New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Perfect place for attending a BCEC conference, except for the internet service & restaurant” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Boston Waterfront

The Westin Boston Waterfront
Ranked #38 of 82 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fairfield, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

I stayed at the Westin for a week for a conference held at the BCEC. Overall, I was impressed by this Westin except for two near-fatal flaws.

First, the good stuff -- Upon check in, I was greeted pleasantly by the staff. I had to drop off several items for my group to pick up when they checked in, and the staff was very helpful with this.

I booked a small suite since I knew my group would be having several closed-door meetings. What was nice about this was that the parlor was completely separate from the bedroom, so there could be meetings in the parlor while I could do work in my room without being disturbed.

The view from the room wasn't particularly pleasant--parking lots and the side of the convention center--but for the type of room it was and the price paid, it was nice.

Housekeeping did a nice job at keeping the parlor area tidy after each meeting. I would call down once the meeting was finished and they would be up within 10 minutes to service the room. I tipped them for each trip, because they were efficient in turning the room around. It wasn't that my group was sloppy (the room seated six max), it was the coffee cups, bathroom, and room service dishes that needed to be taken care of.

Room service was exceptionally fast--I never had to wait longer than 20 minutes for my meal, although I ordered very simple items. The Irish Pub had decent food and shared the menu with the City Bar. Both had good service and good food.

The Birch Bar was either closed for renovations or cordoned off for a private event. Keep in mind when there is a large convention in town, the City Bar and Birch Bar can be bought out by groups and will not be able to serve the general customers. This is in the Seaport/Waterfront District, so there's really not much within close walking distance. Restaurants like LTK, Morton's, Salvatore's and Legal Seafood are a good 15 minute walk from the hotel.

Now, the bad news.
I had lunch and breakfast at Sauciety, which is the main hotel restaurant. Wow. What a disappointment. They turn the restaurant over at 11:30 AM from breakfast to lunch. There was a group of six people patiently waiting at 11:30 AM to be seated. The hostess blatantly ignored them, ignored me when I tried to flag her down, and ignored two other guests. I know the restaurant is busy changing linens over or whatever, but all the hostess had to do was ACKNOWLEDGE us and we would have been happy. She went out of her way to ignore us. When we tried to flag down the rest of the staff--they refused to make eye contact and scurried away. Insulting, to say the least. When they finally had the restaurant set (which was at 11:45 AM), the hostess and staff deigned to speak to us. Several of us were concerned that the restaurant was fully booked for lunch (they accept reservations, it was the peak convention day, and there were several tables already marked reserved), which was why we were trying to get their attention. I mentioned it to the person who dropped me off at the bar and she refused to respond.

Why I went back here for breakfast is beyond me, except that I was hungry and I had a long flight ahead of me. The buffet is expensive and the waitress was clearly unhappy that I didn't want the buffet. I placed my order, asking for the breakfast potatoes to be cooked without the bell pepper. She said it couldn't be done.

As a veteran of full-service hotel restaurants, I know this isn't true. The potatoes were deep fried and the peppers were added at the end; they weren't cooked together like a hash. She still claimed the restaurant couldn't make it without the peppers. Disappointed, I ordered the small salad and got grief for daring to ask to have the cucumber held. While her service was slow (getting refills on my tea was painful), she was super-quick with the bill. Upon departing, I addressed the hostess about the whole potato thing and she just blew me off.

Finally -- the internet issues. The hotel's servers were down repeatedly throughout my stay, which made working a huge challenge. After speaking with the front desk on the phone, followed by their off-site help desk (which makes no sense having someone offsite to service internet on property, but I digress), they finally said it was an issue with the hotel. Knowing I was being charged $13/day for it, I went down to the desk, asked to have the internet refunded, and asked when they thought the 'net should be back up. No one knew.

What was worse was that the Westin sent automated calls about their Westin Workout, but failed to do so when their internet went down. C'mon, people. All you needed to do was leave a message that the 'net was down, how long you estimated it to be down, and viola! I would have been much happier if I didn't have to keep calling people to get my 'net to work.

Will I stay here again? If I have an event at the BCEC, you can't beat the Westin for convenience. However, I think overall the Renaissance and Seaport hotels are better deals and have more restaurants in the immediate vicinity than the Westin.

Room Tip: High floor facing the harbor is the best!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Belasaria
ExecutiveAssistant32, Executive Assistant at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. I'm terribly sorry we did not meet your expectations with regard to your restaurant and internet experience. This is certainly not typical of the type of quality customer service we strive to provide daily. If you would be kind enough to contact me via email at donna.frechette@westin.com or by telephone at
617-532-4863, I would appreciate it. I would like to get a better understanding of what happened so that we can improve our services where necessary. I look forward to hearing from you and I hope you will consider staying with us in the future so that we can provide a more enjoyable experience for your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Stamford, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012 via mobile

This westin was nicely located. The rooms were just average nothing special at all. The value wasn't good in comparsion of price to other hotels in the same price range. I would rather stay at the Boston W for the same price. This seems like a hotel that caters towards more business than pleasure.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review and hope to have the opportunity to host you in the future. Your feedback is appreciated.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

I decided to take an overnight road trip to Boston. Since I had never been, I let Hotels.com choose the place and I'm glad I did! The convention center was very busy but the valet noticed me immediately and had me at check in within a minute. I checked in early and no one sighed and rolled their eyes like I've experienced at other hotels. Instead they graciously upgraded me to a harbor view and got me enrolled in the SGP rewards program. Room service was less than a 15 minute wait and I appreciate when I don't have to stop by the front desk to check out. The rooms were clean, the shower was great... I'll be booking with Westin for my upcoming stay in Hawaii because of the great service in Boston.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the wonderful comments you had for our property and for choosing The Westin Boston Waterfront as your hotel of choice while in Boston. We look forward to your next visit.
Belleville, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

This is a very nice hotel just outside of Downtown Boston. The price was much lower than what we would have paid for this type of hotel if it were right in downtown. It was just a short walk over the bridge to get into downtown. The hotel is only a short walk from the Silver line which will take you to the airport or connect you with the other subway lines that run through the city. Our room was very nicely appointed. We had a view of the harbor and could see jets landing at Logan Airport. Other than the hotel restaurants, there were not many really close by. We had to walk 10-15 minutes to find restaurants (maybe we just walked in the wrong direction). There must have been an 8th grade field trip staying at the hotel because the pool was filled with young screaming teens. We did however, enjoy the pool the next afternoon when the tween crowd was gone. The concierge was helpful when we inquired about directions to get to different sites in Boston.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunandfun31
ExecutiveAssistant32, Executive Assistnat at The Westin Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
I would to take this opportunity to thank you for providing such positive feedback about your experience and hope you will consider staying with us on your next trip to Boston.
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

We booked this with an online deal to be close to our daughter who lives in South Boston. It was very very nice. Clean,nicely decorated with a professional staff. They upgraded us to a city view room which was great.
Close to seaport attractions and amazingly quiet for a city hotel.
You won't be disappointed booking this property!

Room Tip: Request city view room
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Louisville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

The Westin room was very nice. We found very nice souvenirs in the gift shop including local artists. Food was good in the Irish pub restaurant. We had a Saturday lunch. Service was not prepared for all the graduations going on downtown. More patrons than the servers could handle efficiently.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I had dinner with international colleagues in the lounge. The atmosphere was terrific. Most importanyly our server Loraida was delightful. She guided us through the evening while maintaining a high level of tact. She made wonderful seggestions, made us most comfortable and most importantly controling the pace so that we could have a productive andenjoyable meeting/dinner.

My hat's off to her. Thanks for hiring her.

Regards,
Rob Mainiero

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for a great review and for recognizing Zoraida at Birch Bar. She is a great asset to the team and we are happy to have her. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.