“Trendy, great location..”

Ranked #42 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Philadelphia
“Trendy, great location..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Spent 3 nights at the Ames last weekend and was not disappointed. Let me preface my comments by saying- we did have a corner king room with 3 large windows all around, so that may have biased my views, vs. someone who had a smaller room. I am not sure how may windows the non- corner rooms have. Here are some of my observations:
Rooms: As mentioned, our room was very airy and bright, comfy bed, huge bathroom. As others have stated, the décor is certainly modern, but very trendy and serene at the same time. The bathroom amenities were Malin+ Goetz, very in line with the whole feel of the hotel.

Service: Great service, concierge Charles was very helpful; even when we were out and about, we called him for directions or restaurant reservations, and received them promptly. Everyone we interacted with was friendly and helpful.

Amenities: Free breakfast sounded great, but never woke up in time to make it…made it down at 11.30 one day, and true to good service, the guys cleaning up after breakfast got me a whole tray of pastries/croissants and there was still coffee/tea set out. We did not eat at the restaurant, but had drinks and it was certainly a nice scene, better than any of the neighboring bars/lounges.

Location: Very convenient if you want to do the historic stuff, CVS across the street; 5-7 minute walk to Boston Commons, thru which you can cut thru and reach Newbury street shopping in another 10 mins. Centrally located to reach the North end or even Charles street and the river. Cabs were not quite abundant, so be prepared to wait for one outside the hotel, or just walk!

All in all, a fun, trendy 4 star; as long as you get a spacious room, you should be all set!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
NinaSweet, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 27 September 2012
What a great review! Thank you for taking the time to write about us after your stay. You pointed all all my favorite things about Ames...the staff, the amenities, and the location! I think it can't be beat! I hope you'll come back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Had several nights on a business trip and enjoyed the stay. Room was a good size with a really cool glass wall separating the bathroom and bedroom so I could watch TV in the shower (useful), bed was very good, room service fast and reliable, while the restaurant staff we always happy to serve me breakfast really quickly as I was up early most mornings.
Used the gym one evening, took a walk downtown with help from the concierge, so no complaints there, and there was a note about potential construction noise and some ear plugs in the room, which was a nice touch, but i heard nothing. This is a trendy modern hotel so if you want Hilton/Marriott/Interconti style accommodation this is not for you.

Room Tip: Upper floors for quiet
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Adrianhands
Thank you for your stay and your review. I'm happy that you had an enjoyable business trip with us and that it seems like everything met your expectations! I'm so glad that you didn't hear any construction noise either. I hope that you'll be back on a pleasure trip soon - feel free to reach out to me if I can assist with any future reservations!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

my husband and i got this hotel thru priceline what a fabulous buy
we were upgraded to a suite- there is a rain shower/lv/dn/bd rooms
we were on 10th flooe
consignaire? gave ua recommendation for oceanaire resturant across from hotel also compted
appetizer there
we spent 5 nites there and would highly recommend the ames-small and personal

1 Thank jclemm
Fantastic!!! I'm SO happy that you and your husband had such an amazing time with us. I'm glad that we were able to help you out with an upgrade, and Charles the Concierge is amazing, isn't he? I hope you'll come back next year - this should be an annual occurance!!
Tanya0810
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Although it is a beautiful hotel right in the middle of everything, I was so dissapointed on how noisy it was. On the 6th floor facing the street, one am hear all the cars, buses and people passing. The subway must pass below the hotel because every so often, the room shaked... The walls are also very thin. Not a restful night. Won't be back

Room Tip: As high as possible!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Thank you, Tanya, for your review. I'm so sorry that we were too noisy for you. Being in the center of the city does have its downfalls sometimes. I'm terribly sorry that we were not able to give you a restful sleep. I hope you'll reconsider your decision not to come back, because we do have rooms that are quieter than others. You can email me directly at nina dot sweet at mhgc dot com and I will be happy to handle your reservations personally.
Mass
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

My wife and I stayed just stayed there.It's a bit hard to find. They have no signs outside.I looked at pictures of the biulding before we left. The location is great. Right in the middle of lots of shopping and eating out. The staff is great!!! The rooms are great. We stayed in the 14th floor.awsome view of the city. The room decor was very modern.The shower was very relaxing. Bed was the comost comfortable if ever slept in!!!!!! We will be back

Room Tip: Park across the street on washington st $18 for 24hrs(least than a 2 min walk)
1 Thank abercrombie9701
Thanks for your stay! I hope you and your wife had a blast with us. I'm so sorry the hotel was hard to find, but I'm glad you looked at pictures ahead of time. Thank you for your comments on the beds - we think they're the best also. I hope you will come back soon, and please feel free to email me directly at nina dot sweet at mhgc dot com if I can assist with making future reservations!
Mendon, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

The Ames is an excellent hotel. Its location is second to none, being right by the Old State House and overlooking the square where the Boston Massacre took place. You can literally walk to most of the major historical attractions and restaurants/bars.

The hotel is very chic and modern with modern minimalist decor. The corner room king suite was just the right size with a great view of the Old State house. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom had lots of room and a great shower.

One of the nice features consists of a continental breakfast that is included in the room rate. With fresh croissants, pain au chocolat, bagels, fruit, cereal and strong coffee, it was the perfect way to start each of our days visiting Boston.

Now for my only complaint - the hotel has no signs outside with its name. As a result, we drove round the block 4 times before finding it. As a tip, its on the opposite side of the road from the northeast corner of the old state house at the point where State
Street becomes Court Street. The hotel's restaurant The Woodward (which is very good - a separate review) has its name on the windows, so look for that.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Yay! I'm so glad that you had an excellent time with us. I'm sorry it took you a couple tries to find us; another good indicator of our location is that we have red potted plants on our stoop and we are the building with the arched windows. Thank you for your comments on the room - I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast as well! I hope you'll come back soon - Vermont is not too far away!
Zurich Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

The hotel is very central located. We booked a Loft room and were very surprised about the size of the room. Nice furniture as well and very confortabel bed. Of course one can hear some noise from the outside but hey, you are in the middle of a busy city. Nothing very serious and certainly it did not affect our sleep. Nothing to complain about the continental breakfast and the service there was excellent. All in all very good hotel and great value for money. The only reproach, and it is a small one, is that for the rate of the room I think they could offer you the WIFI. It is not the USD11 charge it s just that nowadays in this kind of hotel it should be free.

2 Thank Nolofinwe
Excellent! I'm thrilled that you had a great time with us. Aren't the Loft's beautiful? A bit of the hustle and bustle of the city, but I suppose that is to be expected. I'm sorry that the wifi charge was an inconvenience, but we do have complimentary wifi available in the restaurant, breakfast room, and lobby. I hope you'll come back to us soon!