All reviews ymca gym freedom trail long wharf bunker hill convenience store across the bridge few blocks coffee machine t station aquarium waterfront
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We drove through the streets of historic Charlestown and were very surprised to find that the Constitution Inn was the top floors of the YMCA. Big pool, lots of equipment. We were warned about leaving our car on the street by a frequent visitor who had his jeep stolen, but since ours was a 2002 Jetta diesel and we left it empty, it was still there when we returned in the morning. Hotel staff is very helpful in suggesting nearby, safe garages in which to park. The room was very clean, comfortable beds, no frills, tiny bathroom, but did have microwave and fridge. Internet in the lobby, I can't remember if it is in the room. Area felt very safe to walk in, nearby restaurants to eat in, close to Naval Yard, and Old Ironsides. We had a very early flight to meet, so don't know what the breakfast situation was. We got this hotel through Hotwire as an under $100 hotel near the airport, but it would be a wonderful hotel, if you were in Boston to sightsee. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My stay at the Constitution Inn started with a non-responsive front desk attendant finally looking up to see how I could be helped. I had arrived a couple of hours before the check-in time, but explained that I had a migraine headache and really needed to lie down. He explained that my room was not yet cleaned yet. When I asked him to call room service, he grudgingly did so only to find out that my room was, in fact, ready.

After checking in and waiting 5 minutes for one of the 2 elevators, I asked the front desk what was going on, and he said that maintenance must have one of the elevators stopped on a floor. After a couple of more minutes, the elevator came to bring me to one of the most discusting rooms that I've ever stayed in. There was dust everywhere and there were dead bugs in the bathroom and under the window. It was so discusting that I literally searched the linens and mattress for bed bug, and although I did not see any, I went ahead and kept my suitcase sealed and on top of the desk.

I left that evening to catch a Red Sox game, and when I returned, I waited 3-4 minutes for the elevator to come. When I got to my room, the key did not work. I went back to the front desk where they gave me another key. When that one didn't work either, I called the front desk and asked them to bring a key up. The key he brought up didn't work either and he said that the electronic reader probable needed a new battery. I asked him to put in a new battery, and he said that maintenance had to do that. I asked him to use the manual key to open the door, and he explained that maintenance had the only key. I asked to get maintenance up there and he said that maintenance was no longer there and offered him me another room. After I reminded him that all of my clothes, computer, and prescriptions were in the room, he reluctantly called the maintenance man on his cell phone only to find out that he was on his way back from the Red Sox game and would be there within 30 minutes (it is almost 11:00pm at this point).

When the maintenance man showed up, he was actually very friendly and helpful, and quickly let me in. I commented to him that I was expecting a discount or a comp when I checked out; however, when I left the next morning, they did nothing to try to make up for the horrible night before. Furthermore, they gave the cab that I had called for the airport to another guest since I was waiting on the sidewalk and "couldn't hear them when they called my room #" . . . most people waiting on a cab wait on the curb. The crappy cab that they called for me didn't take credit cards even though I told the front desk that this was a requirement.

Even if I hadn't had the difficulty getting into my room, the gross conditions, shady neighborhood, slow elevator and rude employees were enough to keep me from ever coming back or recommending it to anyone (except maybe an enemy).

Room Tip: Find a different hotel if you want a good room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank PThrasher
Reviewed August 15, 2012 via mobile

Got an amazing deal on hotwire (2 star charleston area equals this hotel for 92 a night). Fridge, comfy bed, clean, air conditioning works perfectly for whole stay! Great place! Fairly central! Right by freedom trail, navy docks, and water shuttle. Only complaint is the elevator is fraustratingly slow (many maids use it and theres just one). I wouldnt mind taking the stairs by the stairwell is blocked off preventing lobby access. Also, the wifi did disconnect a bit, but what a deal! I recommend getting a 7 day transit pass for $17 as this city is huge and a day pass is $11.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Michelle12345543
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I had read so many awful reviews of this hotel, but I decided to give it a try anyway and I'm so glad I did. It was recommended by the staff at the Boston Shriners Hospital. We only stayed 2 nights but it was perfect for us. Located in Charlestown, just across the river, patients and guests can catch the complimentary shuttle bus to Mass General. There's also a convenient stop at the North Station for the subway.
We stayed in room 428. The rooms were average size and very clean (in fact no dust - which usually bothers me in hotels). Bedding was clean and fresh. We had a mini fridge and microwave in the room as well as a nice flat screen tv. The air conditioning worked perfectly. The bathroom sink was a little tiny but the shower was clean and hot water plentiful.
This is a no-frills spot, but for our purposes and the cost (under $100/night), it was great. Staff was helpful and friendly. Safe location - my son and I walked back from the shuttle drop off at 10:30 at night and had no issues.
G

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Great location. Started the freedom trail from close to our hotel. A basic hotel however was fine for a short term stay. Beds were not overly comfortable and bathroom was small. And at the time the air conditioning was not working. It was great for the price as found hotels in Boston a little expensive.

• Stayed: June 2012