Hampton Inn Topeka
Travelocity
US$139
Homewood
TripAdvisor
All reviewscracker barrelfront desktexas roadhouseroom was cleanexcellent hotelbreakfast staffoff the highwaycomplimentary breakfastdefinitely stay here againthe hotel staffconvenient locationstaff was very friendlyexercise roomfresh fruitgreat place to stayhot tubbusiness trip
Reviewed 30 January 2012

When you're staying overnight and just want to head for your meeting or get back on the road in the morning, a predictable good product is just fine. That's what I found at the Hampton. It's in one of those anonymous corporate parks that spring up just off the highway of many medium-sized cities, with the requisite giant lit signs on sticks, every hotel franchise possible, and clusters of chain restaurants. The ones nearest the Hampton (walking distance if you don't mind stretching your legs) are Cracker Barrel, Ribs Crib and a steakhouse. There are plenty more within a mile or two.

The Hampton is so close to the highway it's easy to spot, which is good news and bad news. The good news, of course, is that you can find it. The bad news is highway noise, even from my room on the 4th floor. If you're sensitive to this, bring earplugs or ask for a room on the other side of the hotel. My room had a refrigerator and a microwave. Wi-Fi was dependable, a good speed and easy to sign on.

The room was comfortable, housekeeping was fine, and the pool was OK for a 40-minute swim only because I didn't have to share it with anyone and thus could swim diagonally, cutting down the time between turns. Gym equipment looked new or nearly new.

Breakfast included eggs (the rubber hockey-puck variety), potatoes, creamed beef and biscuits and oatmeal, as well as many cold selections, so I headed off to my meeting well-exercised and well-fortified.

All in all, a good Hampton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side not facing the highway.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We checked in here after leaving the Hyatt Place. What a contrast; what a relief! Nice quiet room, friendly staff, good breakfast, located conveniently.

1  Thank ipeguy
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This is a newer Hampton with large room, really large bathrooms, and walk-in showers (which I love). My king-bed room had a large desk, refrigerator and microwave. Did I mention the large bathroom?? It was so nice to have room in the shower rather than those converted bathtubs that grace most hotels. I didn't have to fight the shower curtain.

I would ask for a north-facing room, if possible. That direction should be shielded from the constant highway noise. The hotel is right at a curve in the road and large semi-trucks are downshifting to slow for the curve and the noise is directed right at the hotel. The north side does face a couple restaurants so there is a possibility of noise from those parking lots too.

For a new hotel I was surprised at the amount of sounds coming through the walls and ceiling. It was easy to hear the conversations in the rooms on both sides of me and the people in the floor above me must have been acrobats. Some hotels are really good about noise abatement and others are not. But all-in-all this was a very nice room, at a good price, convenient location, and clean.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

Another fine Hampton Inn. The consistency is something we seem to be able to find in all Hampton Inns. We have not been disappointed and we have traveled from East Coast to West Coast on different roads.

Reviewed 3 December 2011

The hotel is pretty pretty. But what sets it apart is its management staff. Their agm is beyond friendly and always greeted us with a smile. I had a dispute with him and was extremely rude to him. I ended up realizing I made a mistake and apologized to him. He didn't hold it agaisnt me and afterwards treated me like if I never called him names. Great hotel

• Stayed: November 2011