“Great potential, but sadly, very poorly run!”

Commonwealth Court Guest House
Ranked #28 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I was expecting to find something similar to the Newbury Guest House, which has a great location, offers renovated rooms and a good service. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed.
My daugther and I arrived from abroad on a Friday morning, during working hours, at around 11h AM. We were planning to leave our luggage in the lobby and grab some coffee somewhere nearby, until check in time. However, there was nobody there to open the front door for us. We've waited for about 20 minutes on the outside, until a guest, who was leaving the place, kindly opened the front lobby door for us. Fortunately, the mentioned guest had the cell phone number of the guest house manager, Rick, called him up and asked him to show up.
We've brought a lot of of luggage along, as my daughter was about to move to Boston for 4 years, to go to college. We had to take all the heavy luggage to the 3rd floor using the stairs, as there was no elevator in the house. I thought it would be more honest to highlight this feature on their website, as this guest house has 4 floors and for many potential guests an elevator might be really important. The Newbury Guest House is also a 19th century building, but it does feature an elevator, so I was expecting to find one here as well.
Rick, the guest house manager, treated us with no hospitality at all, since day one. Before we were done taking our heavy luggage upstairs, he asked me to come to his office right away and provide full payment for the whole 11 days stay, as if we were not trustworthy people. When I asked him about room availability for 12 weeks during Fall, he said they do not accept guests for extended stays (despite the fact that their official webiste does mention weekly and montly rates).
When I was checking in, a lady told Rick she wanted to check out before the scheduled date, as her room's bathroom was full of mold and she just could not stand it anymore.
My room's bathroom was incredibly tiny, had no mold, but it did have a big crack on the floor, which could easily cause injuries. I asked the manager to get the floor crack fixed and the tiles were replaced 2 days after my complaint.
My room was large and had a nice bay window. However, 2 shades were broken and did not close completely, which affected our comfort and privacy. I requested to have the mentioned shades fixed, but the problem was not solved during our 11-days stay.
I was also upset because my room was not properly cleaned. Rick explained to me that in this particular guest house, bed linens are only changed once a week! I thought this policy was not reasonable. If the guest pays the full rate every single day (not a discounted weekly rate), it is fair to have daily service and be provided with clean bedding and bath sets every time it is requested. The cleaning lady only changed the cheap polyester bedspreads in the fifth day, after many complaints.
This property has a great location, a 19th century charm and the potential to be a picturesque boutique guest house, if it were not so poorly run!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank AdrianaRio
There are newer reviews for Commonwealth Court Guest House

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Beautiful old house full of potential and in a fabulous location. Some rooms apparently have been renovated; some not. My shower stall had mold all over, there was a huge hole in one of the doors and some of the blind were not working. If you want to preview your room, you have to arrive when the manager is there, before 5:00. Not worth what I paid.

Room Tip: Just ask for one that has been newly renovated.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank JSMRaleigh
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Considering it was Regatta weekend, we were lucky to find an affordable room near downtown and were very lucky with this location! The room was cramped by a king-sized bed, with barely room enough to walk around it, and the bathroom was tiny. Pilly, polyester bedspread but clean and very serviceable, and who spends much time in their room when you are one block from Newbury St?

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Nessie22
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Yes, the location is great. Our room was tiny. No place to keep toiletries in the bathroom. Small medicine cabinet that wouldn't close. Noticed a used toothbrush in it. Tiniest sink i've ever seen.. Only space to get out of bed on one side- my husband's side up against the wall. husband saw a note that a guest had left in office that they had seen a mouse, but we didn't see any. Our room cost way too much for what it was, but it was a busy weekend and hotels were going for twice as much.building and halls are lovely with pretty moldings. Our blinds didn't keep out light. Bring eye shades. Ask for a decent sized room/ bathroom. Room could use freshening up, but the bed and pillows were comfortable.did have free wireless, but I wouldn't recommend for business use because it logged out every 20 minutes. Fine for checking e-mail.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 13- ask for a larger room. Bring eye shades in case room doesn't have cur...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2011

We stayed in room 22, one of the largest. It is a kitchnette with bay window, small kitchen and small bath. No elevators, so you have to take the stairs!

Great location and value for money. Just be prepared to have a homey feel, since there's no daily service in the rooms -- don't be messy and you'll be fine...

People from the office downstairs were also great, especially Gino!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 30 July 2011

An absolutely perfect location for any stay in Boston. Especially for the money, there is no better place to stay in the city. The staff was very helpful and the room was perfect for a couple on a long summer trip. We would definitely recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dplattman
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Great location for a guest house, on the elegant Commonwealth Ave, and within walking distance of Newbury St. The staff (one person in office), is from 9 to 5, very friendly. Change sheets once a week, towels every other day, vac too. The room we had was small and the bathroom very small. The kitchenette is poorly equipped but enough. There was coffee maker but we had to ask for coffee.
It is excellent for those who do not want to pay a high price and be in one of the most beautiful places in Boston.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple