“And the winner for best hotel Shower Head goes to W Boston”
Review of W Boston

W Boston
Ranked #25 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Ya....the shower is wonderful...lots of water coming from this gentle rain fall shower head. This hotel is well located in the city and tries very hard to be 'hip' with the young crowd. We figured this out as we came back from a Red Sox game late at night and had to clear two gentlemen in suits and ear pieces acting as security. When we showed them our hotel key and got it was obvious that night life is key to the W. The rooms are unique and clean. I always wonder why the ore expensive the hotel, and this is an expensive hotel, that you have to pay for what the economy hotel chains give you for free. Ie, wifi, parking, etc. If you are young and hip then the W beckons you.

1  Thank 1qaz2leadu4rd
Write a ReviewReviews (1,829)

Reviewed 9 June 2012

When we booked the room we had never heard of the W Hotel before so didn't really know what to expect. The drive to Boston was stressful with traffic backups for much of the way. When we arrived at the hotel we were stressed and tired. I went to check in and my husband and daughter sat down near the elevator to wait. Within minutes an employee noticed them and offered to get them something. When I came back a short time later my husband was sipping an ice cold beer and smiling. The hotel advertises "whatever whenever" service and they truly do just that. Our whole stay was as accommodating as our initial greeting. We always look for a W hotel now when we travel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2012

I want to thank all the staff at W Boston for once again making our Boston trip so fantastic! All the staff are so amazing... This is our home away from home!!!
W Boston rooms are so clean and spacious !
I am very sad to leave my W Boston family!
Can't wait to come back!
Thanks Jen, Ken, Josh, Matt, Elaine, Leo and all the other staff who make this hotel so special!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
MGabree, Director of Operations at W Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Hi there, Irishprincess2

I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. Regardless of points or dollars, our goal is to deliver fun, memorable experiences and again, I'm sorry that we fell short. Email me to let me know how I can make this up to you.

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Overall, this is a good hotel, but I can't help compare service and decor to others - like W Kowloon or W Istanbul - and feel there is room to improve.

Positives: Good location, close enough to downtown and South Station (I like to walk). Chinatown is around the corner which means restaurants galore, including a nice vegan one on the corner of Washington and Beach (I think). There is also some F&B choice right across the street. Good, smooth check in, was offered my choice of Gold awards, polite. Room is very comfortable, bathroom's spacious, there is no tub which is to me a plus as it leads to cleaner lines and more space in the shower area.

Negatives: These are not so much negatives as very subjective opinions and room to improve. The first thing that hits you when you enter the room in the evening is the harsh fluorescent lights - perhaps this is to do with energy conversation, but lighting, carpeting and even the bathroom flooring just did not give the "W image" that I have in mind. Almost reminded me of Westins instead. Housekeeping forgot to replace a consumed complimentary bottle of water on day 2 of my stay, forcing me to open a $7 bottle of Fiji in the middle of the night to parch my throat - forgetful or devious, I don't know. The next day they did give a new bottle. The room itself, was basic - I am not sure I was upgraded for being a lifetime gold: the check-in person did not mention anything about an upgrade (I like to know, it is ok if I don't get one, but I wish they would explicitly say whether they can or not deliver on a promise to upgrade whenever possible that they make to all Gold and Platinum members - you must be upfront on these things, not hide and sweep it under the carpet). Instead he announced that I'd have a room with a king - sorry, but that is what I already signed up for so it hardly deserves trumpeting. And had they indeed upgraded me, and if this is my upgraded room then the standard rooms must be rather standard indeed.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business

Mustihaveone,

I'm thrilled that you enjoyed our diverse neighborhood and comfortable, spacious rooms. Come visit again soon.

-Matt

Reviewed 7 June 2012

I booked this way ahead using Starwood points..was always told if your using points not to book directly with hotel but call SPG. I told the rep I had stayed at a W before and didn't have a good experience and he assured me he would note that and also told me to ask for an upgrade. I did and was told nothing available..it was 2pm and I was told it was a little "early" for check-in...? and they could do nothing for upgrade..(there were 4 people going to be in the room.) I was told by the manager I should have called the hotel directly but trying to do that in the past was told to call Starwood if points were being used...this is the only hotel (the W) that I've had problems with. The manager did send up some drink vouchers ( we got them as we were returning to the room for the night so needless to say, were not used.) Room was fine ( they did move us up to a higher floor, after I felt like I begged.) Don't think I would stay again...just didn't feel any customer service for being a Starwood member..also the manager twice said..."well., other people have paid for their stay"....I don't know how she thought I acquired these points...obviously by buying and earning them...oh...and when she checked reservation...there were no notes...so shame on the Starwood rep as well if he just told me that and didn't do it...

Room Tip: according to the manager..call the hotel directly and "work with them" as she told me I sh...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Was very disappointed with our stay at W! Try to stay loyal to Starwood hotels and this is the first time have been unhappy! Housekeeping was terrible! Did not vacuum room or wash glasses and had to ask for shower cap! Was two of us in room but only give three towels which meant could only have one and half showers per day!And towels were frayed! And only left one small complimentary bottle of water!Will not stay again!

Dear Helena,

Thanks for the constructive feedback. And please accept my personal apology for not meeting your expectations during your recent stay. My team is committed to creating WOW experiences and keeping you as a W Boston customer! So please let me know when your plans bring you back to Boston or if there is anything I can do in the meantime.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

A lot of Ws are just a little over the top in terms of attitude

This W has an excellent staff, and that makes the experience top notch

• Stayed: June 2012

Hi Robtravels12 ,

Our Talent do make the difference! And I'm glad that your experience was top notch.