All reviews charles street great location small hotel lovely boutique cheers bar charming hotel queen room exploring boston comfy bed common areas freedom trail district lodging starbucks bay garage
Reviewed February 27, 2018

I am currently staying at the Beacon Hill Hotel and Bistro under less-than-ideal circumstances: while my husband has major surgery down the street at MGH. I lived in Boston for more than 20 years before moving to northern Massachusetts and am therefore very familiar with the area. This place is truly a gem and is an incredible value -- it is much more reasonably priced than other hotels in the area. The location is central to MGH, Beacon Hill, Back Bay, the public garden, the theater district, the meatpacking and financial district, Downtown Crossing, etc. and the rooms are comfortable and modern but with character that speaks to the history of the building and area. Charles Street is quiet at night, and I have always found ample parking there in the evenings. If you can't find parking, there is a huge, well lit convenient garage less than a block away.

Yes, as other reviewers mentioned, the queen room is small, but it is not at all cramped or uncomfortable for two adults. With ample storage space, a writing desk, a firm mattress, soft sheets, plush towels, high end toiletries, a flat screen TV, free wireless, a thermostat that you can control, and common areas to lounge and explore, what more could you really want?

However, in addition to the cosmetics and other amenities, the kindness and hospitality of the staff truly sets this place apart. My husband and I arrived in pretty tough shape -- very worried (me), emotionally needy (me), stressed (both of us) and in pain (him). We had a number of requests ranging from extra pillows and blankets, a room on a lower floor, and dietary restrictions. Although we were apologetic about these things, our situation made these requests unavoidable. The manager and staff could not have been kinder or more compassionate. You know how you can tell if someone is simply being polite versus actually caring about your well being? These people actually seem to care, and obviously view hospitality as a vocation, not just a "job." This sincerity is evident in their interactions with us, as well as those I observed with other guests. It is this added layer of attention -- particularly in a difficult time -- that separates a good stay from a great one.

The food is also incredible.

This place will be my new "go to" whenever I need to be in town early for a medical appointment or meeting...

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LandJ2014
Reviewed December 30, 2017 via mobile

Having read many of the stellar reviews written about this Hotel, we had high expectations; perhaps too high. The room we had (201) was small, there was no coffee machine and the ‘heater’ in the bathroom made a noise like a DC3 taking off. On the plus side, the location is perfect for Beacon Hill and the Theatre District. The breakfast is good, and the service excellent. Our waiter, Gustavo, was great. Parking is in a public car parking garage about a block away, so you should factor that cost into your budget.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank James G
Reviewed December 2, 2017

Arriving at the Beacon Hill hotel by car could be a bit intimidating as there is no parking and I wasn't sure how to check my luggage in. As I stopped outside a check shirted young man came out of the door, so I rolled down my window and asked his advice. No problem, he said, took my bags from the trunk and gave me great directions to Boston Commons public parking which was visible on the corner. Turned out he was the bar tender in the Bistro and typical of all the staff; friendly, helpful and excellent. I loved my stay there and would also recommend the bistro on the ground floor where I ate dinner and breakfast

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Marilyn M
Reviewed November 22, 2017 via mobile

The location of this hotel is great, based on Charles St, in the gorgeous area of Beacon Hill with its red brick streets, and opposite Boston Common.

Staff were really helpful: we checked in quite late, and they only had a small room left, but we were advised to ask for a bigger room in the morning, and they moved us without any problem.

Our second room was a good size, clean, comfy bed, and lovely hot shower. The beds had the softest pillows!! I’d love to know what they were!

Only had breakfast in the bistro, but the food was great, and staff kept our coffee cups filled up!

The only negatives were the rooms got quite cold, the heating was noisy and the traffic was also noisy as we were facing the street. However, it wouldn’t stop me from recommending the hotel.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katy A
Reviewed November 19, 2017

Only 13 rooms and we were lucky to get the junior suite on the fifth floor. only negative for others -if you have knee problems or steps are difficult you do have to climb 3 flights. The third and fourth are reached with elevators. The mgr who was everywhere came up to fix out tv right away which turned out to be an easy fix but not for us geezers! He was friendly and he was from Dublin and his name completely slipped my mind.. There was also a young guy who had his first day when we checked in, He was helpful and I do hope that was the first of his many days at the Beacon Hill. we ate at the bistro the first night and the food was delicious Service was perfect for us and we were so tired we ordered all at once and then promptly paid the bill. Nothing fazed our server and again, her name escaped me. We had drinks in the bar on the first night and they were excellent. Tremendous staff. I hope we will be back soon!

Stayed: November 2017