“Nice spot, will stay again despite renovation work.”

The Langham, Boston
Ranked #18 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Abilene, TX
“Nice spot, will stay again despite renovation work.”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

Convenient location. Professional, friendly staff. Absolutely great turn-down service (blinds closed, trash emptied, bed cover removed, ice in the ice-bucket, chocolate on pillow). You're going to pay a lot to stay downtown, might as well pay a little more and stay here. Room is clean, hallways need some attention. I travel a lot on business. I've stayed here before and will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MangaMan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Reviewed 6 March 2012

I stayed at the Langham Boston in December. I had a huge, corner room overlooking Post Office Square. I was only there for one night, but cannot wait to go back! The food at BOND was excellent, service excellent - a great hotel in a great location!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Fox Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The beds in this hotel were incredibly hard and uncomfortable. I asked to be switched rooms and the beds in the second room were no better. I ended up pulling the comforter off the second bed to try to create some cushion. I told this to the clerk at check-out, who informed me that they could have put a foam insert in to make it softer. I told him that this would have been nice to know when I complained to him the first time and asked for a different room. My memory of this hotel will be four days of back pain. Also, even by hotel standards, the towels were the consistency of 60-grit sandpaper. Excellent for stripping paint off wood, not so great on the skin. The hotel looks beautiful but does not have the comfort you would expect from a Marriott Courtyard.

1 Thank claygr
tlbos, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Dear Claygr,

I wish to acknowledge and thank you for your comments following your recent stay at The Langham, Boston.

I was very sorry to read that you found our beds uncomfortable, but also surprised as we usually score quite high when it comes to our bedding. In general, our bedding has been consistently praised in previous feedback on Trip Advisor and the like, as well as on our in-house guest comment cards.

Regarding the bathroom towels, I have alerted our Laundry department to make sure our water treatment, as well as the dosage of chemical used in our Laundry, is adequate and provides our terry with the softness and level of comfort expected in luxury brands. I thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. If there is anything else I should know that was not part of your comment and would justify the definition of “Worst service” I would certainly like to hear about it. To that end, please do not hesitate to contact my office (617-451-1900) should you want to discuss this further.

Again, many thanks for your valuable feedback.
Sincerely yours,
Serge Denis
Managing Director
Reviewed 2 March 2012

If you are one of the average people who plan a nice romantic getaway, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO GO!!!! The staff implied racial discrimination using their stereotypical gestures towards my company, which are African American. We were treated WITH SUCH disrespect, they refused to leave the room for the entire night, because they felt insecure about how they were treated in this hotel. Not only that, the housekeepers have no regard for personal privacy! One of them walked into my other room after I JUST stated there was a guest presently in the room!!! My romantic night was completely ruined by the staff. I spent $450.00 to sit in the hotel room, comforting my guest, when I should have been having a few drinks in their lounge...HORRIBLE SERVICE; NEVER AGAIN!!!

Room Tip: Dont bother trying to find a room, this place is disrespectful.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Lucia D
tlbos, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear Ms. Lucia D,

Your comments, relative to your recent stay at The Langham, Boston, have been carefully reviewed and I would like to thank you for your feedback. I would also like to take this opportunity to respond and share with you the results of my investigation.

According to our Front Desk personnel it was reported that you had an issue with room temperature (too cold), and furthermore that you experienced a lack of privacy initiated by the turn down Housekeeper during the evening of March 02, 2012. I deeply regret that this occurred and on behalf of the hotel Senior Management I would like to offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience or embarrassment you or your guests were caused.

As far as the “implied racial discrimination”, I was not able, based on my own findings, to confirm any evidence of such. You can rest assured that such an attitude has no place in our establishment and would never be tolerated in our company. We employ a work force of many different nationalities and ethnicities and are proud to successfully maintain a harmonious multicultural environment, which, needless to say, serves our guests and business partners well.

I am sorry that you did not perceive this to be the case and I wish we could have had an opportunity to discuss this particular issue before your departure from our hotel.

Sincerely yours
Serge Denis, Managing Director
The Langham, Boston
Reviewed 2 March 2012

So beautiful, so elegant, so historical. I stayed here with ten friends when we celebrated "our" birthdays.... We went to Dueling Pianos at "Howl at the Moon" for our celebration. Blast!

The Langham has everything you want and more. Great lounges...unbelievable food, Sunday brunch, AND A CHOCOLATE BUFFET - to die for.

All the staff (or most) spoke with European accents...so quaint. The door man was dressed military style and very professional and helpful.

Stunningly spotless interior.

We're coming back in April.

• Stayed November 2011
Wayne, NJ
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Stayed at The Langham Boston for one night while on business. The hotel was perfectly located to explore Financial District and Goverment Center. The staff were helpful and accomodating. They are in the middle of renovating the hotel lobby and Cafe Flueri so there was construction during the day. Rooms were upscale and well appointed. Turn-down service is a nice touch!

Valet parking is offered at $42 per night but worth it. We enjoyed a business dinner at the Boston Chart House on the Wharf and enjoyed our meal and found the selection to appeal to everyone. The hotel concierge recommended and managed reservation in advance of our stay. When I return to Boston I will definitely consider staying here again.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Every time I stay at the Langham in Boston I am impressed by the personal service and the genuinely welcoming and professional staff - but this week they totally blew me away. My elderly father (he is 86) was due to check out of the hotel but came down with the flu and was too sick to move. While my sister planned an emergency flight to Boston to take care of him and escort him home when he was able, I worked with the hotel staff to get her a room on the same floor, bring dad ice chips and crackers, and periodically check in on him to make sure he was both hydrated and cogent. Everybody from the front desk to security and guest services was on it! I received three calls from guest services throughout the day to let me know Dad was being cared for, that they had physically checked in on him and he was okay. From 3,000 miles away I had made a single request for help and they made him their priority; he was the subject of their morning staff meeting and the focus of their day. Even my dad's wake up call was made with an inquiry as to his health the next morning. Wow. I can't say enough about how great they were and what a relief it was. They made us all feel like he was safe and far from alone in his time of need.

2 Thank 2012Liz
Dear 2012Liz,
First and foremost I would like to thank you for your kind review of The Langham, Boston. Thank you for the wonderful feedback and, more importantly, the time you spent replying. It was truly a pleasure to have your father stay with us. I am pleased to know that his stay was pleasant and that our accommodations and services were enjoyable him. As much as we like to believe that we make every effort to deliver personable, efficient and reliable services, it is still, in my mind, extremely rewarding and reassuring to receive such complimentary feedback.

Thank you as well for mentioning the exceptional service of our colleagues. Please know that your kind words have been passed along so that everyone is aware of your high praise.

It was a pleasure hosting your father and helping you from afar. We all hope your farther has now fully recovered and wish him all the very best!

Serge Denis