“Beautiful View”

Ranked #77 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Sanibel, FL
“Beautiful View”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I enjoyed this Hilton. I had seen on their website that they had shuttle service and called a week prior to confirm. I was told to just call when I arrive and they would send over the shuttle as it was close to airport. When I arrived, I called and was told there was no shuttle. While that is not insurmountable, it was not expected that I did not have transportation. I did find a reasonable shuttle that I paid for and got there fine.

Check-in was fast. Room was typical of a downtown Hilton, upscale bedding. Thankfully, my package included internet as I usually have to pay from $10 per day and up depending upon location. I did see reviews where guests had to pay.

View was great looking out over the water and bridge to Coronodo. Housekeeping was attentive. There were several restaurants and a Starbucks in the hotel. I was disappointed to have to pay $18 for a cup soup, salad, iced tea in the sports bar for lunch. Food was fine. We ate there another evening and just got burgers.

It was a great location with a waterfront walk for quite some distance to other restaurants, Seaport Village, USS Midway, and ferry tours. I also was able to walk to Gas Light Village with lots of other restaurants, etc. Great trip to San Diego.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orange County, California
Reviewed 30 March 2012

My best friend and I absolutely LOVE this hotel. This is the second time we've stayed here. It was a little more then I usually pay for hotels- but so worth it! The hotel is beautiful- there is a view from every room. The first time we stayed we got a room with the Bay/City view. This trip, however, we had the Port/Coronado view. While Coronado island is beautiful- I'd suggest the Bay/City view.

The rooms are fabulous. Plenty of room to spread out. The beds are AMAZING! So lovely to fall into one at the end of a long day. I love love love the pillows! The bathroom has lots of counter space. Only issue I encountered... I flooded the bathroom floor with water from the shower once. But, its not the hotels fault- I'm just a dork.

The best part about this hotel is the location! Its right on the bay. A 5 min walk to the convention center- there is a trolley station right across the street- and just past that is the entrance to the Gaslamp District. It is SO nice to be able to walk to the Gaslamp for dinner or drinks and not have to take a cab.

Room Tip: Opt for the City/Bay view instead of the Port/Coronado view- more to look at... and the sun won'...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank allierskine
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
I am so excited to hear that you voted us your favorite hotel in San Diego! What an honor! Thank you for your wonderful review and all your fantastic feedback. I am delighted to learn that you loved your guestroom and the beautiful views of the bay and Coronado! I am so happy to hear that you found the beds to be some comfy and cozy, especially the pillows. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed the convenient location of the property just a short walk away from the downtown Gaslamp District with a variety of fabulous restaurants and shops. Thank you for staying with us again and I hope you stay with us for a third time on your next visit to San Diego! Hope to see you soon!
East Granby, Connecticut
Reviewed 29 March 2012

After leaving the Hotel del Coronado, we arrived at the Hilton San Diego Bayfront and they immediately upgraded our room to a veranda/bay view and were smiling and ready to help us! They made sugestions and kept asking us how our room was and how our food tasted! It was a dream after a horrible week on Coronado Island. The hotel restaurant had the best food in the world! My Husband asked the cehf to cook him whatever he thught was best because he was so used to being disappointed at Hotel del Coronado- and the chef did NOT let us down!! We ate there twice a day , sometimes and were so happy and relaxed. The rooms were perfectly quiet, But again- the staff made all the difference- They smiled at us and constantly called our room and asked us how they could help. Gotta LOVE a Hilton after a bad experience!

Room Tip: All rooms are great here!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your fantastic 5 star review. I am overjoyed to hear what a wonderful and memorable experience you had during your stay. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom and the beautiful views of the bay. I am elated to learn how delightful and accommodating the entire staff was during your stay. We feel it is of the utmost importance that ALL of our guests feel welcome and comfortable from the moment they can check-in until the moment they check out. It is great to hear that you loved the restaurants so much that you dined there numerous times and that your husband was impressed and happy with the Chef’s selection. Thank you so much for all your kind words of encouragement. I will be sure to pass along all your heartening feedback to the staff. We hope to see you again on your next visit to San Diego!
East Northport, New York
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Did not 'upgrade' for $20, but still had a room with view over railroad yards and bay. Had requested no feathers due to allergies and they had thoughtfully put an air cleaner in the room.
Apart from that, typical Hilton, no charm, but efficient. Walk to Gaslight district not too bad, but if you want to be close to restaurants etc, there are better choices

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in San Diego and that you loved the beautiful views of the bay from your guestroom. I am very glad to learn that the staff was happy to accommodate your feather allergy and put an air purifier in your room. I am delighted to learn that you found the staff efficient and accommodating throughout your stay. I am glad that you found the hotel location conveniently located next to the convention center and just a short walk to Petco Park and the downtown Gaslamp District. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you visit us on your next trip to San Diego!
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 29 March 2012

recent convention attended at Hilton Bayfront S.D. Not a positive experience.
From the poor response from the bell captain and bell boys at the front drive....to the refusal to honor my hotel room upgrade which they had sent me the day before and I had purchased..was supposed to have upgraded to a high floor view of the bay and Coronado Island...instead I was on floor 20 with a view of the loading docs at the factory next door....not even a view of the city.....to the noisy room ( sounded like pigeons nesting outside the room....noisey all night)....to the lack of a variety of restaurants.....poor service in the cocktail lounge.....phones difficult to use in the rooms.....
food and beverages served at the meetings were pulled and many folks didnt even get morning coffee? Rooms and food far too expensive for what we got....Conceirge was contacted the day before we arrived to ask for help in finding an AA meeting close to hotel....he did call me back but suggested I look at a site IN THE ROOMS to find a meeting....I know more about that site than he did...other hotels have always had a list of AA meetings....times...distance to them...whether they were in a safe neighborhood or not.....no help here either when I got to the conceirge at the hotel...he seemed "too busy" to really care.....bellmen who brought luggage to and from room were personable...room maid was very efficient and nice....everyone else seemed overwhelmed with thei rjobs and too busy to really give you any sense of personal service.....hotel is in poor location....1-2 mile walk to any restaurants or services outside the hotel....concrete jungle around hotel....
will not stay there again......dave p

Room Tip: good luck they will give you the room they want not what they promised....
1 Thank dave2002
Thank you for your recent review and your helpful feedback. I am happy to hear that the housekeeping staff was friendly efficient and that the bellman that brought you your luggage was so courteous. I sincerely apologize for your experience at the hotel. I am very sorry that you felt the staff was too busy to help and that you were unhappy with your guestroom view. I am very sorry for your overall experience and I would like to speak with you directly to see how we can reconcile these issues. I do not want any of our guests to leave our property feeling dissatisfied and unhappy with their stay. I want all of our guests to have a positive experience and enjoy their visit to San Diego. Please contact me directly at katie.ellison@hilton.com so we may speak further about these issues. Thank you for taking the time to write a review with your candid feedback. This information only helps us become better. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We were more than pleased, we were impressed. The hotel was very clean, modern, and comfortable. The service was excellent for diamond members and our room had an amazing view. There were a lot of restaurant choices in the hotel and the location was great. You can walk to many different places downtown. My only regret was that we weren't able to stay longer. Love San Diego and can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your amazing 5 star review. I am elated to learn how much you enjoyed your stay and that you can’t wait to return for another visit! I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom with beautiful views of the bay and I also want to thank you for your loyalty as a Hilton Diamond member. I am pleased to know that you found the property to be clean, modern, and inviting. I am sorry you were not able to stay as long as you would have liked, but hopefully on your next visit you can stay a bit longer. We hope to see you soon! Thanks again!
London
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Fast check-in to then to wait hours for a room; we were not alone...the main lobby, eating areas and Promenade lobby full of people and bags waiting for rooms to become available. The whole experience of the stay was underwhelming and felt very expensive. We left a day early.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikeUK4
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
Thank you for your review and your feedback. I appreciate that you took the time to let us know how we are doing and what areas of customer service we can improve upon. I am very happy to hear that you had an easy and quick check-in and that you chose to stay with us. I do sincerely apologize that you had to wait longer than you would have liked for your room. We do everything we can to quickly and as seamlessly as possible get guests checked into their rooms, but sometimes, things may not go as smoothly as planned. I appreciate your patience and I will relay your feedback to our Director of Rooms to communicate your frustration and see what we can do to expedite the process. Thank you for your helpful feedback! I do hope you visit us for another stay on your next trip to San Diego.