“I wish I could live here!”

Beacon Hill Hotel and Bistro
Ranked #72 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Miami, Florida
“I wish I could live here!”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I came across this hotel on an earlier trip to Boston this year. I enjoyed Beacon Hill so much (and Charles street in particular) that I decided to give it a try, and I am truly happy I did so!

I stayed in the smallest room, and though it s indeed small, it is by no means claustrophobic (there were 2 windows), you could perfectly move around the double bed, and it was cleverly designed enough to include a tiny closet (with ironing board and all) and a desk. The bathroom was sizable enough to what you would find in bigger hotel rooms. All in all, size was adequate for a single person or a couple without much luggage.

Everything was spotless clean and the bed was very comfortable. And for Boston cold weather, the heater (room and bathroom) worked perfectly, and you instantly got hot water (I wish I had that at home).

Location is of course perfect, one of the quaintest streets in one of Boston's prettiest (and wealthiest) neighborhoods. The street is lined with small restaurants and shops, and is walking distance to Boston's main attractions and shopping. Last but not least, the hotel restaurant serves delicious food, as attested by the locals who fill the place from breakfast to dinner.

The staff is friendly, attentive and ever helpful, which only adds to the feeling that you are staying at a good friend's place in Boston rather than in a hotel. If this is the experience and service you are looking for, you will definitely enjoy your stay here. I am craving to go back, and hope the weather will be (at least a bit!) nicer than last weekend's odd storm.

Room Tip: My room was on the 4th floor and there was few noise coming from the street. Elevators go only until...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Lune14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Everything was impeccable: the cleanliness of the rooms, the location of the hotel, and the wonderful views. The food and the staff were immensely courteous and made our stay that much more enjoyable. I used to live in Boston and while nothing compares with a home, the BHHB lends itself to be a home away from home. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 October 2011

I just recently completed my second stay at Beacon Hill Hotel and Bistro and it will not be my last! I often visit Boston as I lived there during my college days. Since graduating, I no longer live in the city so I thoroughly enjoy my visits to Boston and try to go as much as my work allows me. After trying some average hotels scattered throughout areas like Back Bay and the South End, I decided to try out BHHB. My search ended here. This place was the best! Their cozy and quaint rooms make you feel like your in the comfort of your own home. But probably their strongest attribute had to be the attentiveness of the staff. While I am familiar with Boston to an extent, they were very willing to help me with any additional questions and references to good places to dine out. One night when I wasn’t in the mood to go out, due to the infamous Boston weather, I tried their Bistro for the first time. And the food was delicious!!! I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a place with true Bostonian charm in the most convenient of locations.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Regina C
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 October 2011

My stay at the Beacon Hill Hotel and Bistro was exactly what I hoped for! The location was absolutely perfect for where I wanted to be. The hotel is close by to some of Boston’s best features, like the Commons and the Theatre District. Also, the neighborhood has an old town charm to it that is reflected in the brick buildings and the streets lit by gaslights.

While the room was very comfortable and the staff was friendly and accommodating, my family and I found that the highlight of our stay at Beacon Hill Hotel was in fact the bistro. We had a spectacular dining experience each time we went in; the food surpassed expectations. I fully recommend others choose the Beacon Hill Hotel and Bistro for their Boston getaway.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank aeo1025
UK
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in early September 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay, although there were a couple of minor problems.

We arrived in the evening after a long flight and went straight to bed. When we tried to go to breakfast the next morning, we could not open our door as the lock had jammed. We called reception and somebody came and let us out. After breakfast, we could not get back into the room either, so we had to call for help again. In the end we were given a different key and while we were out that day they called a locksmith to fix the lock. It was still sticky but at least we could open the door OK. We received a personal apology from the hotel owner and the staff were all very apologetic, so we felt they handled the problem reasonably well.

The other problem is that our room was immediately above the restaurant on the corner of the street, so in the evening there was quite a lot of noise from the restaurant (until closing time) and from the street, although there was much less noise overnight. Using ear plugs we had no trouble sleeping, and a combination of jetlag and eagerness to explore Boston meant we were up early anyway.

The room itself was clean, fairly spacious and simply but comfortably furnished, with a decent bathroom and reasonably large closet where we could stash our suitcases. No bug problems (contrary to reports from other hotels in Boston), thankfully.

Breakfast in the bistro was great, with a good menu, excellent quality food and friendly service, and we found the staff generally to be friendly, efficient and helpful e.g. when taking our luggage to the room on arrival. We also ate in the restaurant one evening, which was a very pleasant experience.

The location is great, on the edge of Beacon Hill and about 3 minutes' walk from the Public Gardens, which provided a very pleasant 10 minute walk to the Arlington MBTA Green line station, so it was very easy to get around.

As others have indicated, this is a small hotel (or "restaurant with rooms") so you need to have realistic expectations, and it is quite expensive even by Boston standards. But we very much enjoyed our visit and would be happy to stay here again next time we are in Boston - so long as we remember to bring our ear plugs!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris W
Gresham, Oregon
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Yes, the location was perfect. Withing walking distance of the Freedom Trail and Boston Common. However, the toilet did not work, the lock did not work, and I left with dozens of some sort of bug bites. I reported the broken toilet immediately and nothing was done about it during my stay. The lock was already broken when I got there. And I only received a short apology for the bites. Terribly noisy street.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Corinne J
Markham, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Location location, location! What more do you need to know? From our hotel we were able to walk to a number of excellent restaurants including the one in the lobby of our hotel and walk to all tourist attractions.The rooms are smaller, but think New York. The rooms were well-appointed and fresh. All the amenities were there as well as lovely views of the area from the rooftop balcony.
The staff were marvelous especially the front desk people...they couldn't do enough for us. We forgot our guide book and right away came the offer to borrow one of theirs for the days we were there. The bar was a welcome little oasis after a long, hot day of sightseeing. The wait staff were there if you had any questions about the food and always had smiles no matter how busy the restaurant that was filled with locals.
Breakfast which was included with the room was a delightand a fabulous way to start the day.
We will return!!