“Expected more”
Review of Kashmir

Kashmir
Reserve with OpenTable
Kashmir is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #461 of 3,272 Restaurants in Boston
Neighbourhood: Back Bay
Cross street: Gloucester Street
Transit: Green Line: Hynes Convention Center or Copley T Stop
Reviewed 4 December 2011

Good Indian food in back bay. Menu is uninspired for the most part. Would not describe my time spent there as a dining experience. Would be great for carry out!

Reviewed 10 November 2011

When my friend, suggested we go to Kashmir on Newbury Street in the Back Bay on Wednesday I could not contain my excitement about the prospect of their long menu of dish upon dish that I would want to order.\

Kashmir has been around for about 20 years and in my opinion has remained consistently good with regards to traditional Indian cuisine. When I lived in the Back Bay, I ordered from Kashmir a few times a month and now, sadly, it is not in my area so I haven’t been back in quite some time. The aroma of exotic spices wafting through the door as you walk in is so tantalizing you cannot wait to just get down to ordering.
On Wednesday the place was quite busy with almost every table filled and there was a wait at the door. Myself, Barbara and Katy arrived on this past chilly Wednesday for our 7pm reservation and were seated in a cozy corner of this mainstay on Newbury Street. I was excited to get down to looking at the menu.

I have to stay very focused when I am looking at the Kashmir menu because I usually want about 20 things! The appetizers range from soups and salads to cold and hot appetizers. We settled on a cold appetizer of Aloo Papri and a hot appetizer of Meat Samosa.

The Aloo Papri was made with soft cold potatoes, mildly spiced with a creamy yogurt sauce. A nice simple starter.

I love samosas and these did not disappoint. Lightly fried triangles of pastry that poured out finely minced savory lamb when you broke into them that were just delicious. The mince was very delicately spiced and didn’t burn your mouth out, which to me is a mistake with spicy food. Dipped into some chutney they were really good!
We also decided to share our entrees. I ordered the Murg (Chicken) Tikka Masala and my friend’s went for the Murg Vindaloo and the Mixed Vegetables with some rice and naan.

I dug straight into the Masala, I wasn’t waiting for anyone. It was everything I wanted it to be. After all these years of Kashmir absence, I was not let down. Large chunks of spiced marinated chicken over a wonderful, fragrant, Masala sauce. The sauce was amazing – medium spiced tomatoes and yoghurt with a mild hint of coconut. We were all digging into this dish – it truly was the favorite of the evening. The naan was warm and baked to perfection and even better covered with Masala sauce. At one point I did beg my friends to “please stop me from eating any more!” They politely declined to stop me!

I actually didn’t even bother with the other two dishes. I know I should have at least tried them – if for nothing else other than to write about the dishes. My one track mind was only focused on Tikka Masala! My friend said the Vindaloo was really hot and spicy, even for “medium” but quite tasty. Sadly, my other friend seemed to enjoy my Tikka Masala far more than her own vegetarian dish, which she said was just nice.
For me the food was great and very reasonably priced.

The service was a little inattentive. We had to search our waiter out for our initial order and then again for additional drink orders. The place was very busy so I can be little forgiving in this area.

Kashmir is by far my favorite Indian restaurant in the city (at least of the ones I have tried) and one that everyone should try if you are looking for traditional Indian cuisine.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

Visited Kashmir on a VERY wet Friday night in October. We were staying at Copley Square Hotel so the restaurant on Newbury Ave wasn't too far from us. The restaurant was very busy when we arrived and we were told it would be a 10 minute wait for a table, which was fine as we didn't exactly want to go back out into the rain.

There was nowhere to have a drink at the bar, as there wasn't really a bar... But we ordered our drinks nonetheless but then were shown to our table. The dining area was quite tightly packed with tables so we didn't really have any privacy from the surrounding diners, particularly as the restuarant was so busy. Our drinks then arrived, followed by a second set of the same drinks... We promptly sent them back!

Our waiter's grasp of English was poor, so when we asked for poppodoms and chutneys to start (as is the norm in the UK), we were presented with one poppodom between the three of us, and a plate of lime pickle! Maybe this is how you do it in the US, but surely common sense should have told the waiter that we would have wanted a poppodom each! The main courses were fine and we shared rice and naan bread. The problem was when we came to pay...

The bill came so we paid the amount due with a bit extra for the tip, given the poor service we'd had. The waiter with the poor English took the money, but then was promptly sent back to our table by the manager, saying we had not given enough tip, the 18% they expected. Nowhere on the menu had it stated this. We thought it was particularly poor that the manager had sent the non-English/American waiter over to demand this extra money, particularly as we couldn't argue with him because he didn't understand. We then worked out what exactly 18% of our total bill would be, and ensured we paid not a cent more! I even wrote the 18% amount on the bill, just so that they could see that they weren't being "short changed".

After a fairly pleasant meal on the last night of our holiday to the US, we were left very disgruntled by this experience. We know that tipping is the norm in the US and had given 15-20% tips for most of our meals during our 2 week stay. However in this instance we were disappointed by the service so gave a lower tip.

1  Thank gemhawk
Reviewed 11 October 2011

I went to this restaurant after reading its reviews on the net...

It was huge disappointment for me. If you are an indian, you will know by tasting the food that they use ready to eat items like "MTR" or "Deep" brands for most of the dishes.

Even that tasted aweful...

And above all that the prices are amongst highest in the town...!!!!

Never suggest this restaurant to anyone for indian food....!!!!

Reviewed 9 October 2011

Went to the restaurant last night ordered various sundries plus two main dishes- curry and a tandori style meal. Overall the meal was ok but not anything to rave about. The bill came to around 60$ which compared to the quality I felt was a ittle step. I doubt I would go back!