“Great value right next to Fenway Park”

Boston Hotel Buckminster
Ranked #66 of 83 Hotels in Boston
“Great value right next to Fenway Park”
Reviewed 23 April 2012 via mobile

My wife and I travel to Boston a lot and cannot really afford to stay in the high end hotels, so we are always looking for a great "value" hotel, and this place was it. Complementary breakfast in the morning was "serviceable", meaning that it got the job done, but was nothing to rave about. The rooms were really small, but that's typical in Boston. The parking next door was $28/day which isn't that bad considering that some of the nearby lots cost more than than. The best part about this place was the location! If you plan to go to Fenway Park then this is the hotel for you. It is literally a 5 minute walk to Yawkey Way and all of the surrounding bars and restaurants. Will definitely be back to the Buckminster.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank QB1801

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This classic old historic hotel is my favorite place in Boston, marble entry way, everyone treats me like VIP, "Welcome back Kathryn" always makes me smile.....and the best part is if you are going to Red Sox game it's right outside your door. Rooms are spacious, windows actually open, and it feels like European charm and elegance.
Lot's of bars and restaurants right in neighborhood, bookstore, BU.....it's just a fun area, close to T subway.

Room Tip: The suites are wonderful
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MassachusettsKathryn
Ha'iku, Maui
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Bad -- really bad -- experience here. Weird noise coming from an air shaft (which was the view from my only window). Sounded like someone tapping on a bongo drum every 3-5 seconds. Maintenance man came up and with a straight face said he couldn't hear the noise that kept me awake half of the night. I was kept awake the OTHER half by the sound of water rushing down a drain pipe inside the wall every time someone on one of the 8 upper floors flushed their toilet. Then there were the people partying in the next room. Oh, and the last wonderful little touch: I had to unplug either the desk lamp or the clock radio to plug in my laptop. All this for $180 a night, plus tax. I asked to change rooms, but the front desk said every single room was occupied regardless of rate.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Boston hotels

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

checking in was unwelcoming. Staff appeared bored and disinterested. Rooms tired but clean. Very comfy beds. Amazed that there was no kettle or means of making a hot drink, however there was a fridge and a microwave!! No cups/mugs. Had to go off premises to get a coffee. Breakfast in the next door sushi cafe was adequate but only paper plates provided, you had to clear your own table and they werent wiped down between guests. Check out staff much more pleasant and very helpful - even carried my bag out to the taxi - what a difference - doesnt cost anything to be friendly and polite! Costly budget hotel.

Such a difference between this hotel and a Howard Johnson that we had just come from which was far cheaper and much, much nicer

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
New Jersy
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here for four nights. The value was paramount for a hotel in Boston and the location was great as well. Being huge baseball fans and being able to open my windows each morning and see Fenway was unreal. Plenty of great bars in the area as well, and insanely close to the Kenmore T stop on the Green Line. The continental breakfast is included and should not be missed. Bagels, cereal, juice, coffee, and waffles....included with the room to boot. The staff was friendly enough, although we did not need to interact with them much. The room was very basic and a very, very small tv....that needs an upgrade, but we did not go to Boston to watch TV so I can't complain too much. The shower water pressure is undesirable as well, but it was hot and got us clean. The elevator was out of order more than it should have been but that happens.

This hotel is great for people going to see Boston and not spend time in their room. It was very reasonably priced, great location and we would stay here again if we ever traveled back to Boston.

Room Tip: If you want sleep ask for a room not next to the Mass Turnpike....I wanted a view of Fenway so it wa...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Rick R, General Manager at Boston Hotel Buckminster, responded to this review, 12 October 2016
Thank you for completing the survey for us. We value your feedback and patronage. It is good to hear that you took advantage of our great location to experience all that Boston has to offer.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed here for Paddies week first night was disaster with the Blackout but was here for 5 nights and enjoyed my stay and only around the corner from the house of Blues and Boylston Street only a short walk away - overall enjoyed my stay and will be back for next year.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank StretchRyan
South Shore, Mass.
Reviewed 19 March 2012

I can't even review the hotel room itself because I did not even end up staying here. My boyfriend and I had tickets to a concert at the House of Blues, so we decided to book a room here this past Wednesday. This was the day after the "Boston Blackout", so some of the city was still without power. After calling the concert venue to see if they had power (they did, concert was a go), I must have called the hotel 6-8 times, each time not getting any voicemail, just ringing and ringing. I also sent two e-mails and never heard back.

Upon arrival, I could see the hotel was dark, and a small sign posted on the front door stating that the hotel was closed due to the power outage. I approached the front desk and was quickly told by an annoyed looking woman that my reservation for that evening was no longer valid. I was a bit taken aback by how rude she was off the bat. I asked her if they would be able to help me in getting another room in the city. She shot back that they had no power, how would she be able to help me with that? (This was said in between her texting on her cell phone). I asked what they were going to be able to do to help me, as I had booked the hotel because of its low rates, and most other rooms in the city would be upwards of $300. She once again told me that there was nothing she could do because "ummm, I told you, we have NO power!" and tossed me a piece of paper with the name and phone number of a hotel across the city (already booked up when we called).

I completely understand why the hotel had to close due to the power outage, but it baffles me that they could not take a few simple steps to make lines of communication better (forwarding their phone lines to employees cell phones?) Also, it is shocking to me in that this hotel would not even try to do something to retain the business of those who were put out. Perhaps offering to rebook all the effected guests at partial or full cost to the hotel or even offering a complimentary or reduced nights stay at some point in the future?

In the end, we were lucky enough to book at the Colonnade (can not recommend them enough, so kind and helpful!), no thanks to the awful staff at the Hotel Buckminster. I advise everyone to stay far away from this hotel that doesn't seem to care a bit about the satisfaction of their guests.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SoxGirl982
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
The Verb Hotel
Eliot Hotel
Eliot Hotel
#9 of 83 in Boston
The Inn at Longwood Medical

Been to Boston Hotel Buckminster? Share your experiences!