“Dangerous accomodations.”
Review of Constitution Inn

Constitution Inn
Ranked #82 of 85 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We stayed here for the 4th of July and paid 170 for the night (AAA rate). The hotel is part of the YMCA. I am not a picky traveler, but I was surprised how poor the accommodations are. To me, $170 is not cheap. I can handle a hotel with some age to it, but I expect my room to be clean and safe. Unfortunately, neither of those things applied here.

The ladies at the check-in were friendly enough, but the lobby was a bit shabby. The hotel is a bit out of the way, and the shuttle was not running because of the holiday. It was only about $7 to get to North Station by taxi, so that was not too bad.

Our room was on the 5th floor, and the room had not been thoroughly cleaned. I am not convinced that the bedding was changed. If so, they need to buy sheets that fit and learn how to properly make a bed. There was trash left in the nightstand drawer. The bathroom was pretty shabby. There was not any shampoo and only one bar of soap. The bathroom shower did not drain properly. The towels reeked of bleach. The air conditioning did not work properly but there was a fan on the table.

We left for the fireworks, and because I heard another guest ask if someone had been in their room, I decided not to leave any valuables. When I returned, I did think someone had been in my duffel bag because they items were not as I had left them. That is a bit disconcerting.

My biggest concern, however, occurred about 5:00 in the morning when the headboard fell off the bed and hit me in the head. Thank God, I do not sleep all the way at the end of the bed or else I really could have been seriously injured. I ended up with a nasty bump and quite a scare. The headboard was quite heavy and was basically just sitting on nails. The original screws had been stripped and someone had just put the headboard back on with nails. This was not sufficient for the weight of the board. My fear is that someone could get seriously injured with this. When I checked out, I mentioned this to the lady at the desk who replied, "Oh, yeah, we've had trouble with this and they've tried to fix it." Huh? There are setting themselves up for a major lawsuit and heaven forbid that it comes down a child. No refund and no discount, but, most disturbing, no apology or concern that I had been injured.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vanmorrison2003

Reviewed 3 July 2010

Pros of The Constitution Inn... price; location is nice, right by the Charlestown Navy Yard(we liked being in the quieter section of the city). Cons... this is a bare bones place, absolutely no extras, employees are pleasant but these are YMCA employees, not hotel/motel professionals. The first two rooms they put us in were awful- tiny and not at all what is pictured on the website, the furniture looked like old dormitory furniture. We asked about different rooms and they did move us to better rooms that were more spacious and had nicer furnishings. Still everything is a bit beat up- clean but worn. Beds were decent. I would not take the chance on staying here again. You will save $$ but I don't feel it was worth the savings.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank aismile
Reviewed 2 July 2010

We are a military family, so for us the room was based on my husbands rate. We payed $76.00 including the $6.00 parking validation at Mass Gen. Hospital a block away. There were no taxes and the room was fairly decent sized, clean and even offered a kitchenette. It is not right in the heart of the city. It's close to the north end, but in the quiet Naval shipyard area. We had the window open and the night was so peaceful. No city noise, whaling sirens, or drunk people. We went into the city for the day and didn't want to pay for parking downtown so we left our truck at Mass Gen. walked two blocks down and took the free shuttle to TD Bank North Garden's T station (public trans.) We did this whole trip with a 8 month old. Any other place we have ever stayed in Boston we paid over $200.00 a night for and sometimes up to $40.00 a night just to park the truck, which you can't just come and go with. There is also a large pool, and fitness center for your use... it's not a day at the spa but its free! So though this hotel is not 5 stars, it is clean, quiet, and perfectly located. I know for military its a killer bargain, and should not be passed up!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank xtina_bags06
Reviewed 23 November 2009

Great Price for a hotel so close to downtown. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 November 2009

I stayed in the Constitution Inn for one night and woke up with bite marks all over my body. The hotel confirmed they had bed bugs. The bugs hitch-hiked home with me and now I owe $750 to an exterminator, which the hotel would not even consider helping out with.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sailorvenus
ConstitutionInnMgmt, Constitution Inn Management at Constitution Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2009

Sailorvenus-
We appreciate and value your feedback provided about your recent stay at our hotel. At the Constitution Inn we take pride in the cleanliness of our guest rooms. We thoroughly clean and inspect every room after our guests leave ensuring each room is fresh and clean for the next guest. Like all hotels we have a certified service company that routinely services our hotel for any issues, and your issue was brought to their attention and they have investigated and found no evidence to your claim. We will continue to strive to provide clean and comfortable rooms for all of our guests, and we thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 31 July 2009

I was amazed at how poor the accomodations were for the price of this hotel. We live on the South Shore of Boston and were in town for one evening for a wedding. The night staff were a bit unprofessional (very jokey and loudly horsing around with each other), but I was ready to dismiss that since I really just wanted to get into our room. When we got to our room I was pretty dismayed. Our sheets and comforter were rough and thin. The bathroom walls looked like they were rotting from the inside. After closing the bathroom door, you couldn't open it from the inside; someone in the room had to open it from the outside. The walls of the room were incredibly thin and we could hear what was going on in the room next to us. The television was out of focus and not watchable. We had a slanted window with no draperies and the blinds didn't work. I felt incredibly ripped-off and we ended up actually discussing whether we should just drive home at 3am rather than spend a lousy night in this hotel. It was not at all worth the price. That being said, I did find that the woman who checked us out the next morning was incredibly friendly and provided excellent customer service (as much as you can in the 5 minutes it takes to check someone out of the hotel).

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank klrainer
Reviewed 8 July 2009

We chose Constitution Inn based on reviews from Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. It is a no frills hotel for sure but the staff was helpful and friendly. If you don't mind a bit of a walk (20-30 min) you can easily get to the market place and Faniel Hall. Or, take the ferry (a 5 minute walk). We took a taxi to Boston Common ($15.00), and did the Freedom Trail which ends practically at their doorstep. After paying $30 for a taxi from the airport we learned that there is a water taxi from the airport you can take but you'd have to pull your luggage a few blocks. It is in a quiet and safe neighborhood.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends