Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Vacation Nomad
Santa Barbara, California

Poor service, Avoid Room 615

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Mar 4, 2024via mobile
I previously stayed at this hotel when it was the Palomar and had an amazing birthday weekend, 5 star experience. Fast forward to 2024 birthday weekend and if it wasn’t for my friends it wouldn’t have felt special. We arrived late, tired from a 4 hour drive and were welcomed with the hotel was sold out and my room was on a low floor. They forgot to mention that it was on a corner next to a closet, with a window facing other buildings and the worst room lighting I seen in a hotel room. It was dark, if I didn’t open the windows, which then made the room less private cause it looks right at another hotel room I would be walking in the dark. Even when I turned all the lights, which there was only three dim ceiling lights other than the bathroom.

Also as far as acknowledging my birthday which I noted and told the front desk when they asked why we were visiting I received no acknowledgment. During my last visit I was upgraded to a sky loft suite, a bottle of wine and cookies were waiting for me in the room when I arrived. This time, nothing. I made the most of the stay but if you get assigned room 615 please request a new room you will thank me later other than a central location just a 2min walk to the heart of the gaslamp this hotel now a days offers little. I will try a new hotel during my next visit to SD.
Date of stay: March 2024
Room Tip: Don’t book room 615
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Responded Mar 6, 2024
Thank you for returning to stay with us and sharing your feedback. We're disappointed to hear this visit didn't meet the high standards of your previous experience. We understand the importance of a special occasion like a birthday and regret any missed opportunities to make your stay memorable. Rest assured, we're dedicated to improving and hope to have the chance to exceed your expectations in the future, ensuring a stay that's as special as the company you keep.

C$185
    C$291
    C$322
18.2 km from Kimpton Alma San Diego
View more hotels in San Diego
All reviews downtown area an upgrade recommend this hotel front desk renovation suite valet
Selected filters
Reviewed March 2, 2024

Bradly at the bar was amazing! Great service and great cocktails! We ordered an old fashioned and an espresso martini. Both were delicious. The chicken wings were so crispy and flavorful a simple dish that was executed so well. Definitely worth stopping in for.

Room tip: Downstairs they do wine hour 5-6 don’t miss it!
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
General Manager, General Manager at Kimpton Alma San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2024

Dear Dan,
We greatly appreciate your review and high rating! Thank you so much for the spotlighting our tasty food and amazing team members. Your compliments will be passed along to Bradly and we hope you will come back and join us again in the future!

Reviewed March 2, 2024

Room was very nice but had terrible sleeps because the light rail was right below my room and even though I was on the top floor it was extremely loud. The train blows its horn every time it enters the station and at all hours. I get that the hotel can’t control the train noise but they could install better windows for noise control or even offer white noise machines on request. I did mention the loud train and lack of sleep when they checked in by text but did not hear anything back. The evening cocktail hour is a lovely touch.

• Trip type: Travelled solo

Dear Alaina,
We are sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience with us overall and we apologize for any noise issues during your visit. We understand your frustration regarding this matter and we will be sure to keep your feedback in mind for the future, as we always want our guests to have a relaxing experience. Please consider giving us another chance in the future; we know that we can impress you.

Reviewed March 1, 2024

Great stay. The food was delicious at Desmond. Aria was an awesome server and recommended some great dishes!
Beefy Cheeks and scallops were delicious.
The hotel is a great place to stay as well.
The location is good and lots of good bars and food.

Trip type: Travelled with family
General Manager, General Manager at Kimpton Alma San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2024

Dear Paul,
It was such a pleasure to welcome you to Kimpton Alma San Diego! We're delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had the chance to dine at The Desmond. Receiving recognition for our delicious culinary offerings and stellar service is always appreciated. You can be sure we'll share your praise with Aria! Hopefully, you took full advantage of the convenience our great location affords our guests. Thank you for your kind review and perfect rating, and we hope you return soon!

Reviewed February 27, 2024

Absolutely wonderful customer service. Everyone friendly and helpful especially Noah. Our room was wonderful and the bed so comfortable and the best pillows. Loved our stay. Hot chocolate machine in lobby was too much fun. Especially good to add to my coffee. Will definitely stay there again.

Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
General Manager, General Manager at Kimpton Alma San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded February 29, 2024

Dear Karen,
It's fantastic to hear about your wonderful experience with us, highlighted by exceptional customer service from Noah and our team. We're thrilled you found the room, bed, and pillows to your liking, enhancing your comfort. The hot chocolate machine is indeed a fun touch, especially when added to coffee! We eagerly anticipate your next visit and look forward to making it just as memorable.

Reviewed February 26, 2024

Staff was super friendly. Room was very clean. Sufficient Gym and swimming pool, amazing location. Walking distance to most places. 2 mins to gaslamp. 20 min to little Italy. 1 Mon to the trolley and bus stop. I would go back to the hotel . Highly recommended

Date of stay: February 2024
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
General Manager, General Manager at Kimpton Alma San Diego, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2024

We’re delighted to hear about your recent experience with us, and we’re so pleased that you recommend us to your fellow travelers! It’s great to know that our hospitable team, impeccable accommodations, and lovely amenities helped make your trip a memorable one. Additionally, we're thrilled you took full advantage of our excellent location, and we appreciate you mentioning it to your fellow travelers. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!