“Not great. Not bad.”
Review of XV Beacon

XV Beacon
Ranked #14 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I had high expectations for this boutique hotel because of the many rave reviews I read before booking. We usually stay at Ritz-Carlton hotels wherever we travel, but opted to try something new on our trip to Boston. The XV was good, but not exceptional .We are willing to pay for a truly awesome experience and felt like we did, but just received a good experience. Nothing was wrong, but nothing was truly great.

We did have an issue with the temperature and asked it be addressed upon our return from a day out. Our room was still sweltering upon our return and we again asked that it be taken care of. They kept asking us if we had the fireplace on. Duh! No! We couldn't even use the fireplace, although it was chilly out because the room was a sauna! The maintenance guy came, looked, and offered to open the window and bring a fan. Not what I expected for the money we paid.

The car service was nice. We took it to the Garden, but they couldn't pick us up because they had other people to pick up, they said. No one greeted us when we entered and exited, other than the door man. Our room was very cute and I liked the furnishing. Bed was nice, pillows were either too over stuffed or under stuffed, no in between. It was very central for the park and shopping and there's a great Irish pub just across the street. We ate sushi down the street also, and it was lovely. Overall, again, nothing was terrible or bad. I would have rather stayed at the Ritz-Carlton though.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor and our windows looked out to an office building. We had to keep the drapes...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for XV Beacon

Reviewed 16 March 2012

I first stayed at XV Beacon about 11 years ago when it was named #1 Boutique hotel in the world and have stayed at least once a year ever since. I just had the opportunity to spend a couple nights again in this "true Boston" hotel nestled at upper end of the Boston Commons
Upon being ushered in by the doorman that remembered my name from a year ago, I notice that several of the satff members had been there year after year and sincerely cared about making my visit excellent.

The XV Beacon excels in every facet of a great hotel. The rooms each have fireplaces, Rain showers (that you want to live under), excellent sound systems with several speakers throughout (including bathroom) and superb beds/linens

A nightly shoe shine service and morning paper are hung on your door and breakfast either through room service or the hotel's elegant restaurant Mooo begin each day in relaxed style.

Having complimentary car service (two Black Lexus) especially when the weather is foul makes the this whole package at this hotel above all others.

After staying at several of the other highest rated hotels in Boston, one of my business associates came back to XV Beacon this year and said he was done trying to find a better hotel in Boston..

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Upon arrival to the hotel, my partner and I had a little trouble with our booking. We booked via AMEX Platinum Travel Services, but there was no reservation for us upon arrival. The front desk agent took our information we had and called AMEX to get the situation squared away. (Definitely a plus!) After a few minutes of speaking with AMEX, our reservation was taken care of and we were on our way. We toured the city some, and ended up having room service for dinner. The in room dining was just okay. The hotel definitely pays attention to little things that most larger hotels tend to forget. We ended up using the complimentary car service (Lexus GS450h) to South Station. We will definitely consider staying here again in the future...

Room Tip: Definitely try to get a room on a high floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2012

We had such a fabulous experience at XV Beacon! The service was impeccable, the room luxurious and the staff was so accommodating!

You must stay at XV Beacon if you are headed to Boston....you will feel like you are their most important guests!

Room Tip: Corner suite
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cathy M
Reviewed 29 February 2012

The front desk personnel and concierge were particularly helpful and the room service food was delicious.

Room Tip: The front desk personnel and concierge were particularly helpful. Room Service food was delicious.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SGMUSA
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I have stayed 3-4 times at this hotel over the last ten years but had not been back for several years. We did so this past weekend and were reminded why we liked it so much: unique, attractive rooms, intimate size, great location, terrific restaurant and a wonderful staff.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DK1960
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed Feb 25 at the XV Beacon Hotel for my boyfriend's birthday. Funny enough, my boyfriend and I had a conversation earlier that day that good customer service seems to be non-existent everywhere. We were pleasantly surprised by our amazing stay at the XV Beacon.

First of all, I had contacted them on facebook saying "can't wait to stay with you this weekend to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday" They responded and said they were looking forward to our stay.

Upon our arrival, two men came out from the building, dressed very nicely and classy. One of them opened our doors of our car, the other unloaded our luggage onto the cart. They took our car for valet, and escorted us to the front desk.

Once at the front desk, we checked in and the man working there was extremely helpful with all the details of our stay and services available to us.

We then saw the concierge who booked a Lexus for us to take (it's complimentary!) to our dinner in the North End.

Were escorted to our rooms and our luggage was unloaded. Once in our room, the bell hop showed us all the awesome things in our room, which included a gas fireplace, stereo system, in room dining, mini bar and the privacy light (no crazy signs to put on the door).

Another man, who appears to take care of guest requests and room service, appeared during this time and brought us a few snacks complimentary. This included a chocolate dipped strawberry, chocolate dipped apricot, chocolate chip cookie and an oatmeal cookie with crasins in it. Ice was immediately fetched for us upon our request.

Within a few minutes, they came to our door again with a special chocolate cake and waters as well as a card wishing my boyfriend a happy birthday. I was very impressed!! I hadn't even requested this and they remembered my facebook post!

We went downstairs to get our car for dinner and the driver was waiting in the lobby for us. We took a spacious and comfortable Lexus SUV and it was nice ride to the restaurant. The car service does only run until 11pm, but they will call cabs for you as needed.

The room itself, was beautiful! Not much of a view (we were on the 2nd floor) but the gas log fireplace was awesome, the stereo was great and had speakers in the bathroom. The bed was comfortable as were the chairs in the room. There was a safe in the closet and plenty of area for storage if you were there for a long stay. The mini bar was by far the most impressive on I've ever seen. Everything from gourmet snacks, comfort food, varieties of wine, champagne, hard liquor, water juice and coconut water.

The bathroom was very clean and beautiful! The rain shower head was amazing and the jetted tub was treat in the morning before we started our day.

A newspaper of our choice was delivered for us the next day and they remembered our room and names during check out! I was so impressed that everyone here is so detail oriented! Our bags were placed in the car for us and the car was brought up to wait for us, while we enjoyed a delicious and leisurely brunch at Mooo... next door.

Overall, one amazing weekend in the best hotel I've ever stayed in. This will now be my new go to hotel for when I stay in Boston with your great service, excellent staff and a beautiful hotel in a great location! Thank you XV Beacon for an amazing weekend and for making my boyfriends birthday the best one he's ever had!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple