“Excellent service and location”
Review of Kimpton Onyx Hotel

Kimpton Onyx Hotel
Ranked #32 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent service and location”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I am a fan of the Kimpton hotels, and Onyx is no exception. Their service is impeccable. I received an email before my trip asking if I needed anything to make the stay better and if I was celebrating something. It was my birthday, so I let them know. When me and my boyfriend arrived, there was a bucket with beer (6 bottles!) on ice and pretzels (they asked me beforehand what was my favorite drink and snack). It was a really pleasant surprise. I was expecting maybe a bottle of a nice brew and a tiny pack of something, after all we were staying for a weekend only! This was a really nice touch.

Staff is very knowledgeable about the area and attractions, and are able to instruct you on places to eat and go out around the hotel.
It's location is amazing, only three blocks from a subway station, and a short walk (five minutes, if so) from Quincy Market, the wharf and all the attractions there. Also not far for Boston Common. We did most of our sightseeing walking, and the Freedom trail passes a few blocks from the hotel, which allowed us to stop by in the middle of it and relax a bit before continuing!

Room was wonderful, and very reasonably-sized, with a king-size bed and a bathroom that was much bigger than what I usually see. Everything was spotless and the fact that they can provide you with any toiletries that you may forget is also a plus.
Also, you get free internet, and if you're a Kimpton hotel member (it's free), you get $10 for the minibar.
I have no complaint whatsoever. Well, perhaps that I wish Kimpton would expand outside the US!

It's not the cheapest, but it's certainly the best you get in this price range.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
I am thrilled we could help make your birthday even better!! We really try to make our guests feel at home, so I am glad that we were able to do that with you. I agree with you, we need hotels outside the U.S....hopefully someday soon (and warm!)!

Joe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Serbian first
Maine
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Great location beside the Garden, two blocks from North Station T-stop and a five minute walk to Faneuil Hall, North End, or Beacon Hill area. Beds are comfortable with lots of pillows. Lots of extra touches to make it a great stay- free wine hour, robes, free internet with kimpton loyalty program- all added to the experience. We booked the Onyx because of a deal on their website. If you can get this hotel for a good rate, it is definitely worth it! Parking is too expensive, but if you can find a cheap place to park outside the city and take the T or train into North Station, you will save some money. Rooms are a bit smaller, but comfortable, and if you are visiting Boston you probably won't spend much time in your room. The only complaint I'd have is that it can be a little noisy- on a Saturday night around 2am we could hear a few people yelling in the street outside the bars, and you can hear vehicles going by sometimes. Staff is very attentive and friendly. Great place to stay- will be back!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MaineTraveler24
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Great review, I appreciate it! I am glad you found our hotel to be of great value and that the staff was able to take care of all of your needs. Additionally, I am sorry that the "urban rythyms" of the local neighborhood made their way into your room. Please reach out to me directly prior to your next visit and I will arrange for the quietest room for you.

West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Came to town for a conference and stayed for first time at the Onyx. Desk staff were great - enthusiastic and accommodating. Rooms were eclectic and bright. Freebies of being a Kimpton frequent user were great. Not sure about the leopard print bathrobe but quirky is part of the charm :)

Room Tip: Higher floor might avoid street noise as it is near the Garden.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Believe it or not those leopard print robes are pretty popular. I can't tell you how many times we've had guests show up in the lobby with them. You are right, they are quirky but that's makes us fun!

Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Booked for a one night stay to take in a Bruins game in Boston. Location couldn't be more convenient to the Garden. Hotel is older but very quaint and cozy. Rooms are on the smaller side but perfect for our purposes.
Only complaint was that they didn't have free internet access. In this day and age a must! Come on Kimpton- time to modernize! Free internet would lead to a 5 star review!

1 Thank Teacker
If we were any closer to the Garden, we'd probably distrupt practice! Thank you for the great feedback! One note about the internet access, it is great benefit of our guest loyalty program Kimpton InTouch. There is no cost to join and you get free internet (along with some other cool benefits too!)

We hope to have you back soon!

Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2012

First time in Boston and a very warm welcome from the front desk staff (one Lauren, before we met the other the next morning!). Small room but nice decor etc, including very comfy bed. Evening wine hour is always nice, and staff gave some good recommendations on getting around. We discovered how small Boston is and were able to walk around easily. Nice pub next door too.

Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BessAust
I'm glad what were able to help make your first trip to Boston enjoyable, hopefully it won't be your last! Walking in Boston is definitely the way to go, but next time you may want to think about biking too (just don't drive here!)

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 February 2012

All the amenities I needed were there, the bed was super, the desk staff very friendly (and I overheard them giving very solid restaurant recommendations to another guest), the location is great (especially if going to the Garden), the subway is nearby, the decor was fine, BUT the bed, desk, etc. was crammed in to way too little space. It cost too much money to stay in what felt like a large closet. Perhaps other rooms in the same category are bigger; I wish I had checked as soon as I saw our room.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
OnyxGM, General Manager at Kimpton Onyx Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
I love all guest feedback, the good and the bad. So let's start with the "good"....amenities, bed and staff were top notch, so thank you for sharing that! Your "bad" was the size the room and I completely understand. Although we physically can't increase the size of our rooms, we can take a look to make sure that the items we have in the rooms are placed in a way that is not "crammed in." I promise to add this to my "to do" list!

CT
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights this past December and was very happy with the hotel location. It is very close to the Garden and a short distance from Quincy Market. The room was clean albeit fairly small. We were given the option to choose 3 upgrades - via an email several days before our stay - that we did not avail ourselves to. We could have had a larger room for $50 extra per night, early check-in or late check-out for a nominal fee. There is free coffee, hot chocolate and spa-water in the lobby all day long and a bar with some light meal options. The hotel is pet friendly but doesn't smell like it. The staff are super friendly and helpful with directions, recommendations, etc.
The negatives are that you have to pay a small fortune to valet your car here. The walls are also pretty thin and we had a romantic couple on side and an "excited/emotional" child on the other. The work out room is in the basement and is very small and sparse. I think there were 3 treadmills and 2 bikes. They had run out of towels and it didn't look like a lot of attention was being paid to it. Ice machines are located on every other floor.
I would stay here again but likely upgrade to a larger room.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank 2DogsatHome
Your feedback is extremely helpful and valuable to us, since we are always aiming to improve every aspect of the hotel. I appreciate the kind words about the staff and will also review your parking/fitness center/noise concerns with the team here. Thanks again and we can't wait to have you back with us!