“Great location, clean room”
Review of Hotel 140

Hotel 140
Ranked #56 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 13 April 2012

The location was the best part about the hotel. It was a block from the T and within walking distance to most of downtown Boston. The room was clean and the staff friendly. The room wasn't huge and the bathroom was very small, but we didn't spend much time in either! I'd highly recommend this hotel and would consider staying there again if I came back to Boston.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank 961Jane8

Reviewed 13 April 2012

There were some shady characters hanging about. Seemed like some were living there?

1  Thank AliceinEastWash
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I usually don't write reviews. This time, I decided to do so. I was impressed and happy with my stay at Hotel 140. I had to attend a conference at Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel which is 3 minutes walk away. I found the room at Hotel 140 very clean, quiet and enjoyable for a much lower price. I am glad I found the hotel. The Hotel staff were very helpful. I recommend this hotel without reservation.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Efrem G
Boston-Hotel140, General Manager at Hotel 140, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2012

Dear Efram G.,

Thank you for your comments. It thrills us to hear you were impressed and happy with your visit and the staff here at Hotel 140. We look forward to hosting your future travels to Boston.

Emily A.
GM

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Double room for less than 200 bucks. Walking distance to Copley Plaza, next door to back bay station and the T. Pleasant staff, a cheap diner downstairs for breakfast, free wifi. Nothing fancy but a great deal for downtown Boston.

Hello David,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to Hotel 140. We are happy you enjoyed your stay. We are especially proud to still provide free wi-fi when many hotels are still charging for this service.

Happy travels and we hope to see you again soon!

Hotel 140 Team

Reviewed 4 April 2012

I stayed overnight at this hotel before my flight back to the UK. The location is excellent - it is within walking distance of the main attractions of Boston and just steps from Back Bay station which has MBTA and commuter train links.

I was pleased with everything about the hotel apart from one minor encounter. When I went back to collect my luggage I think I must have encountered the same front desk guy as the previous reviewer because, in contrast to the other lovely staff at the hotel, he wasn't a particularly good advert for the hotel. He was dealing with another customer, fair enough, but when I approached the desk, and waited, and waited - he didn't even acknowledge me. Evenutally he did ask if anyone was helping me and said he would be with me shortly. But when he finished with the other customer he answered the phone and had a long conversation leaving me still waiting. It's a shame really, because until then I had been absolutely delighted with everything about the hotel and in particular the lovely staff.

I think I spoke to 3 ladies at the front desk during my stay for check in, directions and then to leave my luggage. All 3 were very helpful, friendly and couldn't do enough to help.They stored my luggage on my check out day while I went sightseeing in Boston which was much appreciated - they had a ticket system which was very efficient and indicates that they do this routinely which is an excellent service.

The room was small but there was only me in it and it was clean, comfortable and everything worked. The security is very high - you need to use a room key to use the lift - something which I think is important in a city hotel and which I found reassuring. The hotel's wifi is complimentary and I got a good signal in my room and in the lobby.The hotel is also non-smoking throughout which I appreciated as a non-smoker.

The hotel has character as an older building which has been refurbished but I think that's a positive thing. So overall, I would recommend Hotel 140 and I'll stay there again next time I'm in Boston.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AngelaTh

Dear Angela,

Hello and thank you for your detailed review of your visit with Hotel 140. I am so delighted to hear that you were able to explore Back Bay and Boston with us as your landing point each day. Our location and close proximity to both public transportation and outstanding tourists’ attraction is a wonderful feature. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the mixture of 'old world charm' with updated features and amenities. We are so proud of the historic heritage of our building.

Thank you for your comments on the pleasant staff members you encountered as well as your observations of a staff member that would benefit from additional training. The hospitality profession certainly requires the ability to multi-task as there can often be many guests to attend to quickly and sporadically. We are always excited to help improve the passionate dedication to these skills amongst our team.

Please feel free to reach out to me personally on your next visit to Boston. We look forward to accommodating you.

Cheers,
Emily A.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed here 3/21/12-3/24/12 while attending a conference. The location was perfect for my needs and the room, while a bit small, worked out perfectly. My room did show a little wear but not enough for me to give this place a poor review. My interactions with the staff were pleasant. Overall, a great place to stay with affordable rates in comparison to the other high-priced joints in the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2012

The manager of the hotel was extremely kind, professional and accommodating. However, the guy at the front desk seemed to be having a bad day. I travel a great deal and have been in and out of many hotels. I'm aware you can't have everything "perfect" to your liking and in saying that, I've over looked minor imperfection here and there. At this hotel, the condition of the room just couldn't be overlooked. Torn and weathered pillows, stains and more. Depressing. I moved to another hotel.

1  Thank 88travelpal