“Service Does Not Get Better Than This”
Review of Constitution Inn

Constitution Inn
Ranked #82 of 85 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I scheduled a business trip and located the Constituion Inn on line. I was very impressed with everything stated about the hotel and the comments from others who had stayed at this location. When I arrived in Boston and subsequently took a cab to this location, at the last minute I ended up having some personal issues that meant I was going to have to change my plans.

Shannon and Ellen - at the front desk in the reception area - certainly exceeded my expectations with all their help. They were so patient and helpful - they certainly understand what it meant to provide outstanding client service.

I had to leave the hotel, but I will certainly come back for a stay another time. They both treated me like family - what more could you ask as a stranger walking into a hotel! Anne

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
ConstitutionInnMgmt, Manager at Constitution Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2012

Dear Anne,

Thank you so much to you and all of the other travelers that have given us positive reviews recently! Typically hotel managers primarily respond to negative reviews or those that call for action, but we thought that we should take a moment to recognize those that have taken the time to share their positive experiences with the TripAdvisor community.

What we strive for as a team is to provide warm, friendly service and clean, comfortable rooms to guests at a reasonable cost. While we may not be the most posh hotel in Boston, we do offer other appealing amenities such the lowest parking prices in the city, the most extensive workout facility in the city and a complimentary shuttle to North Station. We continuously strive to improve our service and facilities and greatly appreciate all feedback both positive and negative, thank you!

Warm Regards,

The Constitution Inn Management

Reviewed 14 May 2012

I'm giving this an Excellent rating mainly because of the price and location. Average as far as the Hotel is concerned. Nice quiet neighborhood on the water. Little grocery store near by. $6 per night parking 3 blocks away. Short walk to the old navy shipyard and about a mile to the TD Garden. Its a ciderblock palace. But not in a bad way. Hey, its also a YMCA, so there is that aspect. Rooms were clean and had a microwave, fridge, and free wifi. Almost has the feel of a high class hostel. Still it was a nice place to stay close to everything for about half of what it costs in downtown proper.
Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Excellent location, regular free shuttle to Boston North Station, adequate but basic accomodation as well priced for what it is as we could find in Boston. If you are going to be out and about all day this is the place for you. Don't expect any frills. Helpfully friendly staff

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2012

We picked this hotel since it saved us almost a $100 a night compared to other hotels near Boston. The advertised rate per night was cheaper and there was big savings on the taxes.
The hotel is not pretty but functional. The room was comfortable and clean. The tv was a CRT and the remote was missing. The hotel was noisy as we could hear banging during the morning and evening but it stop by bedtime.
The location is not ideal. It is off any bus line or subway. It is near a free shuttle to North Station and since it is near the U.S.S. Constitution, it's close to a few hope on/off tour buses. Getting back to the hotel late at night can be a problem, if you don't like walking. Tour buses are off the road and the free shuttle is once every 30mins. The walk is only 10-15mins and is fairly well lit and busy.
I give this hotel a 4/5 due the value when comparing to other Boston hotels. In most cities, I would have giving this hotel a 3 or possibly even a 2.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We were a group of a dozen guys visiting Boston for a sporting event on a tour package that included lodging at the Constitution Inn, which was not well reviewed recently on Trip Advisor, so we looked to move to another hotel... but with The Bruins in the Playoffs and the Red Sox celebrating the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park against the New York Yankees we were out of options and decided to try the Constitution Inn.

I have to say, it was much better than I had expected, and I have certainly stayed in lesser establishments.

My room was fairly large, with two pretty comfortable double beds a small fridge and a microwave. There was a small tube TV from the 90's that had a clear picture and remote that worked very well. It had no view to speak of and no book of Hotel information and I had no idea how to make a room to room call, as all the usual tricks didn't seem to work... but no matter.

The room was clean and tidy. Towels were soft and the shampoo and conditioner were replenished when needed. We also had no trouble getting extra towels if needed.

The Hotel was full while we were there, with a few sports teams in town for the same tournament we were in town for so there was a bit of hustle and bustle in the halls and lobbies... but my room was pretty quiet and I had no trouble sleeping. In the morning there was quite a bit of noise from the shower in the room next door, as it was actually louder than the shower in my own bathroom... but no big deal.

The staff at the Constitution In are really nice nice and friendly. We needed a late check out due to an evening flight and they were kind enough to allow us to keep one of our rooms to store our luggage until we departed at 4 PM for the airport.

This place was great for what we needed, close to I-93, a $7 cab ride to TD Garden and the pubs, clean rooms, clean towels and hot water.

There is a coffee shop a stones throw away... with poor service but good coffee and muffins, and also a corner store with fresh fruit, wine and beer and the snack items needed in your room.

Tavern on the Water is a few minutes walk and is a great spot for a meal and a beverage. Great staff, lots of sports on TV and good food with a brilliant skyline view of Downtown Boston.

Not the place for a romantic get away... but good for the what we needed.

Room Tip: Even # rooms have a "bit" of a view... at least better than the odd # rooms that face a br...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Daytripp-r
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I couldn't decide if I should name the title of my review "Alcoholic's Unite" or "Hobo's Heaven". I say that because every morning the house keepers spent the first half of their morning cleaning the alcohol bottles and beer cans that had been hurdled in the hallway from the guests at the hotel who were either 21 years old or were acting like they were 21 years old. Furthermore, strays from the area found their way into the hotel to consume whatever alcohol was left in the hallway (Like dogs to an open trash can analogy). This environment led to many long nights of people in the hallway hooting and hollering; which made it unenjoyable for the folks staying at the hotel who chose the Constitution Inn for it's proximity to the USS Constitution and the other historical aspects of this area.

The room itself was out-dated from the television to the shower heads to the amenities in the rooms, to the air conditioning in our room which didn't work and made the room unbearable some nights. Our room was clean and thus the reason why I didn't rate this hotel a one star hotel. There are plenty of places to eat in the area, but it's a good 2-3 mile walk away and the hotel was very "ala carte". I didn't have a vehicle that I parked, but it looked like other folks were parking on the streets in the area; I didn't notice a parking lot.

I wouldn't recommend staying here. This hotel is very substandard compared to the other hotels in the area. It's Boston and there are plenty of options in the area and for the price I'd look at other options.

Room Tip: I'd find another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank goldarch
ConstitutionInnMgmt, Manager at Constitution Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Dear Constitution Inn Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are very sorry that you had a negative experience and that some of our other guests disturbed you. We do have security on 24-hours to assist in maintaining the safety & comfort of our guests and we certainly do not allow unauthorized people in the building. Unfortunately as hard as our security team may try, sometimes guests are uncooperative and we did have one group in particular this past weekend that fits this description. We have also almost completed renovations with the aim of improving the appearance and quality of our facility. New flat-screen TV's are going into the guest rooms along with new carpeting, bedding, etc. As far as parking is concerned, there is a garage just around the corner that guests can use for $6/night with validation, a far lower price than any other hotel in the city. On weekends the parking meters are off so many guests choose to park on the street for free. Once again, we apologize that you were disappointed and we want you to know that your feedback is truly appreciated. If there is anything more we can do please contact the hotel directly at 1-800-495-9622.

Warmest Regards,

The Constitution Inn Management

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Traveling with a 6 year old, we were looking to be out of the middle of the city so we booked this hotel. It was a nice quiet location - but it was so complicated to get around. We weren't sure if we wanted to try to navigate the subway/train system - so we opted for the ferry. Problem was the ferry stopped at a set time - and kind of screwed up dinner plans. Hotel itself was great. Connected to a YMCA - but you would never know. Quiet. Rooms were decent. Staff was awesome. We arrived early in the day, and wanted to check out baggage and then go out sightseeing. Kind of surprised me that you just "dropped" your bags in the office and that was it. They weren't locked up securely. That was my only issue. One benefit was the fact that you could park your car for the time of your staff at the hospital a few blocks away. You couldn't come and go, or you had to pay the daily rates which were extremely high. So we dropped the car off immediately upon check-in and didn't get it until check-out. Might stay here again if I want to be out of the city in a quiet area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family