“Luxury Hotel with Disappointing Customer Service”

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #40 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We were looking for a local hotel for an anniversary celebration. I was considering a different hotel when I received an email advertising a living social voucher for an overnight stay. When I called the hotel to make the reservation using the voucher they told me that the voucher was not available on the night that I chose although the voucher stated specific blackout dates that were different than the night I chose. The voucher was only valid for 3 months. I had to complain and escalate the situation to corporate in order to book my room. I was given a room that was a lower grade than stated on the voucher with no further compensation. On arrival at the hotel, the doorman was not available. I had to walk into the hotel in order to request valet parking. I could go on, but you get the idea. This hotel is not terribly concerned with customer service. As I mentioned to the corporate representative.. if you dont want to honor a voucher then don't offer it. I would have booked a different hotel. On a positive note the rooms are very nice, although very modern so maybe not to everyone's taste. We had dinner and breakfast in the Hotel restaurant the Woodward. I would highly recommend this restaurant. We had two delicious meals.
If the customer service was better I would highly recommend this hotel, until then I would choose someplace different.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
NinaSweet, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2012

Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry that you felt you received less than excellent service. With regards to the Living Social vouchers, the deal was for a suite, of which we only have 8. Many guests who only wanted to stay on a weekend had trouble booking for the date they wanted. Once they are all booked, the only other option apart from choosing a different night was selecting a different category of room. I'm so sorry that you were disappointed. I am very surprised to hear about the service experience; I'm very very sorry that this was the case for you, and please rest assured that we will address this. I do hope that you'll give us another try, and if you'd like you can reach out to me personally at nina dot sweet at morganshotelgroup dot com.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

The Ames is a gorgeous old building completely redone to a posh modern decor. the room we had was a double/double and it was very large. The bathroom was divine with a tub like a small pool. the malin&goetz toiletries are so awesome. Everything was crisp and clean. The beds were super comfy with nice crisp sheets and down comforters. I normally find hotel beds to be ok at best, not so here! I love the lack of carpet as it feels so clean and bright.
the staff was very friendly and helpful. Check in and out was quick and efficient. The location was perfect for walking or using the T.
we were on the 14th floor(1403) and found it to be very quiet and peaceful. we can't comment on the bar since we ate out for every meal.
Really, you can't ask for anything more!

Room Tip: we loved the 14th floor as it mostly eliminates the city street noise. 1403 is a 2 bed double room i...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank adoiron

Awesome! You gave some great tips for travelers to Boston. Thank you for reviewing us and for staying with us. I LOVE the beds...I'm so glad you like them too! Beds are my favorite part about staying in hotels..crisp sheets..everything! We are on the same page, my friend! I hope you'll stay with us again, and I'd love to help you out personally with future bookings! You can email me at nina dot sweet at morganshotelgroup dot com.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

Visited the Ames for the weekend with girlfriend to do some shopping, eating and drinking in Boston. We were looking for a hotel within walking distance to Faneuil Hall, Quincy market, Aquarium, Bars, and the rest of downtown Boston. Found it. Upon pulling up you can park right in front and get valet service for roughly $45 bucks, or you can pull into a garage across the street, in retrospect, we would have just used a garage but it was very convenint to just pull up and let the staff take care of everything.
The staff were very hospitable, and we were introduced to all individually and provided a warm initial impression. They were very accomodating and welcoming. We were taken to our room and shown around it, we had the loft category room. We were impressed by the modern decor and the great bedroom and living room separated by a small dividor in the middle of the room which has HD Tv's on both sides (one for bedroom/one for living room area). Bathroom was large and had everything you needed, shower was great, high power great body washes, etc. The bathroom was a huge window however, where you can be in the bed and look directly into it. Not a big deal for us, thought it was clever, but there is a curtain you can draw for a little more privacy.Noise a tnight was present, but you have ear plugs provided if you need them. Great space and perfect for a place to crash and relax in between going around Boston.
We visited the hotel bar the Woodward for a few drinks before hitting the town, great sleection, very friendly staff, it was very crowded at 6:30-7 so if you plan on goign for happy hour, you have been warned. We were lucky to have to hostess find us a table to jus thave drinks at for a while and satified our needs. We also had breakfast here and it was pleasant, we received a voucher through our booking agency so it was fre, but given the quality, believe we would gladly pay next tiem around.
You will not need a car here as it is within walking distance to everywhere despite how intimidating the walk appears on Google maps. Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall all 2 minutes from front door of Ames. If you want to venture to a restaraunt a little further, simply let the front door man know and he will waves a taxi down for you.
Overall, this was the bes thotel experaince we have had in Boston thus far and would reccomend to all.

Room Tip: Loft is great, nice open area, perfect for the money
1  Thank BeachAddict82

Fantastic! I felt like I was right along with you as you described everything. You certainly chose the right location for what you wanted to do. I love your description of the room! I'm happy to read that we were the best experience you have had in Boston - I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship!

Reviewed 27 February 2012

The Ames Boston is a beautiful hotel with excellent service. It is in a tremendous location within easy walking distance of most of the popular spots and near the T if you prefer not to walk. The staff and service was excellent. It is truly a boutique hotel with a decor that may not be for everyone. As noted in other reviews you need to really watch for the hotel as there is no sign for it.

The rooms were spotless and very attractive. Large flat screen tv on the wall, large walk-in glass shower and a stocked pantry and mini mar with everything you could think of. Very comfortable bed as well. The only downside for us is that it can be a little loud. We could clearly hear voices and people returning to their rooms at bar closing around 1:45am which woke us up but that was not enough to complain about or spoil the night.

The value was excellent as we booked through Hotwire.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

I'm happy that you had a great time with us! It's so nice to read about people who weren't sure what to expect and end up being so pleasantly surprised. I truly hope that you will come back to us soon, and if you need any assistance with booking, I can be reached at nina dot sweet at morganshotelgroup dot com.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

The Ames Hotel is certainly a hidden gem. My first stay we walked right by the hotel not realizing it was there (there's no sign). The hotel is in an old historic building but don't let that fool you. The hotel on the inside is very modern. The rooms are large, comfortable very clean with high ceilings with a very large and modern bathroom. Customer service at the hotel is second to none. Upon checking in the front desk associate upgraded us to a deluxe room at no charge. The front desk, bell staff, housekeeping staff and restaurant staff, were accommodating, and extremely generous with their time, and clearly took joy in keeping the customer satisfied and more.   (My most recent experience with a Boston Hotel was at the Parker House and I had the exact opposite experience there). The Woodward bar was hopping with young professionals and two old people (My wife and I). Service was excellent. The drinks are not cheap but they have a lot of unique drinks on the menu so its' definitely worthwhile trying out the Woodward.

The Ames is in a great location close to Faneuil Hall, Beacon Hill, the Theater District and more importantly close to the North End and Regina's Pizza and Mike's pastry (For the best pizza and cannolis in the world).

The Ames is my new favorite hotel in Boston.

Room Tip: When you make your reservation call the front desk with any special requests. they will take good c...
1  Thank JonnyBeGood

Wow! What a great review! I'm thrilled to know that you had such a phenomenal time with us. Your comments about the design, the staff, etc are so wonderful to read. I can't wait to share this with the team! Since we're your favorite..I hope we can expect you back soon!

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Once again Priceline saves the day. For my husbands birthday I wanted to take him to Boston for the night so I threw out a low number and I got the Ames hotel. The staff that greeted us and checked us in were fantastic!!! The hotel itself is gorgeous and very modern. Our room was on the 14th floor and we had an amazing view out of huge windows. The room was very cool with a glass shower that looks into the room. The location was unreal. About a 2 min walk to Quincy market and less than ten minutes to the north end. Charles recommended a great place for lunch called Mare which we loved.

At night we wanted to make a few drinks and realized there was no ice bucket.....called down to the front desk and in 2 minutes we had an ice bucket delivered to our door!

The only drawback was that since it is in a fantastic location you can hear some noise from the street level. It wasn't that loud and it only reinforced to us how close we were to fun bars!!

Next time we are in Boston we are definitely staying at the Ames hotel.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank cmiss24

That's great news! We love being people's favorite hotel! I'm glad to know that you had a great experience from start to finish. Charles is awesome...he always makes the best recommendations. It's nice to know that you appreciated our location; being so close to the action is so convenient! I hope you'll come up from Connecticut soon and if you need any help with booking you can email me directly!

Reviewed 21 February 2012

We had a spacious deluxe room on the 15th floor. If you look at the hotel from the outside, you realize that the designers had to take the windows as they found them. So, on the 14th floor, I imagine they are floor to ceiling, glorious arches. On the 15th floor, it's more like a bunker. Oh well, nice and dark for sleeping.
Loved the minimalist decor, but even minimalists need a dresser drawer or two - with all the space in this large room, surely a discreet white dresser or front hall coat hook could be added without harshing David Rockwell's buzz. Likewise, an expansive bathroom with room for 2 tubs has no tub at all. Are small bath towels also intended for minimalist effect? Or one bathrobe in a room clearly designed for two? Minimalism, or are they cheaping out?
The restaurant downstairs has very good food and cocktails, but to be approached with caution on a Friday or Saturday night if you are not a club kid wearing a strappless H&M dress, or seeking same.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review us! I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your time with us. You bring up some very interesting points, and we can tailor future stays to meet your requests. If you'd like, I can start a guest profile for you to make sure that all your preferences are there. Please feel free to reach out to me at nina dot sweet at morganshotelgroup dot com if I can do that for you. I hope you'll stay with us again!