“Just right for a weekend on the town.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Chandler Inn

Chandler Inn
Ranked #65 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Jericho, Vermont
“Just right for a weekend on the town.”
Reviewed 25 February 2012

It was the perfect size room for us when we didn't really spend a lot of time there, out sightseeing in the city. Friendly, out-of-the-way staff. Only complaints were that the water smelled a little funny (old pipes?) and the big shower didn't slope to the drain quite right, left standing water. Otherwise, it was convenient and cozy.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We were referred to this hotel by friends as it was very close to where we needed to be for this trip (Boston Ballet). The room was tiny and the bathroom even tinier, but it was all decorated with a lot of panache. Desk staff could not have been kinder or more helpful. A nice coffee shop was literally around the corner for morning coffee and breakfast, and it was a very short walk to where we needed to be. We had read on prior ratings on TA that noise could be a factor and had asked for as quiet a room as possible and were put on the top (eighth) floor. Someone in the room next to us was a bit loud on a couple of occasions, but otherwise were very quiet. Definitely a good price too for that area of the city. Would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: We had read on prior TA ratings that rooms on lower floors could be noisy because of noise from the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mircyn
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 February 2012

8-9 years ago I stayed in the Chandler Inn and at that time it definitely was a low budget hotel.

Now that they renovated all floors this hotel is a little gem in the city of Boston. Yes, the rooms are not that big, but they are really nicely designed with a lot of attention to detail. And although the location is on the ´other side´ of the highway everything is really within walking distance. It is a short walk to Copley Square and Boston Common and from there the rest of the city is within reach. Also, its location in the South End means you are able to explore this cosy neighborhood with its independent store and nice bars and cafes.

I would definitely advise anyone to stay here and to stay away from the bigger hotel chains that seem to be everywhere in Boston.

1 Thank Cosmos_Estrela
Worcester
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My partner and I recently stayed at the charming Chanlder Inn (2/4/12 - 2/5/12). It is charming in the sense that the front desk staff were so genuinely friendly and welcoming. And it is cozy because the rooms (and especially the bathroom) are small but the decor is modern, fun, and different!!!

We felt very comfortable there with no judgement whatsoever and none of those double-back looks you can get at other STRAIGHT hotels/inns even in the liberal city of Boston.

Definitely will return and recommend the Chandler Inn!

Highly recommend for a comfortable, affordable, and safe play to stay in the South end!

Provincetown, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 14 February 2012

I've stayed here for years, even before the did their 'Boutique Overhaul' back when it was a bit sketchy.. The rooms are fine for the price, but my real issue is the front desk staff. I usually overlook their lack of smiles and friendliness because I generally don't care, the room is good for the price as I said, so if I need to stay in Boston it's very centrally located blah blah blah.. But, on this last stay, I nearly canceled and check out upon getting there. My boyfriend and I had been traveling all day, and were totally exhausted, I really just wanted a kind, friendly and easy check in.. The snotty (per usual) guy at the front desk asked for my ID and credit card as I was paying, per norm, and also asked for my boyfriends passport to make a photo copy of.. He's French, his english isn't perfect, but he looked at me and asked why the concierge would take his ID for photocopy, and that they didn't do that in NYC where we had just traveled from. Well, the front desk guy turned on his heel (we weren't even speaking to him) and said very pointedly, "This is Boston, not New York, and we love Boston". Okay.. I tried to diffuse the situation by saying I had lived in Boston for 13 years, it was my hometown, and my partner was simply asking why they needed both our ID's on file as he was a tourist from a foreign country and hadn't ever seen that protocol before.. I said in all honestly, I had not either, so I pressed on for why they had this 'policy'. "Well," the exasperated concierge exclaimed, "It's for insurance purposes. You know, In case there is a fire and we need it for identification purposes." Really. I can't tell you how frustrating it was to be treated so poorly upon check in after such a long day of traveling.. We will probably stay elsewhere when we visit Boston again, the Park Plaza is the same price and three blocks away, they get my business now.

Room Tip: stay elsewhere
2 Thank Topher E
Boston
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I checked in for a two-night stay while attending a weekend event in the South End. I had high hopes bu, sadly, checked out after one night.

On the upside, the staff was excellent, accommodating me in every way prior to and during my stay. The rooms are very small; the bathroom laughably so, but that really was not an issue. The shower (no tub) was spacious enough with adequate water pressure and plenty of hot water. The small space was very clean and seemingly well maintained.

All this being said, I checked out before the second night because I slept so poorly on the first night of my stay. There was too much way noise from the inside of the adjoining guest room-talking and television sound poured through the wall until 5 AM. Add to that the sound of loud plumbing and slamming doors from down the hallway and I barely got a couple of hours of shut-eye. Note that the sounds of the city outside the hotel were quite tolerable up on the 7th floor, but noise from inside was unbearable.Granted, I'm a pretty light sleeper, but be forewarned.

Too bad, because the hotel itself and people running it were really great, as is the South End location.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I just spent two nights at the Chandler Inn. What a lovely hotel. Beautifully decorated. Great location. All the places i wanted to see were within walking distance. The staff was super friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. As some of you have pointed out, the rooms are a bit small. Not a big deal. We had an amazing time, thank you guys!.

Room Tip: It is located at a corner. I suppose it can be noisy on the lower floor. i was on the 7th floor so i...