“Fine dining” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cowboy Star

Cowboy Star
Reserve with OpenTable
Cowboy Star is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #224 of 4,699 Restaurants in San Diego
Price range: US$14 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Market and G Street
Transit: San Diego Trolley Blue Line and Orange Line: exit "Park and Market" Public Buses 5, 901, and 929 stop half a block from our front door on 10th Avenue.
Description: Cowboy Star is the first restaurant in San Diego’s East Village to serve up a unique dining experience by combining contemporary American cuisine with a western flare. Winner of the 2008 Orchid Award for Interior Design, the restaurant features exposed beam ceilings‚ cowboy accents‚ and classic landscape photography giving Cowboy Star a welcoming atmosphere where locals gravitate.A stunning display kitchen is the focal point of Cowboy Star, offering an insiders view of the action. The bar at Cowboy Star offers a stylish and cozy environment complete with large leather booths, a fireplace and hand-crafted cocktails. The Old West ambiance provides a laid-back and stylish background perfect for private parties and special events.
San Diego, California, United States
“Fine dining”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Cowboy Star has a nice enterior but noisy. The food was presented well but not hot. It could be 5 star if they warm the plates and make sure the food is hot when served.

Visited February 2012

New York City, New York
“Pricey but worth the splurge!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Service was great, food was delicious, the menu was tight and more unique than expected but my crab cake, skirt steak and apple cobbler was yummy!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ke301
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“Oooh my goodness mmmmm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Had a great meal after spotting this as trip advisor number 1 restaurant. It certainly lived up to it with both food and service. We booked at the last minute in a sunday evening and just made it in time for our 8:15 reservation ( this is their last reservation on a Sunday )
Ordered the 20oz cattlemans cut rib chop ( better known to us British or French as coc de boeuf ) best steak I've eaten in 47 years! Total bill very reasonable for this class of meal. All dishes very well executed and service fabulous. Only downside was that it's very dimley lit, which I'm finding is the norm
In USA however it was hard to read the menu.

San Diego, California
“Lovely, romantic, great food & service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

I took my husband to Cowboy Star for his birthday at the end of March. He wanted to go to a good steak house and we happened upon this place while searching in Trip Advisor. We were surprised to see, at that time, that it was rated #2 in San Diego and we had never heard of it (it's relatively new). Because we normally prefer local, smaller restaurants, rather than large chain restaurants, it was an easy decision to try it.

It was off the beaten track in downtown San Diego, but easy to find. We're not big on the Gaslamp scene, so we were happy that it wasn't in that area, and we didn't have to deal with crowds, traffic and inconvenient parking. There is on-street parking and a parking lot directly across the street (note: the lot is between owners right now, so it's free!)

From the outside, the restaurant looks "ok", but we were very pleasantly surprised when we walked inside. The interior has a lot of beautiful wood, with wood beamed ceilings, and it was lovely. The restaurant has a very warm and romantic atmosphere, and the rounded booths are very cozy. There is a fireplace in the dining room which also added to the ambience. One of my pet peeves is restaurants who have the lights turned up so bright, you feel like you're in a cafeteria. Well this place nailed it on the lighting. It was perfect. There is an open kitchen where you can see chefs hard at work, but it wasn't noisy at all (one of my concerns with open kitchens).

The food was delicious, and cooked perfectly. For an appetizer we had a crab cake that was delicious. Big chunks of crab, and not a lot of filler. For dinner, my husband had a filet mignon that melted in your mouth (you really didn't need a steak knife to cut it). I had the bone in ribeye, which was good, but honestly, I wouldn't order it again. Although it tasted very good, it was a bit tough, especially for the price. Next time, I will order the filet, or perhaps try the duck. One other nice thing about this restaurant is that their steak dinners come with accompaniments (vegetables, potatoes, etc.), unlike most where you order everything ala carte.

For dessert, we had the bread pudding, and it too was excellent. I was a little surprised that they didn't offer anything free for a birthday dessert (they did put a candle in the bread pudding), however, I have mixed feelings about that. I think it's a very nice gesture to provide a free dessert for a special occasion, however, it seems that it's usually something that I wouldn't have ordered anyway. For special occasions, I'm not looking for a good deal, I'm looking for quality and a nice evening, so I'd prefer to order what I want anyway.

The service was also excellent. From the moment we walked in and were greeted by a very friendly hostess who instantly made us feel welcomed, to our waiter, Jason, who was very friendly as well, and attentive (but not too attentive).

All in all, it was a wonderful evening at a very nice restaurant, and we would definitely consider going back.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank WED439
San Diego, California
“Great Steaks - Good Wine - Friendly Atmostphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

This is a sure crowd pleaser with a really charming atmosphere. Food is excellent and service very attentive. Prices are on the higher side of the scale but expected from a fine dining restaurant.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank TravellingMan19866

Been to Cowboy Star? Share your experiences!