunlight. I definitely recommend trying them out on your next visit if you're like me and like to sleep in a bit!

Thanks again for leaving a review. I hope to see you again soon!

Happy Travels,
Paris, France
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The service is good; people at the counter are nice.
Unfortunately it seems very difficult to get a room with bathroom (but they provide very cheap flip-flops).
The room is very simple but the bed is big (for eu standards) and confy.
Breakfast is very well organized with a variety of choices regarding food, from bacon&eggs to self-made waffles to fresh fruits.
The area is nice (restaurants) and Back Bay station is close.
Wifi is working a bit too slowly.
Definitely recommended.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 31 March 2012

A great budget option to stay in Boston, very conveniently located. The rooms are small and basic, not even a sink (although a triple room in which our friends stayed had a tiny fridge), but each has a large closet, which helps to avoid the mess. Only two showers per floor - it's better to wake up at 6:50 and run there before everyone's alarms went off at 7. Still, the line was never too big. We were lucky to get a room on the 7th floor with a great view. The place has a lot of charm - like those phone booths for long-distance calls on almost every floor. They have a nice lounge are, and a work area with computers and priters (you need to swipe your bank card and pay per minute). That was immensely helpful to me, as I was in Boston for a conference and needed to do some work. It seems that academic visitors are a significant part of this hotel's clientele. Its charm is casual, not overhyped like in some youth hostels. Amenities are basic, but everything is taken care of. The staff are always to willing to help, there is a calendar of local events at the lobby, they use tags in the luggage room (you don't just drop off your luggage at your own risk, as you have to do in most hostels). The breakfast is huge - from cereal and toasts to omelette and sausages and and many other tings. You can also make your own waffles using the waffle mix and one of theose waffle pans in the breakfast room. They generously provide apples, oranges and bananas that you can take with you. One strange thing was that they only had one key for our double room, so we had to coordinate the time we returned back (if I had to go back late at night when my roommate was sleeping, it was a bit of a problem - I had to pick up an extra key from the lobby, sign into their record book and return the key as soon as possible). We did hate the showers in the morning - they were not very convenient (although water was hot and the pressure was good; soap is not provided - bring your own or ask for samples at the front desk), but we loved it for the rest of the day. These inconveniences are minors for those who travel for a few days or a week, and I definitely recommend this place to anyone who travels to Bostpn.

Room Tip: Our room with a view was 732 - othe numbers on the same side were 628 - 736 (roughly - there may hav...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This Hostel is in a good location near Boylston avenue and other amenities. The front desk is very helpful and friendly. We enjoyed our stay. The rooms have enough space and the bathrooms are pretty clean. Overall great stay for a few days.

Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Good for what you pay. I recommend this to anyone who would like to visit Boston.

Room Tip: Avoid choosing a room near the road...I was unable to sleep till midnight because of the vehicles mo...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo