“Not Worth the Time or Money”
Review of Menton

Menton
Reserve with OpenTable
Menton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 3,588 Restaurants in Boston
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Seaport District / South Boston Waterfront
Cross street: A Street
Description: Menton, Chef Barbara Lynch's Fort Point fine dining restaurant, is the final concept to complete her Fort Point trifecta and joins neighbors Sportello and Drink. Located in FP3, the AIA award-winning luxury condominium complex, Menton radiates an understated elegance and offers several beautiful spaces to dine including the 60-seat dining room, a 12-seat Chef's Table, and the 45-seat private dining room. The restaurant, a glamorous expression of fine dining, was designed by Cheryl and Jeffrey Katz of C&J Katz and features a subtle palette of grays with touches of silver and black. The cuisine of Menton displays the talent for precision and visual artistry across two seasonal tasting menus and a la carte selections for dinner daily, and a more casual a la carte menu for lunch Monday - Friday.
Reviewed November 15, 2017

Not Worth the Time or Money

The first time that I ate at this restaurant--over three years ago--it was amazing: the food was incredible and the service was excellent. In the past few years, the restaurant has lost top management in both its kitchen and service staff. Most recently when I ate at the restaurant, the food was fine--but not worth the price--and the management was horrible. Before writing this review, I sent an email and a letter to the company to tell them of my concerns and I never received a response. If you’re looking for a special night out, you can do better elsewhere.

Date of visit: September 2017

Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

Celebrated my birthday at Menton. The biggest disappointment was the food and wine pairings. There was no flow or sequence to the dishes and the quality was not what it should have been for this class of restaurant my pork was fatty and grisly given the portion size you would think they could find a decent piece. The wine pairing at $135 add on consisted of relatively low end small pours that again did not flow for example we had 2 very sweet wines in the middle of meal. Finally for my birthday desert an olive oil cake. Not what I was looking for. Lespalier in my opinion is a much better experience for the same price.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed November 6, 2017

My wife and I were thrilled with the quality and creativeness of the food here. The service was very good as well as the wine selection.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed October 24, 2017 via mobile

I think they are trying hard and it is good in some ways but not in others.
They do beautiful complimentary appetisers , bread and tiny desserts.
The menu needs sorting. The degustation looks amazing but it would be nice to sort the other menu into appetiser/entree. Being told to order 2-4 per person is just confusing.
We had some lovely food but foix gras was too buttery and not as expected. The beef dish was excellent.
The wine list is ridiculous in its complexity (and must cost a fortune to cellar)and we ordered by the glass which gave us acceptable wine but not beautiful.
Staff were very good but I think struggling with what is on offer.
Not really sure what they are trying to achieve with wine list and food

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed October 16, 2017

Having lived in Boston all of my life I've had the fortune to eat at many of Boston's legendary tables - Cafe Budapest and Locke Ober in the 70s, Seasons and Bay Tower in the 80s, Harvest, Aujourd'hui, L'Espalier, Mistral and Jasper's in the 90s. No 9 Park, Craigie on Main, Radius and Blue Ginger in the 00's. Menton is a worthy successor to these and other great tables in Boston.

To be honest I've shied away from Menton because I'm not a "tasting menu" eater - there's lots of things I don't like to eat (most of them show up in tasting menus). But after discovering that there was a la carte choices available, and being invited to dinner I could not resist.

The dining room is elegant and subdued. The staff at the top of their game - knowledgeable, there when you need them, and devoid of attitude. There's a small bar area when you walk in that has several tables, where you can eat off of the same menus, just more casually. Note: this is a special occasion destination so you'll find some diners dressed up, others business casual. I wore a jacket but no tie and felt entirely in place.

The menu is divided into a la carte and "Chef's Whim" offerings. They recommend 2-3 choices from the a la carte menu plus dessert as the portions are smaller than a full order might be. My wife was full with 2 courses - I elected to have 3 as did our host. There are no specific appetizers or entrees, you just order what interests you. I had the French Omelette with Sautéed pole beans and parmesan, the terrine of Fois Gras and the entrecote of beef with frites. My wife had the gnocchi Bolognese and the Cod with caviar. Our host had the pumpkin salad, spicy mussels and the beef.

The food was excellent - maybe not as elaborately plated as some might expect or hope for, but every course was appropriately sized and delivered with style. The beef was beyond wonderful - cooked medium rare with consistent color from center to edges (could this have been cooked sous vide?). The cod was cooked perfectly with a caviar and beurre blanc. Dessert and cheese were nice endings to the meal (as were the dish of tiny rainbow color macaron).

This is easily Michelin two star dining (if they ever decide to rate Boston).

We ordered wine by the glass and there were many good choices that average $18-20 per glass. They must have the worlds largest inventory of wine glasses because they pair the wine to the glass exactly. We did not make use of the Wine Director's knowledge but she's very well regarded in Boston.

While the food is not inexpensive - you do get what you pay for. Dishes ranged from $18-29, so 2 courses would be $50-ish, three would be $75-ish. The tasting menus were $165-ish per person.

All together it was a great evening and we'd definitely come back again. Barbara Lynch is one of a handful of chefs that have really transformed Boston into the dining mecca it is today. She opened Menton in 2010 - an audacious decision - after the financial crisis when many of the high end tables in Boston were downscaling or closing. It deserves its place as one of Boston's top tables.

Date of visit: October 2017